Coopers Community

US05

Nick

Hi Guys, its been a long time since my last visit and its good to see some familiar names are still lurking about. I just have a quick question. I have always used US05 yeast for my ales and IPA's, but the last batch i made has formed a very thick krausen that still hasent dropped after 12 days. When i tap the fermenter some of it starts to drop, but i am about to cold crash and was wondering if CC'ing will drop it, or should I agitate it or even stir it to get it to drop before I CC?

TIA, Nick.

Welcome back mate!

A cold crash will probably fix it. I actually had a similar issue on a starter that I made with this yeast last weekend. It actually formed a krausen on the stir plate and then refused to drop even well after the yeast itself had begun to settle out in the flask. I then stirred it all up again to harvest some of the yeast into a jar and that got rid of it before I fridged it in prep for pitching the following day.

It seems to be reasonably common with US-05. I think I've read Furry the Abdominal Snowman ( :) ) has had that too, and he beats the heck out of the fermenter with his brew spoon and a lot of it seems to drop. I did the same thing a few months ago and it worked for me too.

However, I wouldn't encourage you to take the lid off and stir it.

I have found it a common trait with US-05. It forms a krausen that hangs around for ages and then one day it just drops like magic.

Cold crashing should speed up the process and you can also give the side of the FV a bit of a whack.

And welcome back!

Edit: what Antman said.

Thanks Chaps, that all makes sense and I do remember reading in an older thread that Hairy likes to give it a whackbiggrin. I'll do that tonight and CC on Sunday. I am not brewing as much these days and often ferment for 2 or 3 weeks and CC for a week or 2 on top of that.

I have never had this problem with US05 in the past, which is why i thought I'd ask. The only difference with this brew is that i steeped about 400gms of Crystal and added to the wort, but that's the only difference.

Nick.

Hi Nick

I don't believe I've had the pleasure of meeting you, but I managed to sneak in here when PB2 must have been going through his "I don't give a stuff" phase.

...I do remember reading in an older thread that Hairy likes to give it a whackbiggrin

Yeah. It's incredibly inequitable and something has to change. It's free if it's himself, but you should see what he charges for others.

Archived