Coopers Community

Enjoying the Home Brewing Experience

Hi guys.

I just wanted to put a positive vibe out there with how much I'm enjoying home brewing at the moment.

Currently I have a Vienna Budvar style lager still bopping away in my brew fridge @ 11\xb0C after a solid week of primary fermentation...

...I just bottled my first brew using the Coopers Commercial Ale yeast re-culture process, & the signature Coopers banana-like yeast esters coming from the beer during bottling were fantastic, so I'm looking forward to a sample in a couple of weeks...

...I am currently drinking a basic 2 week secondary fermented sample of Smurto's kit Golden Ale clone recipe I bottled 2 weeks ago. Yuuuuuuumm! [biggrin]

In a brewing sense, I'm in a very nice place right now. [joyful]

What's happening/drinking/sampling/brewing with you guys?

Anthony.

Sounds like your brewery is kicking along nicely!

Mine is still going although production has slowed because I've filled most of my empties so now I have to wait until I have enough empties before putting my next brew in the FV. And speaking of that next brew, it's the English "Pale" Ale I came up with.

5.00 kg Joe White Traditional Ale Malt

0.30 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (160 EBC)

0.25 kg Munich Malt

0.10 kg Black (Patent) Malt

0.05 kg Roasted Barley

20.00 g Goldings, East Kent [6.50 %] - Boil 75.0 min

20.00 g Fuggles [5.00 %] - Boil 40.0 min

20.00 g Goldings, East Kent [6.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min

0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins)

20.00 g Fuggles [5.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min

That Damn S-04 Yeast! [lol]

26L batch

Once I throw that in the FV and have a spare cube available I'll be making up this porter I came up with a couple of days ago:

6.00 kg Joe White Traditional Ale Malt

0.35 kg Black (Patent) Malt

0.20 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (160 EBC)

0.10 kg Chocolate Malt

0.10 kg Roasted Barley

40.00 g Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 75.0 min

30.00 g Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 minIBUs

20.00 g Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min

0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins)

20.00 g Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min

Again, That Damn S-04 Yeast!

26L batch also.

Looking forward to seeing how these ones turn out!

I've actually got too much beer at the moment!! My cellar is chockablock. Trying to reduce my stocks.

I've also switched entirely from PET to glass, I have well over 150 PET bottles, so they are getting boxed up as they're emptied and will go on ebay, probably. I aim to eventually only have 2-3 batches of beer at any one time.

At the moment I have:

2 cartons of AG Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale (a cracker)

9 longnecks of AG Smurtos golden ale

1 and a half cartons of kit Sparkling Ale (terrible. Giving it away - I can't drink it)

1 carton of extract Neil's Centenarillo (also ordinary, didn't work out this time)

1 carton of a fresh wort kit porter, which is great.

I love brewing, but always end up with too much beer!! I'm trying to cut down drinking as I gotta lose some weight for my wedding next year.

Luckily I'm throwing a pool party/BBQ next sat which will be a good opportunity to get a lot of beer drunk. Which will mean I can brew again! I now brew AG BIAB exclusively, the rewards are so much greater.

Just gotta work out what to brew next - I've got a good recipe for an amber ale using recultured Coopers yeast, but I think its too early in the season to be brewing darker beers. Might brew a pale ale type of beer next.

Kelsey, Soundawake, sounds like you two blokes need to drink a bit more beer!!! [biggrin] , AND, there is no such thing as having too much of it [cool] . Mind you I do have a similar problem but am looking at alternative storage arrangements to overcome this problem.

Like so many others I too have become addicted to making my own beer, all be it by way of using kits. All of my brews of late have included steeped grains and hop additions and the results have been pretty good. A lot of my inspiration and recipe ideas come from this forum and because I don't have many home brewing mates near by I also enjoy the comaraderie that exists here. Even though I don't have a lot to offer you guys technically it's pretty good to be part of this community..[biggrin]

This weekend I will be experimenting with a Canadian Blonde (don't worry Chad, I'm talking about beer [innocent] ) with some grains and plenty of hops...[love] . Time permitting I'm also hoping to get another Pilsner and an English Bitter under way. SWMBO will be happy to know that I intend on spending another weekend in the shed!!!

This weekend I will be experimenting with a Canadian Blonde (don't worry Chad' date=' I'm talking about beer [innocent']

Wal, my 2nd attempt at brewing was a canadian Blonde and it was bloody great. i made it with 250gms of yellow box honey as i couldnt get the strawberry clover honey. in all i've made 20 odd brews now and use grain and hops to improve my kits thanks to this great forum. Good luck with the blonde this w'end[cool]

I've got nothing on the go at present and won't have time to get to another for a few more weeks yet.

The recipes keep piling up but the brewing weeks are passing me by [crying]

It seems like the rest of you are having a pretty good time of it.

I had a quiet patch there for a while which let me reduce stocks.

I have just "graduated" to stubbies. A mate who used to brew about 7 years ago gave me 8 dozen Crown lager stubbies. I have also aquired about 2 dozen other stubbies from drinking imported beers at work BBQs. Then I received a donation of 4 dozen new stubbies.

The capper my kids gave me for Dad's day has been getting a fair workout.[cool]

The fridge at work is now looking a lot better than it was about a month ago. I have 2 pale ale recipes & an amber ale that the guys at work like so I am happy to stock the fridge. It's a damn sight cheaper than forking out for commercial beer.

Have to dry hop the amber ale in the FV this weekend so it is ready for bottling in about a weeks time.

...I am currently drinking a basic 2 week secondary fermented sample of Smurto's kit Golden Ale

I'm not sure what that acutally means?!?! Do you mean it has been in the bottle 2 weeks??? [alien] You should write real estate ads [biggrin]

In a brewing sense' date=' I'm in a very nice place right now.[/quote']

Glad to hear it! A nice place is a good place to be.

What's happening/drinking/sampling/brewing with you guys?

I'm actually brewing a lager at the moment which is a very rare occurrence. Just bottled a galaxy fuelled pale ale a few weeks ago so I am looking forward to sampling a bottle in a few weeks. I am very much enjoying my "Island Hopper Ale" at the moment and am keen to make another batch asap...but as I am going to close up shop in a few weeks and go walkabout that will have to wait a until some time in the new year.

Hey Muddy, I am planning a pale ale next and was thinking of ripping off your hopping schedule for either the Island Hopper or the Yakkity Yak [bandit]

How would you rate them against each other? Or is it like choosing your favourite child?

I haven't used Nelson for a long time and was leaning towards the Yak but then I also really like Magnum PI and like the Hopper.

Thanks for all the responses guys, it's nice to read collectively what each of you are up to at the moment in the one thread.

I couldn't let a few of the posts go without a small retort though... [biggrin]

...production has slowed because I've filled most of my empties so now I have to wait until I have enough empties before putting my next brew in the FV.

I envy you. [pouty]

Edit: Except for that damn S-04 yeast! [pinched]

I've actually got too much beer at the moment!! My cellar is chockablock. Trying to reduce my stocks.

I envy you x 2! (Are you Otto's flat mate?) Just kidding! [biggrin]

This weekend I will be experimenting with a Canadian Blonde (don't worry Chad' date=' I'm talking about beer)[/quote']

This weekend I'd like to be experimenting with a Canadian Blonde (Yes worry Wal, I'm talking about a female Canadian Blonde!) [lol]

I've got nothing on the go at present and won't have time to get to another for a few more weeks yet.

Motivation: Budvar! Budvar! Budvar!... if not, IPA! IPA! IPA! [biggrin]

I have also aquired about 2 dozen other stubbies from drinking imported beers at work BBQs.

GregT5's work Colleague: Where are you going Greg?

GregT5: Ohh don't worry, I've, I've... just got to duck off to the car for a minute. I'll be back shortly. (Carrying a small box of empty stubbies each time!)

Watch out for GregT5 at your BBQ's! [whistling [lol]

I'm not sure what that actually means?!?! Do you mean it has been in the bottle 2 weeks??? You should write real estate ads

Yeah it's only been in the bottle 2 weeks. I was just sampling a single stubbie to see how it tasted & was progressing. It'll be a good 4-6 more weeks before I look to start getting stuck into them seriously.

Let me know how your lager turns out?

Good luck & good times with your brewing guys. [joyful]

Anthony.

Hey there Beer.

I am currently drinking a 6 month old stout partial (I realise it's 32 deg here in adelaide but don't really care [lol] ).

The last beer I made was an all grain IPA which is sitting in the cube. It is around 1.060, nice and golden from some nice crystal malts, and around 72 IBU! [lol] I used cascade and motueka hops.

Had major problems with the hops as I don't have a tap or pickup on my kettle yet. It was my first time using whole flowers and like a total moron I threw them in gangnam style and then tried to use my bloody siphon!!! [pinched] [pouty]

Glad you're happy pal.

Phil

GregT5's work Colleague: Where are you going Greg?

GregT5: Ohh don't worry, I've, I've... just got to duck off to the car for a minute. I'll be back shortly. (Carrying a small box of empty stubbies each time!)

Kinda reminds me of the time I got to work and brewers eye caught the glistening green of a Grolsch swingtop bottle up the street among a mountain of boxes out for recyling. On closer inspection there was actually about 160+ of the little beauties along with a couple of dozen Coopers longneck empties. They were a bit crusty and many had been used as ashtrays but they were beautiful nonetheless. I promptly commandeered a shopping trolley and a couple of milk crates and proceeded to salvage them all.

I took them into the office and stashed them (trolley and all) in the store room for a few days until I could drive in and pick them all up. It was the best find ever...but the there was a strange smell of stale beer and ciggie butts in the air for a few days.

Needless to say along with these and my already mountainous supply of bottles (full and empty) I am never short of beer.

i have just finished drinking the DIY brew, i have 7 tallies stashed for xmas, aging at the inlaws place, the Aus Pale Ale got a taste test last night, 2 weeks in the bottle, couldnt wait + didnt have any beer in the fridge, and i am about to bottle the Cerveza that has been in the FV for the past 2 weeks, and have that age for 4 weeks and crack em open for xmas day. I have another Pale Ale can there, but i am away for a couple of weeks, so it might have to wait till i get back. I was thinking of mixing it up with some dry hopping, but not sure on what to get.

This weekend I will be experimenting with a Canadian Blonde (don't worry Chad' date=' I'm talking about beer [innocent'] )

No problem, Wal. I'm a brunette![wink]

I'm sure if the right offer came along we could find you a wig [biggrin]

Of course if the evening goes well he will find out you aren't a real blonde [innocent]

...production has slowed because I've filled most of my empties so now I have to wait until I have enough empties before putting my next brew in the FV.

I envy you. [pouty]

Edit: Except for that damn S-04 yeast! [pinched]

[lol] It's a good and bad situation. Obviously, it's good because I won't be running out of beer any time soon, but it's kinda annoying because I can't brew anything until I free up a cube. Maybe I should just go and buy another cube or two.[roll]

I was going to hop straight to AG recently but the 50kg of malted barley my friend romised me turned our to be just plain old barley.

The chickens are enjoying it though...[biggrin]

I had bought brain bags and thermometers etc in preparation, so I've recently started playing with grains and removed dextrose completely from my ingredients.

My hop stocks are slowly dwindling and I think it's about time to get a few more varieties.

Without me noticing, my stockpile of beers has changed from basic kit beers to a stack of about 150 glass pint bottles of Fuggles Englsh Bitter, Hop Gobbler, Sparkling ale, and an amazing Black Lager, all hopped and grained to the moon. (and a standard Mex Cerveza which is also very enjoyable)

I have 2 large kegs cut into brewpots and a gas burner, so I'll be on the AllGrain like a rash soon enough. But for now, it's winter here so not the best of times to be brewing outside, but perfect conditions for more lagering [biggrin]

Archived