Coopers Community

liquorice extract in cooper irish stout?

boxerloc

Hi all getting back to brewing after 7 years away.

Had a sad exit when moving towns and the 180 long necks FULL that were 6 months old and should have been reaching their prime were all thrown in the bin

Why you ask? I tryed low carb powerder and F@** me it turned it to the dryest dry beer ever created undrinkable!

Got one on now cooper sparkling ale( double brew) with cascade dry hops in the metal ball never dry hopped before hope it does something good

I have a few questions guys never done a stout before

I am going to do a triple brew coopers irish stout with 3 x mangrove jacks irish stout No. 74 fermetables

is it worth adding liquorice extract in it and what does it do?

should I half prime the bottles with the stout?

cheers

There are likely to be many smarter people here than I, but I find absolutely no way to answer your stout question with significantly more information, viz:

1. When you say triple brew, do you mean a volume of 63 litres? 69? Or what.

2. Is it 1 can of TCS Irish Stout or 2 or 3?

3. The only info I can find on the 1 kg packs of MJ #74 Brew Enhancer is it contains "malts, hops and sugars". Is there any further info of the individual components with actual quantities?

Otherwise it would be a pure guess from me at least.

I mean a triple brew 69 L but I will do 60 Lts with the 3 cans and 3 x No. 74 fermentables.

ingredients in the pack are dextrose, malt extract malted barley, black malt grains,hops.

but no exact amounts

the guy in the shop suggested it and liquourice extract to give creamy head but I dont want it to over power the brew especially in those quantities.

Is it worth adding the liquorice extract? It depends if you really want it or just going by what the LHBS said.

I would go without it for the first batch and see how it goes. 69 litres is a lot of beer to waste if you don't get it right.

Thanks guys for the tips,

I just finished the triple brew. I only have the one fermenter so the lot goes in thats how I did it in the past

do four triple brew in one month all bottled away

thats over 300 Long necks in a month

the only way to go I reakon makes drinking aged beer achievable if you know what I mean

I put the whole 30mls in I tasted a drop straight and it tasted good raw so it will be fine in the wert.

Cheers guys

• 4 weeks later...

Archived