Coopers Community

BrewBQ (or Brew n Q) - for you Kelsey

joolbag

Smoked and Cured have some great stuff.

I have bought some books, one called Charcuterie and the other Salumi. Both by the same authors and both provide very good information and reasons behind the techniques they use.

I HIGHLY recommend buying a book and reading to understand the process.

https://www.smokedandcured.com.au/charcuterie-the-craft-of-salting-smoking-curing/ < can be found cheaper elsewhere.

You want curing salt #1 with 6.25% nitrite.

https://www.smokedandcured.com.au/500g-1-curing-salts-for-semi-dried-meats-6-25-nitrite/

50 grams kosher (iodine free) salt

14 grams pink salt/ cure #1

50 grams brown sugar

60 ml maple syrup / honey or leave out

2.25 kg (or around) pork belly skin on

rub cure on belly and place in fridge.

Turn every day for seven days. (poke it and touch it to see the change)

Take the belly out of the cure and rinse.

Leave on a rack in the fridge - uncovered - for 12 to 24 hours.

Hot smoke to 65°c internal temp.

Cool, slice - BACON!!!!

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not so much in this I guess, apart from no need for the iodine. With sauerkraut it is vital as the iodine kills the lacto.

Just what the recipe called for and I like to be careful with this stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

The Snake link you posted uses bricket's & they only light the 1st 5 or 6, you said

"lit 3/4 of a chimney of charcoal for 30mins, then dumped it on the head of the snake."

So you lay out a ring of charcoal then dump 3/4 of a chimney coal lighter onto the end?

If ya photos where still up I prob wouldn't need to ask wink

I have a non webber kettle, Keen to have a bash.

Damn Photobucket changed their policy on 3rd party links to their hosted pics. I need to go to imgur or tinypic (or just use the upload function on here)

To answer your question, yes I light 3/4 a chimney of extruded charcoal. I stopped using Heat Beads briquettes because I didn't trust the additives in them, especially for a snake method. I use Firebrand extruded charcoal that is manufactured, but from 100% natural products. The Firebrand do not stink when they light, where Heat Beads do.

The 3/4 chimney worth gets the temp up straight away, so you don't even have to wait for the cooker to heat up or more coals to catch. Good for a cook when you want to eat lunch at lunchtime, not late arvo.

Pics can be found via direct link http://s102.photobucket.com/user/joolbag/profile/

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up a small charcoal smoker/grill from BCF earlier for 100 bucks with a box of hickory chips. Just need to get some charcoal now and some pork belly and the curing ingredients to have a crack at making some bacon with it. I've assembled it but that's it so far as obviously there's nothing to use in it yet tongue Looking forward to having a go though!

21150124_10214544761121351_1922814315778662892_n.jpg?oh=d1b32e125e0e43d8bdd9ab34a77c0fc1&oe=5A193194

Cheers

Kelsey

Great to see Kelsey!

Make sure you do a burn in without food first to get used to the temps and to burn off any factory paint/coating.

Did you get yourself a digital thermometer with both bbq and food probes?

Will do Jools, good tip. I can always use my mash thermometer, it is actually designed for this exact purpose, and either buy another one to replace it for brewing or buy one specially for the smoking/slow cooking of meats. That Inkbird one sounds good though, will look at it too.

I do have a pretty accurate spirit thermometer that I can use for brewing as well as a couple of old mercury lab thermometers. Will work it out though.

• 4 weeks later...
Finally got around to ordering these items since I have everything else I need other than the pork itself. I found the book on eBay for $41.50 and also found 900g of the curing salt for $20, both free postage.

Most of the bacon we eat is short cut (back) bacon, so I'll look at doing some of that first up.

Cheers

Kelsey

so mate have you used the smoker yet, or is your first cook going to be bacon? If so, that's ambitious! But you're a clever cookie and can clearly follow a recipe so I daresay it will turn out well

Heading to a mate's place, his new apartment and we are doing a BrewBQ this Sunday. He hasn't brewed AG in this new place yet, nor fired up the Weber. So will be a good christening for his place.

Thanks Ben! I'll be sure to post the results.

I haven't used it yet Jools, but I will set it up for a cook and light it with no food in it soon, probably this weekend, just to get an idea of temps etc. Yes bacon is the main reason I bought it lol, the recipes I've seen on the net seem pretty straightforward but I'll wait until the book arrives and see what's in there as well before I do my first one. What I've seen on the net with back bacon is they simply submerge the whole thing in a curing mix for 2 weeks then rinse it off, dry it and smoke it. But anyway, I'll have a look at the book first.

Cheers

Kelsey

Kelsey, based on the fact you can homebrew well, you'll be without issue.

Read the book, understand the thinking and the science and you'll be fine.

The smoked chicken and stuff in there is great too.

Pastrami is really good home made.

Kelsey' date=' based on the fact you can homebrew well, you'll be without issue.

Read the book, understand the thinking and the science and you'll be fine.

The smoked chicken and stuff in there is great too.

Pastrami is really good home made.[/quote']Yeah, it seems like a pretty straightforward process. The book and nitrite are on their way, so I'll have a read of it when it gets here and then start getting on with the bacon makin'. lol

I probably will expand into doing other meats in the smoker/grill as well in time. Slow cooked ribs sound bloody delicious.

The pink salt arrived today, so I went and grabbed a pork loin on the way home from my first half. I'm making the Canadian bacon recipe from the book, just without the herb additions, so I guess it's more like the shortcut bacon we usually buy. Just finished boiling the cure/brine and will fridge it tonight once it cools down. Tomorrow I'll add the pork loin, and should be smoking it on Sunday.

The recipe was 4L water, 350g salt (non iodised), 225g sugar, and 42g curing salt #1.

Instructions basically mix it all together, boil it, let cool to room temp then fridge it.

Once it's cold, submerge the pork loin in the brine and weigh it down with a plate or something, leave in fridge 48 hours, then remove from brine and rinse off, allow to dry on a rack in the fridge for 12-24 hours and then hot smoke to 65C internal temp.

If for some reason the meat won't get to 65C in the smoker, I'll just remove it after a few hours and finish it off in the oven, at least it'll still be smoked.

Cheers

Kelsey

Will do mate. Just put the pork loin into the cure a couple of hours ago, so I'll take it out on Saturday, rinse and dry it off etc. ready for smoking on Sunday. Having read a bit more of the book it suggests smoking at about 200F/93C, which won't be a problem for my unit. I think I got confused thinking it was meant to be 200C. rolleyes

1507178425_76_974.jpg

Cheers

Kelsey

Earlier today I removed the loin from the cure/brine, rinsed it off and patted it dry with a paper towel, and then cut off a slice and fried it up for an early taste test. It smelt delicious in the pan and tasted excellent too, somewhat reminiscent of a ham steak but definitely more bacon like. It was then placed on a rack in the fridge to dry out more and will be smoked tomorrow, then cooled and sliced. I think the smoke will definitely improve it, but it's good to know from this early sample that it worked as intended. Next time I might try leaving it in the cure an extra day to see how it goes, but I'll wait and see how the finished product turns out first.

Here's what the loin appeared like once placed on the rack, and the slice in the pan.

1507383570_65_90.jpg

1507383593_13_366.jpg

Cheers

Kelsey

Well, the first go at this bacon thing has been a success. Still gotta refine my process for using the smoker itself but it still ended up heating the meat to the right temperature in the end and the process itself went pretty smoothly for a first try. There are some improvements that can be made though. Will get hold of a meat slicer soon for the next lot too, should be easier to get it cut uniform than a knife.

Improvements for next time include the abovementioned smoker use, and leaving the pork in the curing brine for 4 days instead of 2 days. The saltiness was probably a little low, and there is a slither of meat in the centre of the loin that wasn't penetrated by the cure (can probably just see it in the 4th picture).

Overall though, while it presented more like ham steaks in aroma when 'raw', once it was fried in the pan the classic bacon aroma wafted around the kitchen, and it tasted pretty much exactly the same as that aroma. The smoke really comes through in it too which added an extra dimension compared to Saturday's sample tasting. Lovely and crispy as well. Better than any of the bought stuff I've had in the last few years. I'm already looking forward to having another go and improving upon this one cool.

A few pics from yesterday's sesh; the smoker, the bacon in the smoker, afterwards cooling down, slicing it up, and finally frying some in the pan to see how it all went.

1507515307_53_985.jpg

1507515316_19_829.jpg

1507515333_22_634.jpg

1507515349_52_37.jpg

1507515380_47_276.jpg

Cheers

Kelsey

Cheers mate. Yeah I'll definitely improve the more I do it, same as brewing really. It's not a difficult process but obviously takes some fine tuning to get the best outcome.

Either way it was fun trying something new and I'm really happy with the outcome, so I'll definitely be continuing with it. biggrin

Archived