Coopers Community

More of the same on Craft Beers in Aus

antiphile

i only just opened the penultimate issue of Choice and saw they had an article about craft beers vs the Big Breweries Some of it is all too familiar, but there some interesting info in there, especially some of the contracts the big boys make the pubs sign.

Regrettably, being away, I had to post the article as 4 images. But if interested, you can download them with these links.

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

G'day P2, this raises a question in my mind, limited as it is, why do many large companies that we are exposed to here in Australia seem to see market domination in the form of a duopoly or monopoly as a reasonable expression of a capitalist ideology? unsure

I would not answer this observational question in a public forum as the ramifications may be beyond my ability to deal with. What little I have I would like to keep. rolleyes

Remember folks the corporations from overseas and some local ones see us as "Treasure Island" and guess what part of our society seems happy to expedite this? rolleyes

Cheers.

Hi P2 & Magnaman. smile

It's a good article.

It does tell a familiar story though. This duopoly of sorts has been going on even before foreign ownership took control of our country's two biggest breweries.

It's been dirty tactics from them both primarily against one another, & indirectly against the smaller breweries (Coopers included) for a long time now. Maybe back as far as the 1970's (or longer)? unsure

Interestingly the article quotes 83% owned by this duopoly. Of the remaining 17%, I'd bet Coopers hold a large chunk of that too, so it would be interesting to know exactly what remained as a share in the true craft brewing market.

The easiest way to deal with the issue (IMHO) is to stop the 'giants' being able to demand tap positions for dollars upfront, & restrict increased buying agreements enticed through further discounting or bonus based schemes where the craft brewers simply can't compete.

If after a decade or two of this level playing field, a beer such as VB or XXXX Gold or Toohey's New etc. emerges as still being the largest selling beer in the country then at least it will have EARNED that position as a taste preference by Australian drinkers rather than it being forced upon them through grossly limiting the competition & what I like to call "Domination Dollar Marketing". I can certainly live with that. That doesn't mean I'll drink any of them, but I can live with that. tongue

I've worked in the hotel/bottleshop industry for 14 odd years now, & could I tell a few stories. whistling

If there are enough interested in some of the methods adopted by the larger breweries & suppliers, I'll gladly elaborate further on a few ways they go about continually controlling it. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

I just don't support them with my $. I can't remember the last time I bought a schooner of generic lager. The more people support their local brew-pubs (if they have them), or family owned businesses like Coopers the better. Thankfully the Coopers Pale tap is usually a saving grace at the pubs I visit that don't brew their own beer.

G'day Lusty & P2, when I was a young bloke, back in the 1970's and having a few at the pub in Sydney, the options were a Tooth's pub or a Thooey's pub new and old but in the Tooth's pub's there was Reches Draught the only other option was the size of the glass you drank it from, in South East Queensland the option was XXXX, Carlton and Brisbane Bitter and in Victoria Carlton Draught on tap the odd pub had Melbourne Bitter and VB was only in take away of some sort. wink

While the owners may have changed the breweries hold on the taps are just as tight, they don't want competition, they want profit at all costs and don't get in their way. surprised

They make zero $ from me these days. tongue

Cheers.

I just don't support them with my $. I can't remember the last time I bought a schooner of generic lager.

I' date=' like you John am exactly the same. Unfortunately the problem exists in much deeper roots within the industry. Ask an 18 y.o what they know of Australian produced beers & you'll get a pretty limited range mentioned from them. Most of which is what can be afforded to be commercialized, placed on billboards, bar taps, & plastered all over the inside & outside of hotels & bottleshops.

The more people support their local brew-pubs (if they have them), or family owned businesses like Coopers the better. Thankfully the Coopers Pale tap is usually a saving grace at the pubs I visit that don't brew their own beer.

+1

...but they need that level playing field to start with. Marketing towards younger people at the earliest points available is where it's at, because that tells those persons what they should be doing & the direction they should be heading to fit in with the majority at a time when most are vulnerable & wanting to fit in with the "in crowd".

The earlier you get 'em, the longer you usually hold 'em. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Two can play at that game. The craft beer industry needs to take a hold before they hit 18. Perhaps try to get into school canteens' date=' home brew in science class etc.[/quote']

I wish they'd had that when I was at school. lol

They could teach home brewing in the home economics class, maybe as a sort of "food pairing with types of beer" lesson. tongue

I don't buy the generic lagers at the pub either, but the problem is that most of the craft brew options on tap at most pubs are owned by the same behemoths that own the two major Australian breweries. And unfortunately, I'm not much of a fan of CPA. You really have to go to a dedicated craft beer bar, or brewpub to get one that isn't.

Two can play at that game. The craft beer industry needs to take a hold before they hit 18. Perhaps try to get into school canteens' date=' home brew in science class etc.[/quote']

lol

Hey, here's an idea, let's just get 'em brushing their teeth with the stuff at around kindy age! wink

You're taking the Jamie Oliver theme a bit too far there I think Hairy! tongue

Kudos for the thought process though! biggrin

...but they need that level playing field to start with. Marketing towards younger people at the earliest points available is where it's at' date=' because that tells those persons what they should be doing & the direction they should be heading to fit in with the majority at a time when most are vulnerable & wanting to fit in with the "in crowd".[/quote']

Yes, I think you're right there. If you don't seek it out in the back corner of the bottle-o, or are introduced by a friend, why would you walk past the stacks of cartons at the front? Especially after seeing the big brands plastered all over TV, billboards, sporting events etc, it's what everyone you know drinks and there's a sale on. It's only someone like Coopers that can even try and compete - I was waiting for my bus the other day and suddenly realized I was sitting next to a Coopers Best Extra Stout advertisement. Whereas if I hadn't actively sought them out, I don't think I would have ever found out about any of the 3 local brew-pubs.

It has come to the point where you've got to actively search out alternatives. And to search them out you have to know they exist and be motivated enough. Thankfully the owner of my local bottle-o is a huge beer-lover and has a pretty massive range of imported and Aussie craft beers. Things like beer festivals and beer week raise awareness I guess.

Archived