Coopers Community

Stir your brew just before bottling ? ? ?

Polarian

Just wondering if it's a good idea to stir your brew ?

so for example i have brewed my beer in ya standard coopers closed system and on day 6 or 7 when i take the lid off and then bottle is it ok to give the entire mix a good stir ? do you guys even take your lid off at all ?

thank you

Don't stir before bottling. Most people try hard to not disturb the sediment/trub at all.

The stuff at the bottom is the cold break, hop matter and yeast that has dropped out of suspension. Best to leave that behind.

But I do bottle right down to it and leave very little liquid behind.

As for the lid, I open it slightly when bottling.

I leave the lid on, spray around the airlock with starsan, wait a minute and remove it from the lid, every 6 or 7 bottles I give the lid and filler tube a quick spray with starsan to be sure to be sure. Haven't had a bad batch yet after 2-3 weeks in the primary. Last one was 5 weeks in because I went away, its the clearest beer I've made yet, sorry I digress Lid on airlock out for me :)

+1 to what Hairy said. Certainly don't stir and just loosen the lid to allow tap to flow freely. At day 7 I'd be maybe checking the gravity and then I'd leave it to clear for a week before bottling (I'd actually leave it even longer and CC but that is something to look into later [cool] ).

Also, like Hairy, I put just about every last drop into the bottles and only stop when the I get to the trub (sediment/crap cake at the bottom).

I leave the lid on, spray around the airlock with starsan, wait a minute and remove it from the lid, every 6 or 7 bottles I give the lid and filler tube a quick spray with starsan to be sure to be sure. Haven't had a bad batch yet after 2-3 weeks in the primary. Last one was 5 weeks in because I went away, its the clearest beer I've made yet, sorry I digress Lid on airlock out for me :)

All good advice Benny but I think OP has one of those FVs without an airlock.

yeah i used to have a coopers kit with a screw lid that would always get stuck omg ! but the bubbly noise was so cool with the airlock ...

so why did coopers get rid of airlock ? i do like how easy to clean the new unit is hehehe and not having to worry about the airlock

yeah i used to have a coopers kit with a screw lid that would always get stuck omg ! but the bubbly noise was so cool with the airlock ...

so why did coopers get rid of airlock ? i do like how easy to clean the new unit is hehehe and not having to worry about the airlock

I reckon it was simply to stop confusing new brewers. You get a far better idea of how your ferment is going if you can see it.

No substitute for the hydrometer though. [rightful] FACT.

Archived