Coopers Community

Caramunich goes really well with/in a ...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've used it in a sort-of Oktoberfest style beer. It wasn't one of my shining moments but it had nothing to do with the Caramunich.

Craftbrewer list some styles that it is appropriate for:

Craftbrewer - Caramunich

Which looks like it is from the Weyermann website:

Weyermann Caramunich

And I assume it is the same as the Briess Caramel Munich.

Briess Caramel Munich

Or just follow Greg's advice [cool]

I'm just about to bottle a brew I made with Caramunich. From taste testing my gravity readings I've got a good feeling about it.

It was part of a Perfection Pale Ale recipe kit I bought from Brewer's Choice , but I only used the Sparkling Ale kit ,Ultra Brew & Motueka hops to make the beer I posted about previoulsy.

The leftovers from the recipe kit (Crystal , Caramunich , US-05) went into this brew I'm bout to bottle , with the addition of some Liquid Amber , brewing sugar , Northern Brewer , Perle & Goldings hops , I think its gonna be more like an American Amber Ale.

I'll let you know if I think the Caramunich is noticeable.

Okie dokie, I've made a recipe for "Ruddager's Amber Ale III" from these leftovers why not. Here goes ...

1.5 Kg Light LME

1.5 Kg Amber LME

500g Light DME

250 or 350g (if that's not too much) Caramunich

50g Chocolate Malt

30g Cascade @ 60

25g Cascade @ 45

15g Cascade @ 20

15g Cascade @ 10

15g Cascade dry hopped

6L boil, 23L total

No, I'm not some kind of crazy cascade guy, it's just easier for me to get 100g of something from the LHBS and use it all up instead of trying to store leftover hops.

Any thoughts? Comments? Perhaps I should resurrect one of the amber threads ...

Okie dokie, I've made a recipe for "Ruddager's Amber Ale III" from these leftovers why not. Here goes ...

1.5 Kg Light LME

1.5 Kg Amber LME

500g Light DME

250 or 350g (if that's not too much) Caramunich

50g Chocolate Malt

30g Cascade @ 60

25g Cascade @ 45

15g Cascade @ 20

15g Cascade @ 10

15g Cascade dry hopped

6L boil, 23L total

No, I'm not some kind of crazy cascade guy, it's just easier for me to get 100g of something from the LHBS and use it all up instead of trying to store leftover hops.

Any thoughts? Comments? Perhaps I should resurrect one of the amber threads ...

Hi there KR, its a good looking recipe...if you added a can of OS Lager, it could have been a winner[devil]

I also reckon it sounds like a nice brew. I think those hop additions will go well with regard to balancing the sweetness of the amber and cara in the recipe. I'd be inclined to double the dry hop but it may come at the expense of one of the other hop additions and reduce the IBUs a bit. You need a vac sealer[biggrin]

Your Highness, I think the recipe looks good.

There is nothing wrong with a 45 minute addition if that's what you want to do. Sure you could increase the 60 minute addition to get the same IBU with less hops but what are we talking about here, a few grams?

Do the numbers and if you do end up saving a fair bit of hops by removing the 45 and increasing the 60 min addition, then use the excess hops as a flame out addition.

I love cascade and it goes nicely in an amber ale [love]

Right, the current batch of Cascade is apparently only 6.2%AA, so it's a good thing I asked as my hop schedule was based on 7.8%AA and it makes a big difference!! As such, I've adjusted my additions to the following:

60g @ 70

15g @ 25

15g @ 15

10g dry hopped (day 3 ish)

In fact ... this seems like a total waste of cascade now. Perhaps I'll go and get some other bittering hops. I'd need 25g of something around 15% - any suggestions?

That's probably a good idea to go and get a high AA% hop for bittering. I currently have Magnum and Super Galena in my freezer and generally only need 10g or so in a batch to achieve required IBUs because of all the other hop additions I make. Also, this will free up some of the Cascade to increase the dry hop - I really doubt you'd even notice a 10g dry hop, you'd be better off with 25-30g.

If I may... You guy should really consider chucking them in loose. I just dry hopped my lasted brew with 50g. This would have required me to have used 5 tea balls to do this, the simplest of hop addition. I don't know about you dudes but I hate trying to clean a wire mesh sieve let alone 5of them![bandit] [innocent]

I don't find them difficult to clean at all, I just shake them out in the garden and then give them a rinse under the tap and the hop matter comes straight off. I've chucked them in loose before and I didn't really like having hop matter make its way into the bottles very much. It's just a personal thing I guess.

Archived