Coopers Community

Fermenting vessel only

HelenL1

You can't buy the Coopers DIY vessels separately (yet [biggrin] ).

You can buy similar ones from Bunings and Big W that are sometimes callled water containers.

Otherwise a home brew shop will sell them.

Where are you based?

I'll assume this is a serious question [innocent]

No, they do not have an airlock which means one less thing to send to landfill. They lid is slightly smaller than average which make it even easier to attach you gladwrap. Keep the lid though as it is good to keep dust out when you aren't using it [ninja]

I'll assume this is a serious question [innocent]

No, they do not have an airlock which means one less thing to send to landfill. They lid is slightly smaller than average which make it even easier to attach you gladwrap. Keep the lid though as it is good to keep dust out when you aren't using it [ninja]

Well what damn use is an FV without an airlock?

How will I know it is working?

Also I read on here recently from an expert who said it is a FACT that you get more infections if you do not have one.

One solution to the airlock is to drill a hole in the lid the size that will fit an airlock. Big W sells grommets to place into the airlock hole and wella you have an airlock. [innocent] I generally do not rely on the airlock with my FV. I look for other signs such as a a krausen forming on the top of the brew, condensation on the lid and a drop in the SG.

The other option is to fit the lid but don't screw it on tight that way the co2 pressure build up will exit via the gap and you still have the lid on to protect the brew [lol]

[surprised

The other option is to fit the lid but don't screw it on tight that way the co2 pressure build up will exit via the gap and you still have the lid on to protect the brew

What if there is a pressure drop in the FV for some reason like when you squeeze the sides, would it not suck in air full of lurkers?[surprised

No, they do not have an airlock which means one less thing to send to landfill.

How do you glad wrap ninjas sleep at night knowing that you are responsible for all that discarded plastic wrap filling up the dumps of the world?

Besides I do not have a sound system and find the rhythmic bubbling of the airlocks very soothing.

[surprised

The other option is to fit the lid but don't screw it on tight that way the co2 pressure build up will exit via the gap and you still have the lid on to protect the brew

What if there is a pressure drop in the FV for some reason like when you squeeze the sides, would it not suck in air full of lurkers?[surprised

Why the hell would you squeeze the sides?

Set and forget...

Why the hell would you squeeze the sides?

Set and forget...

Totally agree - just being the Devils Advocate on this one. But I guess some people do move them and suck in some air. We even had one bloke recently who puts his head in the FV.

When things are quiet airlocks are always a good discussion point.

What if there is a pressure drop in the FV for some reason like when you squeeze the sides, would it not suck in air full of lurkers?

This is why I didn't adopt Nick's method of using a crown seal over the airlock hole in the lid. Not because I squeeze the sides, but if there is a pressure drop inside the FV for whatever reason, it could well suck in air because there's nothing to stop it. I'm not saying it will, but it's a lot more likely with just a loose crown seal covering it. Whether it would present a major problem I don't know, but it's not a risk I'm willing to take. And that's a FACT [lol]

Archived