Coopers Community

BrewDog Recipes

Hairy

I've made 3 of the recipes now (5AM Saint, Dead Pony Club, and Jet Black Heart). In each case when I've put the hop schedules (assuming 60, 15 and 5 min additions) into brewing software (IanH spreadsheet), it has calculated IBU's significantly lower than what the recipe would suggest. To get the correct IBU's for the majority of these recipes, you will likely need to increase the amount of bittering hops used. Other than that, the recipes seemed to be pretty good to me and with the hop schedule adjustments turned out great!

Cheers!

Patrick

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 10 months later...
KR' date=' if the recipe quantities look ok in terms of flavour, I wouldn't worry about the predicted colour at all. 120 EBC is pretty dark ... very dark for a lager anyway. 50 EBC is more in the range of what I would expect for a Baltic Porter for example.[/quote']

+1

Any comments on the colour anyone? As I said' date=' based on their recipe I calculated at about 50, they say 120!! What gives?[/quote']

On the base recipe as it stands you are correct. However, there is a "Brewer's Tip" listed on the DIY Dog version of the Zeitgeist that says...

Inspect the colour of the wort during boiling. If it is not quite dark enough' date=' extend the boil by 10 - 15 mins and check again. The wort will darken during the boiling process.[/quote']

This extended boil likely assists Maillard type reactions to further darken the colour of the wort. Your bitterness addition has near plateaued @ 60mins anyways so it won't create any negatives by extending the boil on that front. You'll just have to inspect the wort prior to when you plan to add your hop flavour addition & decide whether to extend the boil further before adding it or not.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Skimming through some of these recipes I started to become suspicious of some of the numbers... I think there are quite a few errors - the numbers just didn't stack up on several recipes I ran through BS. One really obvious example was:

#9 Hype

New Zaaland Pale Ale, IBU=65

Bittering Hops

2g Nelson (60 min)

Flavour hops

5g Nelson FO

2.5g Amarillo FO

unsure

Skimming through some of these recipes I started to become suspicious of some of the numbers... I think there are quite a few errors - the numbers just didn't stack up on several recipes I ran through BS. One really obvious example was:

#9 Hype

New Zaaland Pale Ale' date=' [b']IBU=65[/b]

Bittering Hops

2g Nelson (60 min)

Flavour hops

5g Nelson FO

2.5g Amarillo FO

unsure

I've had a good look through many of the recipes listed in the DIY Dog for Brew Dog's recipes & a lot of the numbers don't add up. Given they are a craft brewery that experiments on almost every batch, many of the recipes listed are likely from "chicken scratches" (for a better term) made on sheets of paper prior to brewing certain beers, & then simply filed for future reference.

In the case of this recipe, the quote on the hop bill is likely meant to be "grams per litre", not purely grams.

If you follow the grams per litre formula, a hop schedule such as the following arises, that seems to fit the descriptors they give for the final beer flavour etc.

Nelson Sauvin (12.6%AA) 2g/per litre (40gms) @ 15mins = 22.93 IBU

Nelson Sauvin 5g/per litre (100gms) @ 5 mins = 31.5 IBU

Amarillo (7.8%AA) 2.5gms/per litre (50gms) @ 5mins = 9.75 IBU

Total IBU = 64.1 that is inline with the recipe outline quoted IBU of 65.

Remember BrewDog are very unorthodox with their hop schedules in many cases, & they're Scottish (I think) which inherently means they like to talk in riddles! wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

#9 Hype

New Zaaland Pale Ale' date=' [b']IBU=65[/b]

Bittering Hops

2g Nelson (60 min)

Flavour hops

5g Nelson FO

2.5g Amarillo FO

unsure

I've had a good look through many of the recipes listed in the DIY Dog for Brew Dog's recipes & a lot of the numbers don't add up. Given they are a craft brewery that experiments on almost every batch, many of the recipes listed are likely from "chicken scratches" (for a better term) made on sheets of paper prior to brewing certain beers, & then simply filed for future reference.

In the case of this recipe, the quote on the hop bill is likely meant to be "grams per litre", not purely grams.]

Yeah, that's most likely it, though that would inconsistent with most other recipes where it's clearly it is just grams. Anyway, it's just something for folks to be mindful of when assessing the recipes.

cool

Archived