Coopers Community

Duckstein Porter

Hi Guys,

I have been pretty quiet on here lately, but will post my tasting notes of 80 beers from GABS soon.

However, I had my "Epiphany" beer over the weekend.

Duckstein porter. Easiest way to descripe it is...bounty in a glass. The choc malts open up as you keep drinking, and it very subtly takes full control of your senses and you beg for more.

So, I want to brew something similar. Probably a mix of choc malts, very little roastiness, and lots of coconut.

Are there any yeasts or hops that give coconut aromas, or am I looking at using fresh coconut?

My first thought is use the coconut milk in the wort as a fermentable, and shaved coconut flesh in the FV.

I have only had experience with the JS Porter before this (and they are galaxies apart...) so no idea where to start with a Porter and what hops or what are the best malts to use.

I will do some research but any advice or thoughts would be great!

Looking at extract brewing this with specialty grains.

Thanks!

Im hoping the 80 beers were small and spread over the entire weekend [biggrin]

I can't help either. I don't particularly like coconut so it isn't going anywhere near my beer.

[surprised But what do you put in your Thai curries!?!?!?!

A fork!

I don't mind coconut milk and I can handle coconut where it isn't the dominant flavour. But I hate lamingtons and bounties [sick]

I can't really help bud' date=' but take a bump to make sure your thread doesn't end up in Siberia! [lol']

Can't say I had ever thought of coconut in beer before, I'll be watching this one!

Haha thanks. Seems there are a few coconut or coconut-ish porters around, just not on our side of the pond. I found a few threads with people getting decent results from 400gms of toasted coconut in a 20l~ batch. Some say it is enough, others reckon it lost the flavour after a few months in the bottle.

Hairy, fair enough, if you don't like Bounty or Lamingtons then steer clear haha.

So many Black IPA's that tasted similar, and I am getting over the hop bomb type of IPA/PA now. Too many are similar.

I'll pull together a recipe soon and see what you think Phil.

I have only had experience with the JS Porter before this (and they are galaxies apart...) so no idea where to start with a Porter and what hops or what are the best malts to use.

research assignment #1: get your hands on the Lobethal Bierhaus's "Red Truck Porter".

I am getting over the hop bomb type of IPA/PA now. Too many are similar.

Agreed, big time. [roll]

I brewed so many hopped up APA/AIPA beers that I think it'll be a long time before I can brew one again. I've gone off dry hopping completely, and the last half-dozen brews have been stouts/olds/ESB/Belgians.

This is as good a place as any to advise any new brewers. Keep exploring different styles! There are too many nice styles out there to focus on one or two for any length of time!

research assignment #1: get your hands on the Lobethal Bierhaus's "Red Truck Porter".

What are the other beers like? I might just get a mixed carton for $100 delivered :|

Do you know of any places that will deliver and stock the Red Truck Porter?

NVM, I found a list on their site, once it worked in IE instead of Chrome.

I accidentally made a chocolatey porter recently. I don't have the recipe on hand at the moment, but I recall it had something like 200g choc malt and 300g black patent in it. It was purely an experiment but it turned out bloody beautiful. [biggrin] I'll hunt down the recipe, I did post it on here when I came up with it. It may not be exactly what you're after, I've not tried Duckstein Porter so I can't compare them, but it still turned out a very nice drop. [cool]

This is the recipe I did. If you're not doing AG brews then just sub the base ale malt for 2 cans of extract and a box of LDM or something. The specialty malts can just be steeped in a couple of litres of water as you normally would.

6.00 kg Joe White Traditional Ale Malt

0.35 kg Black (Patent) Malt

0.20 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L

0.10 kg Chocolate Malt

0.10 kg Roasted Barley

30.00 g Fuggles [5.40 %] - Boil 75.0 min

30.00 g Goldings, East Kent [6.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min

20.00 g Fuggles [5.40 %] - Boil 20.0 min

0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins)

20.00 g Goldings, East Kent [6.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min

I used S-04 yeast but you could use any English ale yeast, or whatever you like really. I will definitely be making this recipe again. [biggrin]

This is the recipe I did. If you're not doing AG brews then just sub the base ale malt for 2 cans of extract and a box of LDM or something. The specialty malts can just be steeped in a couple of litres of water as you normally would.

6.00 kg Joe White Traditional Ale Malt

0.20 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L

0.10 kg Chocolate Malt

0.10 kg Roasted Barley

30.00 g Fuggles [5.40 %] - Boil 75.0 min

30.00 g Goldings, East Kent [6.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min

20.00 g Fuggles [5.40 %] - Boil 20.0 min

0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins)

20.00 g Goldings, East Kent [6.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min

I used S-04 yeast but you could use any English ale yeast, or whatever you like really. I will definitely be making this recipe again. [biggrin]

Thanks heaps for that. What OG/FG did you end up with?

This is what I am looking at (used Beersmith for the first time ever, can get more hop bitterness by adding the 1kg DME at the end of boil)

1.00 kg Light Dry Extract

3.00 kg Pale Liquid Extract

0.20 kg Carafoam

0.20 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L

0.10 kg Chocolate Malt

0.10 kg Roasted Barley

30.00 g Fuggles [5.40 %] - Boil 75.0 min Hop 12.8 IBUs

30.00 g Goldings, East Kent [6.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 14.5 IBUs

20.00 g Fuggles [5.40 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 4.9 IBUs

0.30 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining -

20.00 g Goldings, East Kent [6.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 3.5 IBUs

500.00 g Toasted Coconut (Primary 7.0 days)

2.00 Items Vanilla Bean (Primary 7.0 days)

1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) [23.66 ml] Yeast

Est Original Gravity: 1.062

Est Final Gravity: 1.016

Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.1 %

Bitterness: 38.6 IBUs

Est Color: 70.9 EBC

Added carafoam to combat the coconut oils.

Did you have much of a coffee flavour? I want to avoid that.

That looks like a pretty good recipe too.

My OG and FG was 1056 and 1017. IBUs about 45. ABV 5.5%. I think I mashed it at too high a temperature resulting in a higher FG than I wanted, but it still tastes bloody nice. I can't say I have noticed any coffee flavours in it though, but I will try one again tonight after work and report back to this thread.

One thing to note with Beersmith is that it doesn't take into account the bottle priming sugar when calculating ABV %, so I usually aim for about 0.5% less than what I want when formulating recipes on it.

That looks like a pretty good recipe too.

My OG and FG was 1056 and 1017. IBUs about 45. ABV 5.5%. I think I mashed it at too high a temperature resulting in a higher FG than I wanted, but it still tastes bloody nice. I can't say I have noticed any coffee flavours in it though, but I will try one again tonight after work and report back to this thread.

One thing to note with Beersmith is that it doesn't take into account the bottle priming sugar when calculating ABV %, so I usually aim for about 0.5% less than what I want when formulating recipes on it.

Cool, I didn't realise that about Beersmith. I adjusted the LDME to 500gms and after the boil, which put me at 47IBU, and adjusted the hops a little for 40IBU. The Duckstein Porter really wasn't bitter from hopping, so hopefully this works.

1053 - 1014

5.2% before bottling.

I'll make any other adjustments depending on how it still tastes :)

Yeah, I don't know why they don't have an option to account for the priming sugar but anyway. I first noticed it when I did an ABV calculation on one of my brews and it turned out the same as Beersmith's before I added the little extra for the priming sugar. I have added the priming sugar to the main ingredients which brings it up to the right level but it does alter the predicted OG.

Anyway, I'm just having one of my porters now from that recipe and I can't detect any coffee flavours in it. There's a hint of a chocolate flavour, and roasted flavours; it could just be my tastebuds but yeah, I'm not noticing any coffee in it. [cool]

Yeah, I don't know why they don't have an option to account for the priming sugar but anyway. I first noticed it when I did an ABV calculation on one of my brews and it turned out the same as Beersmith's before I added the little extra for the priming sugar. I have added the priming sugar to the main ingredients which brings it up to the right level but it does alter the predicted OG.

Anyway, I'm just having one of my porters now from that recipe and I can't detect any coffee flavours in it. There's a hint of a chocolate flavour, and roasted flavours; it could just be my tastebuds but yeah, I'm not noticing any coffee in it. [cool]

Awesome. I may double the choc malts to blend with the coconut more.

• 3 weeks later...

Otto,

I cut back the black malt a little and added more choc. 500gms of toasted coconut dry hopped for 5 days.

Just cracked a bottle after only 4 days and got a nice psst. Primed to 2.0 vols and the carbonation is better than most of my last 2 brews! I did mix the beer and sugar solution well this time, so that is probably it. It might even be too carbonated...will see in a few weeks.

I get a good amount of coconut aroma and taste, some choc but not much roastiness, which is on the right track.

I will try this with AG for sure and add in the oats that I am sure were in the Duckstein.

Thanks for the guiding recipe, looking fwd to this in a month or 2, and this is the first beer I have been happy with so early.

EDIT: 1062 OG

1017 FG

US-04 1.5 packs (half a pack stuck to the krausen ring as I pitched the 2nd pack 3 days later)

6% before priming..so 6.3% or so.

Archived