Coopers Community

Thermometers

Mainiac

I use nothing for a boil' date=' but for mashing and steeping I use a basic and cheap one like this \u20ac3 glass one

They're fragile, but cheap, tried, tested, simple and accurate.

+1

As Eoin said, you'll only really need a thermometer for mashing/steeping grains. If looking at a thermometer to buy, make sure the gauge has readings above 100\xb0C (boiling point of water). The one I use covers a range -10\xb0C to 120\xb0C.

Anthony.

I used to have a digital thermometer but it took a while to register a reading and I was never confident that it was accurate (but I never tested it either).

I now have a glass one similar to LordEoin and I much prefer that.

i have a baristas thermometer, that is used for taking the temp of milk when making a cappucino. you can get one at most home ware shops. it has the perfect temp range and is pretty accurate. (just remember to remove the plastic protecting sleeve off the probe when you first use it...ooops[innocent]

As Eoin said, you'll only really need a thermometer for mashing/steeping grains.

Anthony.

Another important use is to ensure you have the correct pitching temperature for your yeast.

This is one of my favourite temperature measuring devices

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/110925458587?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

With this probe

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Temperature-Controller-K-Type-Thermocouple-Probe-Sensors-100cm-Wire-Cable-/280885526927?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item416615018f

It is cheap, accurate and has a very wide temperature range. You will find this most useful in the kitchen as well.

Another important use is to ensure you have the correct pitching temperature for your yeast.

I personally don't make liquid "starters" for yeast. I'm yet to have any problems pitching dry yeast straight from the packet into the FV. My FV has a stick-on temperature gauge. I use that to guide me to correct yeast pitching temperature.

Everybody is different in the way they go about things, & there is nothing wrong with that. [cool]

hunter1.jpg

"It works for me." Rick Hunter (80's TV Series)

Anthony.

I personally don't make liquid "starters" for yeast. I'm yet to have any problems pitching dry yeast straight from the packet into the FV.

Anthony.

Yes it seems many homebrewers take this shortcut. Experts advise that skipping rehydration of dry yeast kills about half the cells pitched. Apart from only having about half as much yeast as needed the dead cells immediately begin to break down and affect the beer flavour.

Rehydration is simple and therefore why compromise the chance of making a better beer?

I personally don't make liquid "starters" for yeast. I'm yet to have any problems pitching dry yeast straight from the packet into the FV.

Anthony.

Yes it seems many homebrewers take this shortcut. Experts advise that skipping rehydration of dry yeast kills about half the cells pitched. Apart from only having about half as much yeast as needed the dead cells immediately begin to break down and affect the beer flavour.

Rehydration is simple and therefore why compromise the chance of making a better beer?

Sounds like you will get on fine with Yob [biggrin]

I always rehydrate my dry yeast. I have no idea what the real difference is unless you do a side by side comparison. But it is such a simple process I figure I may as well give the yeasties the best chance they can get.

Hey Kelsey.

I have rehydrated a few times following the destructions on the manufacturers website, eg for US-05

http://www.fermentis.com/fo/pdf/HB/EN/Safale_US-05_HB.pdf

Pretty simple really, but I reckon Yob has a different method where he gradually introduces small amounts of the wort it's about to be pitched in to.

Archived