Coopers Community

German Style Pilsner

DavidK20

Hopefully I dont get Sh*t canned for using Blackrock Products for this brew. I know this is a Coopers forum, but the brewshop closest to my home doesnt have Coopers products. To get my last Coopers extract can (IPA) I had to drive 1.5hrs from home to pick it up. So after bottling the IPA, I decided to try a German style pilsner. Being in Perth WA, and with the hot weather, also considering Im brewing in my laundry with frozen coke bottles for temp regulation, I was recommended by the brewshop to switch the yeast with a Ale yeast so I dont have to try keep it so cool. [cool] Here's the recipe Ive put down:

21 litres

Blackrock Export Pilsner

1.5kg Blackrock Light Liquid Malt

15g Hallertau hops

15g Saaz hops

Yeast- (Ive forgotten what I used now. WS-09? It was a Ale yeast recommended by the brew shop.

OG was 1044. Kinda expected it to be a little higher but Im still new to all this so everythings a suprise. [lol] Im keeping temp at around 20-22 degrees at the moment. And fermentation has started well so fingers crossed it all goes well. Any advice for this brew would be much appreciated. Anyone ever use ale yeast for pilsners/lagers here? Does it affect the brew too much? Cheers guys!!! [biggrin]

Hopefully I dont get Sh*t canned for using Blackrock Products for this brew.

I brew all grain and don't use Coopers products at all really anymore. I'll see myself out. [lol]

I don't really know much about pilsners/lagers, I haven't had any real experience brewing them, so unfortunately I can't really offer any advice, except to say if it is an ale yeast, try to keep it around that temp if you can. I've never used WS-09, so I don't know anything about it. I have heard that US-05 yeast is good for making "fake lagers" because of the clean refreshing taste beers fermented with it tend to exhibit. This is one reason I like it in my ales. [joyful]

Hi David,

Your right without temp control a pilsener is out of the window not to mention the ingredients you have used, for instance instead of the light liquid malt you could have used a pilsener liquid malt.

Whilst I think you will make a nice beer I dont understand why you didnt just make a nice ale and why didnt the brew shop recommend this? You can go at your bottom fermented brews in winter.

But hey this is homebrewing so we can deviate as far from the norm as we like, let us know how it tastes [wink]

Im also not sure what that yeast is [unsure]

I have to agree with Graham on this one. If you were really keen on making a German Pilsener then you should wait until winter or you have temp control.

I'm not saying your beer won't be any good, but it won't be a German Pilsener. It looks like it will be a summery ale.

The big difference between a lager and ale yeast is the ester production. Ale yeasts tend to produce a lot more esters and gives it that 'ale' taste (crap description, I know). Lagers are very, very clean fermenters at cool temps and you get that clean, crisp taste.

If you wanted to get as close as you could to a pseudo lager then you could have used US-05 and fermented at 16-17 degrees to get a cleaner ferment. But it will still taste like an ale. Fermenting US-05 at 22 degrees will definitely give you the 'ale' taste. But it should be a refreshing summer beer nonetheless.

Perhaps you cold have made a kolsch instead.

Let us know how it turns out.

Hopefully I dont get Sh*t canned for using Blackrock Products for this brew.

I brew all grain and don't use Coopers products at all really anymore. I'll see myself out. [lol]

I don't really know much about pilsners/lagers, I haven't had any real experience brewing them, so unfortunately I can't really offer any advice, except to say if it is an ale yeast, try to keep it around that temp if you can. I've never used WS-09, so I don't know anything about it. I have heard that US-05 yeast is good for making "fake lagers" because of the clean refreshing taste beers fermented with it tend to exhibit. This is one reason I like it in my ales. [joyful]

[lol] Cheers Kelsey. Will have to look into that US-05 yeast. [happy]

Thanks heaps Graham and Hairy for the responses!!! [happy]

The reason I decided to go for the Pilsner was because Ive done a Aussie Pale Ale and The Coopers IPA and wanted to try something different. But, me being inexperienced, I suppose I was easily swayed by the brew shop. Im just as suprised that they didnt give me more info regarding the different yeast and how much impact it will have. I was told that it wouldnt make too much difference [annoyed] Im a novice, so its all experimentation for me. Im pretty sure the yeast used was WS-09 but thats off the top of my head. I threw the packet out with the empty cans etc.. [roll] Doing well arent I.haha Will probably see how this goes but like you guys say, probably best to wait till winter to try this style again. Should have asked you guys first rather than just jumping in feet first. Also Hairy, I love Kolsch mate. Maybe should have a try of that. Will keep you all informed of how it goes. Thanks again for all your advice dudes. Cheers!!!!

I haven't heard of WS-09, not sure if it exists [biggrin]

I would work on the assumption that it was US-05 and the LHBS guy mumbled when he gave it to you. It makes sense though because it is a clean neutral ale yeast.

If you are after something different, and since you have made pale beers so far, you could give the English Bitter kit a go. It is a cracker of a kit and you can't really go wrong with it [love]

I haven't heard of WS-09' date=' not sure if it exists [biggrin']

I would work on the assumption that it was US-05 and the LHBS guy mumbled when he gave it to you. It makes sense though because it is a clean neutral ale yeast.

If you are after something different, and since you have made pale beers so far, you could give the English Bitter kit a go. It is a cracker of a kit and you can't really go wrong with it [love]

and yet another i have to try...its just neverending[lol]

hope this brew is okay [crying] ferment might be stuck? hydrometer readings have been 1017 last couple days and not much else seems to be happening. OG was 1044. have given FV a shake and temp up to 24. hoping its okay but thought it would get quite bit lower reading? what do you guys think? cheers- dave

I would have thought that your OG would be a bit higher than that. Closer to 1050 in 21 litres. Not a big deal though.

Give it a few more days and see if it finishes off. Don't be surprised if it only drops 2-3 points. Your FG will probably be around 1014-1015.

If it doesnt budge then it is probably finished and just didn't get as low. The yeast don't always work to the numbers.

Are you bottling in glass or PETs, or kegging?

Hey Hairy. Thanks for the response mate!!! By the way, just noticed your response about the yeast before too. Not sure if WS-09 exists either dude, my guess would be probably not [lol] Im such a douche, can't remember what I used, which doesnt help if I want to replicate the brew [roll] Also, I was suprised about the OG reading too. I expected it to be at least 1050, and the figured FG would be about 1010-1012. Im probably wrong on both points.haha Will give it a few more days and see how it goes. Hopefully comes down a bit but if not its all good. Tried a sample and both the aroma and taste was good, although I totally agree with everyone's expectations, its certainly not a true German Pilsner from what I can tell. Your guess of a summery ale would be about spot on I reckon. Good call dude!!!! Should be a good drop still I hope. As for bottling, Im using both King Brown glass bottles and PETS. I just bottled a IPA last week so didnt have enough long necks left over so just picked up 15 PETS which combined with the 10 or so glass long necks should be enough for the brew. Hoping the glass bottles dont get setup as rockets [lol] Also, thanks heaps for all your help mate, really appreciate it. You're a champ!!! Cheers- Dave

hey guys. got a question of thats okay. this has never happened before and im really confused. a few days ago the hydrometer reading was 1017. Ive checked it today and its now only 800? [pouty] Ive never had a reading under 1000 before. Do any of you guys know what this means? tasted a sample and still tastes okay and smells fine. just have no idea why the hydrometer reading has dropped so much. tested a few times and same reading every time. oh well, gonna crank Ozzy Osbourne's "Black Rain" album and everything will be right with the world again [lol] Cheers dudes!!!!

Sorry David, not even Ozzy and Zakk can help you with this one. Your hydrometer reading is crazier than Ozzy (keep your hydrometer away from bats and pigeons).

It sounds like your hydrometer may be stuffed. Test it in water at 20 degrees and it should read 1000.

If it is out then you can use the variance to adjust your former reading. Although hydrometers are usually not out by 30 points.

Yes, it may have taken on fluid, causing it to sink - what does the hydro read in water (as Hairy suggested)?

If it is a fairly new DIY Beer hydro (white with a red ends and Coopers stamped on it), give our customer service a yell and they may help you out with a replacement [biggrin]

Sorry David, not even Ozzy and Zakk can help you with this one. Your hydrometer reading is crazier than Ozzy (keep your hydrometer away from bats and pigeons).

It sounds like your hydrometer may be stuffed. Test it in water at 20 degrees and it should read 1000.

If it is out then you can use the variance to adjust your former reading. Although hydrometers are usually not out by 30 points.

Haha, yeah dude, gonna be no help from Ozzy or Zakk. Pretty sure the bats and pigeons can have the hydrometer. Must be stuffed!!! Tested the water and its way off the scale. Doesn't even show a reading. Way under 1000. Gonna have to go get another hydrometer I think. Thanks Kelsey and PB2 for the responses also [biggrin] Will pick up a new hydrometer when I go to brewshop. Unfortunately PB2, the hydrometr isnt a Coopers one and my guess is its quite old. I bought the brew equipment second hand off gumtree and it was a Tooheys brew kit but I got the Coopers APA to start with. Then Ive done a Blackrock Cider and Thomas Coopers IPA with the Blackrock Pilsner being the last one Ive done so far. I was thinking of doing a Belgian White beer style next, well a wheat beer of some kind just to see how I go. Is that better off waiting till winter to brew that? Btw, I bottled the Pilsner and hasnt exploded any bottles so far so think Im okay. [lol] I left it for a few days after consistent readings so figured I should be safe. Cheers dudes!!!!

Well Adz, i just finished a Weihenstephener Hefeweissbier Dunkel, as per your recommendation and all i can say is, it is an acquired taste. I tried to read the label to find out a bit about the beer, but

1. The print is too small for my dodgy eyesight

2. It looks like its written in German

Anyway i like to give anything a go at least once, but is this the beer you suggested, there were a number of them at Dr Dans

Well Adz, i just finished a Weihenstephener Hefeweissbier Dunkel, as per your recommendation and all i can say is, it is an acquired taste. I tried to read the label to find out a bit about the beer, but

1. The print is too small for my dodgy eyesight

2. It looks like its written in German

Anyway i like to give anything a go at least once, but is this the beer you suggested, there were a number of them at Dr Dans

Nick, do you like wheat beers in general? Or is it the 'Dunkelness' that you don't quite like?

Archived