Coopers Community

Restored some Faith in Kits.

LordEoin

I went to met the local brewclub on Friday night.

They were all very welcoming and curious about my kitbeers.

They had lost faith in kits along the way because of hangovers and homebrew twang.

i brought 3 beers :

- wheatbeer kit + wheatmalt+ wb06+orange +coriander

- Irish Stout +ldm+chocolategrain+ carapils+fuggles

- pilsner kit + dark DME - +chocolate grain+ekg+fuggles +S23

They were very impressed by how good they tasted and i think i may have converted a couple of people back to the occasional kit brew [biggrin]

I think you have found your mission in life. To travel the word and convert the masses to the goodness of kits (with bits).

Praise the word of the Lord (Eoin) [innocent]

just be sure to make it to Ulladulla in your travels[biggrin]

....homebrew twang....

I must admit I don't even know what this is. Either I am unable to detect it or I have managed to avoid it in the 40 odd kits that I've put down [unsure]. Even now that I have sample two extract only brews I am not sure I ever had this twang.

Sure the current one, Pacific Ale with extra skunk, is just about the best beer I've ever tasted but when I sampled the Celebration Ale on Sunday I knew that I could always rely on a kit recipe to deliver the goods as well.

I am glad I voted for Hairy's Galaxy Ale in Anthony's thread, this must be one of the truly great Aussie hops. I agree it would be great to see PB2 formulate a recipe using this one. Perhaps as Hairy suggests he could do it on a Pale Ale base [cool]

Scottie, I have found the following base is awesome for Galaxy hop additions.

1.7kg Coopers Australian Pale Ale kit

1.5kg Coopers liquid wheat malt

23 litres

Then hop it with Galaxy to your hearts content. This was my 'go to' beer for a while and I never made it too bitter. At most it was a short boil of galaxy and dry hop. A little Caramalt/crystal goes nicely too.

The beer was called "White Dwarf" (galaxy reference).

If I was doing it now I would do Galaxy and Cascade [love]

Paul (PB2), what is the going rate for royalties these days? [lol]

....homebrew twang....

I must admit I don't even know what this is.

Just don't brew one in a bucket with a kilo of table sugar at 25C and you should never find out. [wink]

That's the way many people have brewed them over the years, and then they wonder why it tastes funny[whistling

I just put down my favorite brew to date again. My Big Island IPA. It's a kit brew featuring the OS Real ale can, Cascade and Nelson Sauvin Hops and Oak chips. This still is my best recipe even after breaking through the AG barrier.

There's one thing wrong with Kit Brews. What's wrong with them is they are TOO easy to whip off. You can have one fermenting in less then a 1/2 hour. This is too quick for me. I like the fun in a brew day. 60mins boil, hop adds, steeped grains, etc. This is the stuff I like to spend my days-off messing with.

I am sure a lot of this is because of the processes that are used between the different methods.

The normal kit brewer doesn't have the patients, the knowledge or the care to use best practices when making their beer. Some kit brewers I know only use the hot water out of the tap to sanitise their equipment because that's how they have always done it.

AG brewers spend a lot more time making brews so if the brew fails it is a larger amount of time invested. This means that they usually go out of their way to have a temperature controlled device, use fresh yeast and best practices.

Since I have always taken care when using my kits, such as using fresh stuff, the correct temperature and high grade ingredients I get a better result.

It is just the mindset that kit brewers use a kilo of table sugar and ferment at 25C as LordEoin said.

Why don't you try and come up with an AG version of your Big Island IPA? I understand it'd be pretty hard to replicate the Real Ale kit' date=' I'm guessing anyway. But who knows, you might even end up with a better tasting brew[wink']

I did stretch this one out with a full volume 60min boil. It is still fun and would do it every day if I could!

I don't think I'll bother to try for a AG BI IPA as it is so good as a kit. I'd more likely spend the time and energy on an other brew to get it as good.

....homebrew twang....

I must admit I don't even know what this is.

Just don't brew one in a bucket with a kilo of table sugar at 25C and you should never find out. [wink]

That's the way many people have brewed them over the years, and then they wonder why it tastes funny[whistling

i am guilty of making it exactly like that for 8 years. since i found this site it has instantly improved my kits out of site...

what is the going rate for royalties these days? [lol]

Maybe a handful of kudos - not sure if you can buy much with that at the shops?? [sideways]

It is still more kudos than I currently have. I can live with that [wink]

Where to begin.... Crap efficiency, ended up with ABV way lower than I wanted. Poor hop utilisation resulting in practically no bitterness at all. Still useless at separating trub when moving wort from boiler to FV. Possible contamination from a frozen coke bottle I use tochill the wort (as it leaked a bit). Oh and yes my hydrometer fell into the boiler and has now changed shape and is rendered useless. So essentially, I took several hours of my day making bland soft drink (assuming it's not infected). Have I forgotten anything? [crying]

Archived