Coopers Community

This months featured recipe

GrahamB8

If you are making a sparkling ale clone I personally wouldn't add anything extra. At most you could add a little caramalt.

And use recultured Coopers yeast to get closer to the real thing.

Ihave made this sparkling ale recipe twice & i will be making it quite often,it is a beauty,i was put on to the recipie by a guy who makes it 4 out of 5 brews he puts down.{no sense of adventure}

Bollox... ALL kit beers can do with additions of grain to freshen them up a bit..

and Hops.... lots of hops... [lol]

Yob

If you add lots of hops then you won't be making a Sparkling Ale clone.

The fella who got me started in the brewing game, loves the Sparkling, he uses LDME and Brew enhancer No2. I tried some and it was pretty good, only down fall is that he doesn't like a real bubbly beer so in his second stage he only uses one drop for a long neck (750ml). I'll show him this months special, see what he thinks

Bollox... ALL kit beers can do with additions of grain to freshen them up a bit..

and Hops.... lots of hops... [lol]

Yob

If you add lots of hops then you won't be making a Sparkling Ale clone.

[lol] clone no, agreed!

Tasty amber delight?

capturejtw.jpg[/url

Praise BE Brothers

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I got my Sparkling Ale Kit and decided to add to it a little following some of the advice on this thread.

I didn't want to make a clone but freshen it up a little. Hope it turns out ok. Let me know what you guys think.

Ingredients:

1.7 kg\tThomas Coopers Sparkling Ale Can

1.5 kg\tLight Malt Extract Can

0.2 kg\tCrystal Grain

0.5 kg \tLight Dry Malt

0.3 kg\tDextrose\t

16 g\tAmarillo (Pellets, 8.2 AA%, 60 mins)\t

16 g\tAmarillo (Pellets, 8.2 AA%, 15 mins)\t

16 g \tAmarillo (Pellets, 8.2 AA%, 0 mins Dry Hop)\t

Kit Yeast

I used Amarillo cuz I had it left over from a Golden Ale I put down a couple of weeks ago so maybe I'll get a golden sparkling ale here???

The grain was steeped for 45 Minutes in a hop bag and added that for the last 15 Minutes of the boil. Just added the yeast now at 18 Degrees.

Next time will have to try to reculture the coopers yeast...haven't been game to try that yet.[unsure]

after 3 days my order of the month turned up. I have it in the FV, with drama along the way. Don't you hate when half way through you think mmmm i'll try something different. BAD MOVE. Anyways SG 1.056 is that sounding a little high. An hour in and the airlock is showing movement. The quickest of my three yet. Pitched the yeast at 22c. Might be a quickie. LOL

Benny, I'm sure your brew will be fine mate. My SG was 1.055 and I'm just starting to see some activity now and it's been about 28 hours.

What was the something different that you tried with this brew, couldn't of been too bad of a move??[wink]

I usually add my concentrates/sugars to a pot with boiled water which is cooled to just below a simmer, mix them all together then add to the fermenter, but oh no half way through I thought i'd follow the coopers way to the letter, that was until I notices some crap in my hot water I was going to add the LME. in the FV, Started to boil the kettle leaving the LME and FV open to the air for about 5 minutes until I could boil some more water, it just all went remotely against me from there. Finally got it all in filled the air lock with starsan, went to move the FV and sucked half the star san in out the air lock, (no real problem, just a blonde momment) it took anout 1/2 hour longer than i's have liked. Nothing too major. The air lock levelled out the action I thought I had was a tease. Working tonight re-check in the morning. See if I have moisture and foam happening

[happy]

Sorry Muddy, I have a red lid and an FV I can only just see into, as per the signature pic. I was given most of my equipment (To see if I could do it) and due to your well taught lessons I merely use the airlock as an indicator ( until I build the courage to use glad wrap) and not a tool. My next brew being a Lager I promise to convert. I'm a three brew greenhorn so now that I know how to brew I will be fine. Airlock ppplllhhhh whats that

I still use my lid and airlock, but I don't use it as an indicator of fermentation.. if I did then I'd probably still be waiting for my first brew since it never bubbles [lol].

I recently bought a new FV from the LHBS (using my old one to bulk prime), it has a clear lid, so I just look inside it to see what's going on. The only reason I use the airlock is to seal it from the outside elements. I can't be arsed mucking around pulling O rings out of lids and whatever when I've got a system that works perfectly well as it is.. sorry Muddy [innocent]

Cheers,

Kelsey

Whatever works for you Kelsey. I mean really, who am I to judge people on their perversions [biggrin]

I just like the ease of being able to move my fermentor and take samples without having to worry about sucking in liquid from an airlock. I also have bad memories of wrestling with a fermentor trying to get stuck lids off.

I can't be arsed mucking around pulling O rings out of lids and whatever when I've got a system that works perfectly well as it is.. sorry Muddy [innocent]

Sorry Kelsey but I find that comment amusing.... you can't be bothered doing this yet you can be bothered having to clean and sanitise the lid and air lock everytime.

Not hard to pull the O-ring out of the lid, takes all but 5 seconds and you only need do it once. No need to clean or sanitise the glad wrap of o-ring ever [ninja] It sounds to me like you actually like the added hassle of the airlock and lid.

Nevertheless, it's your brew and your technique, who am I to criticize [innocent]

I'm not going to get wound up about airlocks today because this thread on AHB has put me in a happy space today. It sums up my feelings on airlocks nicely [lol]

(Edit: dud link - I'll try again)

Love it - Just read the thread on AHB. Sitting at my desk pissing myself laughing....!!! [lol] [lol] [lol]

Archived