Coopers Community

Coopers commercial yeast minimum temperature?

King Ruddager

...Anyway' date=' here's the thing - if you ferment a DIY Beer size batch at that temp you won't get the same characters thrown by the yeast. To get the sort of ester profile that we see from a 170,000litre brew, you need to ferment a 23litre brew at a temp at least 18C or higher. [img']sideways[/img]

Reading that thread again I vaguely remember it but given I don't use CCA yeast I probably didn't pay any real attention to it.

So we have the information there, my question is why is it the case?

Hi Markoman. smile

i'm still baffled as to how so many here are getting different results with same strain

For me finding out why will only lead to me making better beer

My guess would be a combination of varying pitching rates & the original gravities of the brews we are using our CCA yeast on.

Another possible cause may also be that our temp controlled fridges are not entirely accurate. unsure

Just my 2 cents' date='

Lusty.[/size']

Reading that thread again I vaguely remember it but given I don't use CCA yeast I probably didn't pay any real attention to it.

So we have the information there' date=' my question is why is it the case? [/quote']

Do we have any ideas on why the yeast would behave differently on a 170 kilolitre batch at 17c v a 23 litre batch at 17c assuming same ratio of yeast pitched?

Hoping there's a simple answer that won't take advanced degrees to understand

I'll run my next CPA brew warmer and see how it goes , last one went down well with my Cooper's drinking friends

May even split batch and run side by side .....what a shame I just bought another fridge :-)

Do we have any ideas on why the yeast would behave differently on a 170 kilolitre batch at 17c v a 23 litre batch at 17c assuming same ratio of yeast pitched?

That's exactly what I'm asking. Not arguing the point, just wanting to understand why it is so. Honestly I have no idea, aside from maybe that in a huge batch like that it might ferment with more vigor than a little 20 odd litre batch.

• 2 weeks later...
Hmmm' date=' my dark ale has reached 1.017 and it ought to be 1.008. I reckon I'll throw a US05 in it and see if anything else happens[/quote']

Has it been going at about 2 points a day KR? or has it completely stalled? Had it go very slow a couple of times. It is probably still going just chugging along. My longest batch with CCA took about 20 days in primary.

Has it been going at about 2 points a day KR? or has it completely stalled? Had it go very slow a couple of times. It is probably still going just chugging along. My longest batch with CCA took about 20 days in primary.

Not sure actually. I'll re-measure it tomorrow. It's had ... 16 days so far though

Not sure actually. I'll re-measure it tomorrow. It's had ... 16 days so far though

One thing I have found KR is you need to pitch more yeast with CCA. 1L starters just dont cut it. It will chug away forever and you will get a heap of banana esters. I always pitch 2L starter and do it at 17c max 18c. Plenty disagree with me but found that anything over that gives too much esters. Great yeast but the starter needs to be bigger.

Still baffled here ' date=' last run with this yeast strain exceeded exp. FG within 7 days .

i have calibrated my STC and other thermometers against a borrowed lab grade one .

either i'm doing something really well or very wrong and i'm not sure which [img']unsure[/img]

With a bigger starter I agree.. 7 days is about right when I do a 2L starter into a 1045 wort. A 1L and its double or more. It just doesn't seem to multiply/grow like a US-05 type yeast where I only use 1L starters and its done within a week.

Hi Ruddy.

I reactivated 6 bottles (the video only shows 4 because I did two the next day) to the letter of the instructions

I hadn't watched your video on the Dark Ale until now. I watched it in the hope of seeing if all the stubbies you used showed obvious signs that the yeast in each of them was viable. Such is the fast pace nature of Fast Homebrew' date=' I couldn't see if each of the stubbies puffed up the glad wrap upon shaking them or not. Did each of the stubbies show this obvious sign of C02 being produced?

If each of the six used did, I must admit I am at a bit of loss to explain the sluggish/stalled ferment.

Hmmm' date=' my dark ale has reached 1.017 and it ought to be 1.008. I reckon I'll throw a US05 in it and see if anything else happens[/quote']

Two days later (day 18 now) and it's gone down just a fart to 1.015~1.016

I'd be pitching some more yeast to finish the ferment.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Two days later (day 18 now) and it's gone down just a fart to 1.015~1.016

Yep. Thats the way the yeast works unless you pitch a fair bit of yeast. You will have banana flavours coming out everywhere I am guessing.

Archived