Coopers Community

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Thanks for the advice so far. All good stuff. I said Kelvinator but it's actually an old Westinghouse. I think I'll be able to find a safe place to drill for the gas line. Away from the controls obviously. The HBS guy was going to sell me 5 metres of gas line and 5 m of beer line but then he just said "Here. You can use this for both." and sold me a 12m roll in a bag from Kegland. I think it's 8 / 5, but I'd need to check. I've been taking everything apart and I don't think the guy who owned this stuff cleaned his lines very often. It was a no-brainer to buy new lines and refit everything to my fridge, but I just took one of the panel mounts apart, and it is filthy inside. They are going to take a bit of cleaning, which begs the question, when in use how often should they be stripped down?
  3. My two favourite shades of green
  4. Went to a Thirsty Camel as well. And being on Russell Island in SE Queensland I couldn’t really resist. Had a few Schooners last night from the tap and it went down nicely. Even the monkeys don’t give a XXXX.
  5. I thought it was time for a change, on special at the Watermark (Thirsty Camel) for $19.99 x 6 pack only trouble, is I didn't get my 1c change. Still nice on a cold day.
  6. Today
  7. Looks good Stquinta, I don't mind a Red Ale, in fact I might have a go at one.
  8. Getting to the end of a 10l keg of Return of the Red IPA. Lovely brew, great colour too
  9. Mexican for dinner. I also got hold of some tomatillos to make a green enchilada sauce.
  10. I got my regs from KegLand. https://www.kegland.com.au/products/duotight-inline-in-line-regulator-with-integrated-gauge-for-water-or-gas-8mm-5-16-push-in?_pos=1&_sid=80617cbd6&_ss=r You probably know but a one way valve for the gas line isn't a bad idea. However, manifolds usually have one built in. They aren't particularly exy in my opinion. I think you can pick a 4-port like mine up for <$30. Line length depends on the line size and pressure. Liquid usually is 8mm outer diameter, 4mm inner (5mm for gas). For gas lines, it doesn't matter in the grander scheme of things. My liquid lines are 4mm and around 3.5m long for a serving pressure of about 12-15psi. You can do 12psi with less though, so 2.5 probably is fine. I'm no scientist or gas fitter, so I just do what I am told SWMBO doesn't think so though. Driloing holes in a fridge is less scary than a freezer. The door is usually fine but the sides may contain lines. My two ferment fridges have a plate inside tight at the back, which does all the chilling, so I presume the sides are fine. In fact, one of them had a latch and lock bolted to them on the side and there doesn't seem to be anything in the way. So it all depends on the fridge you have.
  11. Let the fun begin. I just went and spent some money on new lines, clamps, O-rings and teflon washers for the panel mount line connections. I have thread taps for pipe threads and I not long ago made a solid brass 6-way manifold for my compressed air, so I'm probably looking at similar for this unless it's really cheap to buy one. Perhaps a 3-way would be handy for 2 kegs. @Aussiekrautwhat are those little inline regulators worth and where did you get them? Old mate at the HBS said my beer lines should always be 2.5m long between the post and tap and coiled up to get good head. Any family friendly thoughts on this? I was also warned about just drilling holes anywhere in my fridge. Apparently, some of them have pipework in the side walls. Is anybody familiar with old Kelvinator's?
  12. What you doing in Buffalo? Didn't know you were going overseas
  13. Sorry, didn’t see @Aussiekrauts post
  14. The long dip tube is the out and the short is in,
  15. Yes, the dip tube goes to the Out post. The short tube on the in post. Get yourself a keg repair kit. They don't cost a lot and have all the spares you need to have. Posts, seals, etc. It's helpful. Yes, a manifold and inline regulators are the way to go. The manifold gets fed from the main regulator and the inline regs connect to each of its ports. You can even turn gas for a keg off completely without having to turn the bottle off. Please excuse the shonky craftsmanship. It's pretty good for somebody with two left hands I have the main regulator set to 40psi and the little inline ones to the individual pressures. I colour-coded the regulators, the disconnects (in and out) and even the top of the taps, so I know exactly what goes where. 4 different colours of nail polish do the trick quite nicely.
  16. Well thanks for that encouraging projection into my future. Is a 33 year marriage a good run? I've already lined up 4 extra kegs (I think, anyway). The guy I bought this gear from already told me that running 2 different kegs from the one regulator didn't allow for the different pressure requirement of each keg and he had to adjust the reg to use each one. Inline regs and manifold? The gear has sat unused for some time so, needless to say, it requires cleaning, and the O-rings are broken. Look out, as I'm about to pick your brains. I'll try to find out as much as I can by my own investigations but I'm sure I'll have questions. The bottoms of the kegs are a bit stained, so I currently have them soaking in Aldi Oxy. I might need some PBW. The dip tube post is meant to be the OUT I presume, which means that one keg is assembled the wrong way around.
  17. So I went to Country Brewer around the corner and got myself a 30l Apollo Snubnose. Problem solved
  18. Yep. The next thing is a smaller gas bottle you can use to push cleaner and sanitiser out of the kegs and flush them with CO2 to avoid oxygenation because it is annoying having to use the big gas bottle and disconnect a keg for a few minutes. Then you realise the freezer is indeed big enough and you want to use it for ageing lagers only. But a pluto gun would be good to take samples and maybe another little gas bottle for just that purpose. Then of course come more kegs, etc. Been there done that. IT started with a 3 tap kegerator. Then it became a 4 tap and of course, I needed more kegs, so another 3 kegs. Ahh that's all I need besides another 2 kegs to have spares and two pluto guns because the two kegs in the chest freezer need a serving implement too. Add a little gas bottle to the freezer to be able to gas up kegs before they go into the kegerator. Ok, now I have all I need. Then again, some inline regulators and a manifold, so I can have different serving pressures in the kegs. That is really everything I need now. By now I have 10 kegs, one big and two small gas bottles, the kegerator and the keezer and I am still thinking about what more I could get
  19. The porter that will get the rum barrel treatment. One point under the pre-boil estimate but two points over in OG. Nice and dark and sticky. It’ll go in the FV tomorrow with a Nottingham starter.
  20. I thought it was a fair deal. I'm on my way to collect it after convincing the boss that it can also be used to make soda water / soft drinks. It's local to me at only 5 minutes away which is what caught my eye. I have 2 STC 1000 heat controllers for ferment fridges and only use 1 at the moment. I also have a good Fischer and Paykel fridge only unit (half a pigeon pair) that I can use for fermentation without doing damage to it. If I've got cold beer in kegs, I can live without that one. I also have a small upright freezer but I'm not sure it will be big enough to hold 2 corny kegs. I'll work something out. Oh well, here I go down the slippery slope of kegging.
  21. Good deal. A new 19l Corny keg alone is about $120. Find yourself a cheap fridge on Gumtree or somewhere and keep the ferment fridge. It is more important. A chest freezer will do as well but you will need to build yourself a collar for the taps and gas line hole. In case of a freezer, I recommend a temp controller as you do not want to freeze the beer But yeah, go for it.
  22. Yesterday
  23. I might avoid this. Oops. Only second use and not over-carbonated as far as I know.
  24. I have the opportunity to purchase some kegging equipment. 2 X 19l kegs, a near full "my keg on legs" 6.8 kg gas bottle (owned not rented), drip tray, 2 taps, lines and fittings etc. All I need to do is repurpose and use my little fermentation fridge. All gear is only $200. I think the gas bottle is over $320 on its own. Good deal or not?
  25. I never used it, so I can't speak from experience but the numbers range widely from what I can tell. I looked at three posts and got numbers ranging from 2yrs, 5yrs and (if unopened) "prolly forever".
  1. Load more activity