Coopers Community

The Adelaide Heatwave

Beerlust

Absolutely sweltering here in Adelaide atm. :(

I had to put off starting a brew last weekend because of it. I normally primary ferment in my brew fridge for the first week, then take that FV out & condition it for the second week under controlled ambient conditions for the second week before bottling. I slot a new brew in the brew fridge at the same time. Not this time with temps like below all week long.

We had 42°C on Monday, it reached 45.1°C (4th hottest day on record) yesterday, forecast is for 45°C today, 46°C tomorrow, & 40°C on Friday.

Who said there is no such thing as global warming?

Cheers,

Anthony.

It is almost as bad in Melbourne. 40degrees+ for 4 days in a row. I've had an empty fv staring at me for a week and a half! This is my first summer as a home brewer and while I love the sun I can't wait to get back into some more consistent brewing.

I could be worse though. I could be playing tennis.

John, it is a bit of a challenge to "enjoy" a heatwave.

The good thing is the boss said it is too hot to stay at work so got the afternoon off, the vineyard can wilt in the heat without me being there to see it.cool

The bad thing is the thermometer on the top of my brew fridge under the pergola outside says it is 49.4 degrees. crying

On a positive note it is holding 4 degrees inside the fridge where it is keeping drinks cold. biggrin

On a sad note my stocks are dwindling & I need the brew fridge back in production to replenish stocks. crying

Talk about being stuck between a rock & a hard place..

Yeah Greg, I probably used the wrong word "enjoy" and should have said "endure".

This morning around 9.30am we had a blackout which lasted for nearly an hour. I though, oh oh, Victoria and SA are sucking out all our juice.

Anyway mate, your fridge is still chugging along at 4C, so no problems there.

Commiserations to everyone out there whose brewing schedule has been ripped apart due to the heat wave.

I know you will all survive, that is if you have adequate supplies of chilled beer to see you through the present drama.

Hi GregT5.

On a sad note my stocks are dwindling & I need the brew fridge back in production to replenish stocks. crying

Talk about being stuck between a rock & a hard place..

Perhaps look at removing a rock? tongue

It sounds like you are using your outdoor fridge for dual purposes. Both for holding beer at temps for drinking' date=' & for use with fermenting? [img']unsure[/img]

Perhaps it's time to get another secondhand brew fridge, or to empty out the hundred odd jars of stuff SWMBO has crammed onto one shelf of your household fridge that she uses maybe once or twice a year! biggrin

Good luck if you attempt the latter of the two Greg. whistling

Ooooooooh, we have emoticons back! happy

Sorry for the emoticons overload. They just burst out after such a long hiatus. (Note no emoticon after this sentence, balance is restoring.)

I'm looking forward to the day off work tomorrow & out of the 40°C+ heat I've worked in all this week.

Bottle day tomorrow for my Fruit Salad Ale using the Wyeast 3333 German Wheat.

(insert a BIG KEV "I'm Excited!!" icon). About time we got one of those! wink

Cheers,

Anthony.

This weather is good for absolutely bloody nothing.

Just last week at the botanic gardens we were happily observing a colony of flying foxes which live high up in the trees there, not part of the zoo, but just hanging out.

Today I read that over 90 of the little fellas have dropped dead and fallen from high up in the trees, around a tenth of their colony.

Bring back winter, this heat is shit.

My Mild was in the fridge for the entire ferment but is now sitting at ambient. surprised

I know it's not ideal, but once bottled my beers are left to fend for themselves so I don't see how it could be any different from keeping them in the shed.

The forecast says 29 for tomorrow. Usually that would be too hot for me, but it will seem like bliss after the pig of a week we've had.

The forecast says 29 for tomorrow. Usually that would be too hot for me' date=' but it will seem like bliss after the pig of a week we've had.[/quote']

Being in the same state, & not that far from you, I'm hearin' that.

Cheers,

Anthony.

The cool change has hit...it's down to 33 degrees. biggrincrying

Lusty, my problem is we already have a kitchen fridge & a smaller fridge which are both fairly full. The brew fridge was "spare" over Christmas so it was seconded into action as the drinks fridge.

Hopefully this week it will revert to 18 degrees inside & "normal programming" will be resumed. happy

On a side note I have just got back from Tanunda tasting Barossa Valley Brewing's wares. On the way home happened to drop in on a mate & had a Coopers Pale out of the NEW SLIMLINE BOTTLES alien

Funny thing is it tasted like Coopers Pale Ale AND it fitted in the stubby holder just nicely. innocentwhistling

Lusty' date=' my problem is we already have a kitchen fridge & a smaller fridge which are both fairly full. The brew fridge was “spare” over Christmas so it was seconded into action as the drinks fridge.[/quote']

As Yoda might say, "I sense the fear in you" about dumping that shelf of seldom used jars owned by SWMBO! Given your non-acknowledge of this obvious truth, tells me it exists! Bahaha! lol

Being in the same state' date=' & not that far from you, I'm hearin' that..[/quote']

That would be a touch too close for me biggrin

I love you too! kissing

Hehe. biggrin

Exit, stage right...

Anthony.

Lusty' date=' if it is any consolation, if I lived in Adelaide I would call in to see you and take some of your beer off you [img']cool[/img]

If it's any consolation, if I was in a car driving anywhere near Penrith,.......I'd keep on driving! lol

Just kidding. If I was ever anywhere near Penrith (besides being obviously lost or the Sat Nav batteries being dead), it would be to come & have a beer with you. cool

That's something I still hold some hope for.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Geez!

I'm the least scary of the two of us in this discussion for the mere fact that I'm not the one who lives in Penrith! It's not like "Local Penrith Area Tourism Minister" Hairy hasn't told us enough about the place! lol

I thought that was obvious! wink

Even scarier if there is a possibility that Lusty could just simply jump into a car and drop on for a visit at any time!

This is where I actually pray the Sat Nav batteries die on-route. wink

Cheers,

Anthony.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived