Coopers Community

Mid-Strength Nirvana

Beerlust

Coincidentally Ben' date=' I recently picked up some MJ's British Ale yeast based on yours & a few others recommendation of it to try in a brew soon. [img']wink[/img]

It's good stuff. I had one kick off in less than 8 hours... really who gets that from a dry yeast?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coincidentally Ben' date=' I recently picked up some MJ's British Ale yeast based on yours & a few others recommendation of it to try in a brew soon. [img']wink[/img]

It's good stuff. I had one kick off in less than 8 hours... really who gets that from a dry yeast?

With that sort of lag time, it sounds like it's been slipping between the sheets with a Saison yeast! biggrin

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys.

Burning the candles at both ends today.

Just removed the Mosaic & Citra dry hop bags from the brew & replaced them with the 20gm Riwaka addition. I have to say the aromas coming out of the FV were awesome!! happy

On my way home from work tonight/yesterday? I stopped off & grabbed a couple of those Pirate Life Throwback IPA's I mentioned at the start of the thread, just to remind me of why I'm brewing this beer in the first place.

Geez it's an awesome beer @ 3.5%ABV. I'm gonna brew something just like it, if it's the last thing I ever do!

I'm hoping I've got something in the same ball park with this brew. If I have, it's definitely opened up a whole new world of lower ABV brews I'll make using the Coopers Sparkling Ale kit as the base.

As much as a brewer can pray for a brew to turn out well, that's me with this one. I've never chased ABV% intentionally in the beers I make, just flavour given a certain style of beer. If I can produce a full flavoured kit based brew @ 3.5% ABV, It'll come in damn handy at times & certainly be a recipe I'll brew over & over again for myself, friends, & family. cool

Looking good so far, but fingers are certainly still crossed at this point given a few of the unknowns.

3-4 days with the Riwaka dry hop, then crash chill & keg probably this coming Friday. Will update again in due course. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Fast carbed this brew up earlier today.

It's turned out really well for what I was aiming for. Nice malt backbone, nice bitterness, nice aroma, & drinks really well I reckon for a 3.5% ABV beer.

One area it can be improved is the hop flavour. Don't get me wrong, it's OK, but would be better with more hop punch in that area. I'll be brewing this again for sure, & will most likely brew it almost as is, but I'll switch out the Ella @ flameout for a more citrusy hop, & increase the overall level of hops in that post boil steep area.

Promising brew. happy

Cheers,

Lusty.

...That said' date=' if you're spending the time to mash grains for mini mashes, why not simply increase the amount to get more control of your recipes?[/quote']

Pots, pans, lower create-able volumes, an oven, a stove-top burner, & occasionally I can't be bothered with long brew days & will mix up a kit-based brew with some added steeped grains/added hops for a short brewday.

That sums up my reason to stay where I am pretty well. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hey guys

I feel I must chime in on this conversation to say I strongly agree with Otto on this one. Lusty, you are obviously an experienced brewer with a good sense of recipe creation. I must say that you are really limiting yourself by remaining an extract brewer. Moving to AG will only open new doors to a whole other realm of this great pastime. If you are already doing mini mashes then you are should already be spending nearly as much time as a full AG brew if you are doing it properly. Like Otto said. Get yourself an urn and ditch the pots and pans. You really won't regret it.

You are a good brewer so stop mucking around and make the next step!

I use both methods for practical reasons. I no-chill in the winter months when it is impractical to run at sub zero temperature. In the warmer months I use an immersion chiller. Personally I think the latter is a superior method as it gets brew day done in one day rather over a few ( I know this could be argued the other way which does have some merit for sure). As a chiller you don't have to mess around with washing cubes and storing them. But the best reason I have for chilling is sanitation. I think it is way safer from the danger of infection if you chill it right away and pitch a really healthy yeast starter to it.

Don't get me wrong, though the no-chill method does have its place. The chill method is a better one in my opinion if you have the choice.

How very Canadian, eh!?smilewink

Hi Chad & John. smile

Hey guys

I feel I must chime in on this conversation to say I strongly agree with Otto on this one. Lusty' date=' you are obviously an experienced brewer with a good sense of recipe creation. I must say that you are really limiting yourself by remaining an extract brewer. Moving to AG will only open new doors to a whole other realm of this great pastime. If you are already doing mini mashes then you are should already be spending nearly as much time as a full AG brew if you are doing it properly. Like Otto said. Get yourself an urn and ditch the pots and pans. You really won't regret it.

You are a good brewer so stop mucking around and make the next step![/quote']

You really did enjoy that Amber Ale didn't you! biggrin

I appreciate the sentiment, but you're far too kind Chad. I just got lucky with that one. wink

But then Lusty would either have to buy a wort chiller or join the troublesome ‘no-chiller’ mob that he mentions quite often

So I guess it's a little bit more than just buying an urn - perhaps a philosophical shift!

It's scary how well you're beginning to read me! ninja

I'll eventually make a small volume AG brew down the track. The whole AG thing just isn't on my radar atm.

Cheers & good brewing' date='

Lusty.[/size']

Yeah, well I couldn't agree with me more on that one. tongue

I'm willing to bet that whenever you do get around to doing a full AG batch, you'll ask yourself why the hell you didn't do it sooner. I wanted to get into it months before I did (which would have been after about 6 kit and/or extract brews), but finances at the time didn't allow for it.

As for the chill/no-chill.. well I think they both have their place. It's a personal preference thing to me. No-chilling wouldn't be the popular and accepted method that it is, if it routinely caused infections. Now, I'm not saying that it can't happen, but it is extremely rare if you do it properly. The method works just as well as quick chilling does, in that sense. I've done nearly 30 batches without issue, and still have my original cubes from nearly 3 years ago. I did have an issue with one batch but that was due to an infection in the yeast starter, not the cube.

It's also a convenience thing. I disagree that chilling is quicker in the sense you are talking about, unless you want/need the brew fermenting ASAP. Otherwise, it is of no issue that the wort sits in a cube for days or weeks before it is fermented because there is no requirement to get it fermenting. The whole reason behind no-chilling apart from saving water, is to brew it on one day and ferment it whenever. The brew day is still done in one day tongue. It simply gets transferred to the cube near boiling instead of chilled and transferred to an FV. The advantage here is that you don't require an empty FV in order to do the brew day. In other words, timing of fermentation and packaging schedules is a non-issue.

I could quite easily go and buy a chiller and do it that way, but the convenience of no-chilling is an advantage which outweighs that, in my case. I usually do my brew days on weekends, but I could pitch yeast into a new batch or bottle the fermented beer on any day of the week; I work that out based on how many bottles I have left in the cupboard shelf that the new batch will be going into. By the time the new batch is ready to be bottled, its shelf in the cupboard is empty of whatever was in there previously.

Obviously everyone has their own schedules and methods, and combinations of each that work best for their situation. Neither of us is right or wrong, we just do what best suits us. cool

Cheers

Kelsey

lol Good one.

It's all in good nature anyway. It's up to you when or if you move on from extract brewing, nobody can make you, it's just I and by the sounds of it Chad as well, just think you'd probably enjoy it more - the recipe creation, the process and the end result. I know I did and still do, but everyone's different I suppose. cool

I always used to think, "Oh I'll never move into that AG stuff.. too complicated for me, and these beers are turning out fine as they are..." Where is that clown now?? lol

I reckon it's time Otto and I paid you a little visit' date=' Lusty. Time to talk some sense into to him[img']biggrin[/img]

lol

Well, with kegging and becoming a yeast daddy and having the bar there as well... it's the logical next step really. tongue

You guys are relentless! lol

I feel like I'm in the WCW in a tag team match, only I don't have a partner! crying

If anyone knows a 'Hulkster' of extract home brewing, please forward his details to me. I am in particular need of someone who can SLAM in an extract sense!

IPA Slam that is. tongue

biggrin

lol Nothing wrong with a bit of shit stirring biggrin

At least you are taking it in the spirit its intended' date=' a lot of people these days are so uptight that they would just see it as a personal attack or some such garbage. [img']rolleyes[/img]

+1

You & I joined the forum around the same time & despite some different paths we've both taken with our brewing, from that point have always maintained a good rapport with one another. I often poke fun at myself & my misgivings, & it's comforting to know if I miss anything along the way, that I have an ever-growing group of online brewing mates that will quickly make me aware of any I've missed! (yourself included of course!) lol

You all know who you are (no I'm not giving notoriety to you lot!), & I value your serious brewing input just as much as I enjoy your humour, even if it is at my expense. wink

I'm such an easy target. I'll have to work on that! lol

Cheers,

Lusty.

• 4 months later...

Hi guys.

My first attempt at reproducing a beer close to the mid-strength Throwback IPA made by Pirate Life Brewing, exceeded even my own expectations. I was genuinely surprised at how good it turned out.

Time to brew it again with a couple of small adjustments based on my observations identified from the first brew.

Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale kit 1.7kg

Light Dry Malt Extract 500gms

CaraHell grain 200gms

CaraBohemian 200gms

½ tsp yeast nutrient @ 15mins

Cascade 25gms, Ahtanum 25gms, & Centennial 20gms 3½ litre hop tea steeped @ 75-80°C for 30mins

Centennial & Ahtanum 25gms each dry hopped

Nelson Sauvin & Motueka 15gms each dry hopped

US-05 yeast from 1 litre starter

Brewed to 23 litres

Ferment @ 18°C

OG = approx. 1.036

FG = approx. 1.009

EBC = 15.3

IBU = 36.2

Kegged ABV = 3.5%

I'm really looking forward to this one once it's ready for drinking.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hi guys.

My first attempt at reproducing a beer close to the mid-strength Throwback IPA made by Pirate Life Brewing' date=' exceeded even my own expectations. I was genuinely surprised at how good it turned out.

Time to brew it again with a couple of small adjustments based on my observations identified from the first brew.

Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale kit 1.7kg

Light Dry Malt Extract 500gms

CaraHell grain 200gms

CaraBohemian 200gms

½ tsp yeast nutrient @ 15mins

Cascade 25gms, Ahtanum 25gms, & Centennial 20gms 3½ litre hop tea steeped @ 75-80°C for 30mins

Centennial & Ahtanum 25gms each dry hopped

Nelson Sauvin & Motueka 15gms each dry hopped

US-05 yeast from 1 litre starter

Brewed to 23 litres

Ferment @ 18°C

OG = approx. 1.036

FG = approx. 1.009

EBC = 15.3

IBU = 36.2

Kegged ABV = 3.5%

I'm really looking forward to this one once it's ready for drinking.

Cheers,

Lusty.[/quote']

That looks so tasty! I want to give the sparkling ale kit a go, where abouts did you get the ahtanum?

Hi DylanL7.

That looks so tasty! I want to give the sparkling ale kit a go' date=' where abouts did you get the ahtanum? [/quote']

I'm lucky enough that my LHBS carries it here in SA. Don't fret if you can't get hold of any of it. It's basically a crossbreed of Hallertau, Cascade & First Gold. If it were me, I'd just sub it for some Chinook. You'll get a nice spice & grapefruit character from that hop similar to what Ahtanum offers. You could use Hallertau, but I'd only use it in the hop tea, and wouldn't use it for dry hopping.

I'm just guessing, but are you over in WA Dylan? unsure

If so, the following two online brewshops are based in WA.

Malthouse Home Brew Supplies

TWOC Brewing Supplies

Both had a good range of hops, the latter having slightly better pricing, range, & packaging sizes. They'd be the one to approach about possibly getting in specialized ingredients/products I'd reckon.

I hope that was of some help.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Archived