Coopers Community

Coopers Dark Ale Recipe

Bassman

Has anyone had a go recently with the coopers dark ale recipe. I have started one today using a coopers pale ale can, 760g of dark liquid malt extract (country brewer brand as coopers unavailable) and 300g of coopers brewing suger. Just used packet yeast. All fermenting at 18c with the help of a converted old box freezer with a temp regulator. OG was 1.047

I am just starting to drink my recent dark ale brew:

Coopers Pale Ale tin

1kg Dark Dry Malt

250g Pale Choc Malt grains steeped overnight in cold water

kit yeast

It is a low bitterness beer but has a nice toasty choc/coffee taste.

Hey Greg and Bassman, trying my first dark Ale based brew at the moment. Kind of made it using spare ingredients, pretty much a variation of the old spiced recipe.

0.20kg - Dark Crystal

30g Amarillo - steeped 25mins

Dark Ale kit

BE2

2 tsp cinnamon

Kit yeast

Filled to 22L

Not overly hopeful, but who knows?

Coopers Pale Ale tin

1kg Dark Dry Malt

kit yeast

Do you think you could just steep the grains at 68 degrees for 30 minutes and get the same effect?

Coopers Pale Ale tin

1kg Dark Dry Malt

kit yeast

Do you think you could just steep the grains at 68 degrees for 30 minutes and get the same effect?

I have never done it but it is suggested that cold steeping the dark grains will give you less astringency.

I think this recipe is attempting to get closer to the commercial dark ale' date=' which is actually nowhere near as dark or bitter as the OS dark. Happy to be corrected, but that's the recipe in the how to brew section, yeah?[/quote']

I'm certainly not disagreeing with you Philbo, & am aware of the recipe listed in the How To Brew section.

However, given Coopers seem to want to emulate as close as possible a number of their own beers with kit tins under their own label, I do find this more than just a bit bizarre, & definitely somewhat counter productive to what their aim may be with this kit if this is the case.

Like Philbo, I'm happy to be corrected here.

Cheers,

Anthony.

I haven't brewed with spices before. Is 2 tsp cinnamon a lot or subtle amount in 22 litres of dark ale? Just curious.

I've done the dark ale with 2tsp of cinnamon and it was quite ... different.

One thing I would recommend is not mixing it in the fermenter - try steeping or boiling it and then straining the cinnamon out. It clumps together really weirdly (kinda like algae or something) and you can't help but get these massive blobs of cinnamon coming through when bottling.

I haven't brewed with spices before. Is 2 tsp cinnamon a lot or subtle amount in 22 litres of dark ale? Just curious.

One thing I would recommend is not mixing it in the fermenter - try steeping or boiling it and then straining the cinnamon out. It clumps together really weirdly (kinda like algae or something) and you can't help but get these massive blobs of cinnamon coming through when bottling.

Why not drop a couple of cinnemon sticks or pieces of cassia bark in the fermenter. That wont cause issues at bottling time

Well that's encouraging [wink]. I will cold condition the heck out of it, hopefully, the blobs will drop out into the trub. I was tossing up on whether to dry hop it, this thread has convinced me to do so. [happy]

Archived