Coopers Community

Gross Contamination!

Canadian Eh!L

So it has been going on for months! Multiple brews infected! Very disappointed in the whole affair![pinched]

It has taken me months now to finally call it what it is. Gross Contamination! At first I thought it was an overly high hop bill that was giving me unpleasant "sour taste/smell". I thought "Oh well, not my best[unsure] . Some time in the bottle will help. Well after 10 months in the bottle since the first hint of a problem it only got worst. I just started tipping these and several other bottles/batches recently[annoyed] . I also thought it could be my hard tap water giving me astringent flavours. This is undetermined yet do to this contamination thing.

Another weird event that was also happening at the same time was that I was having a hard time getting the bottles to carbonate[roll] . At first I thought it was unrelated to the sour taste but now I believe its part of the same thing.

So, as of this weekend the brewery is under quarntine. Big time!

This has set me back months!

[pinched] [pinched]

Bad luck mate [crying]

What are you planing on doing? Cleaning the equipment or getting new stuff? It's going to be hard to nail down exactly what is causing the problem.

Let us know how you get on. Good luck with it.

Sorry to hear that Canuck. [sad]

We all know how much time goes into doing all this & stock piling correctly to allow brews to age properly. It would break your heart.

If it were me, I'd have a real brainstorming session about the whole thing. I would be having a good look at the processes that I may have changed around the time you think the problem may have originated. From storage, to transfer, & above all else, sterilisation right through your processes.

Best wishes you get it sorted asap Canuck.

Beer.

I'm doing a bit of both, Hairy.

I've already replaced one fermenter and plan to replce or clean the other. As far as the rest of the stuff I am giving it a major blast of bleach solution for 24+ hours. I might retire some equiment that might not be totally necessary due to more modern techniques.

Another thing I have to think about is my yeast bank. I have been collecting/rinsing yeast on and off for months now. I would have to suspect contamination.[crying]

@ Lusty,

The brainstroming has been going on now for a while. this is really the reason it has taken so long for me to react to the situation. It has been a waiting game of tweeting recipes, chnging water source, switching location of bottle whilst 2nd carbonating to getting new FVs and finally tipping out whole batches of the amber nectar.

This really has set me back months since the recipes that I have created and thought they were shite have turned out to be shite because of contamination. This means that I have to try them all over again! Oh well, at least it's a good time![roll]

Another thing I have to think about is my yeast bank. I have been collecting/rinsing yeast on and off for months now. I would have to suspect contamination.[crying]

Yeah I'd definitely use fresh yeast next brew. Also if you do try another starter from the yeast bank have a taste of the starter before you pitch.

Hope you find the culprit.

I have had 2 infections and both were at different times 1 I left the beer on the trub too long while i was ill was sour as hell and another ages ago what I did to overcome it was soak everything you use for brewing in a strong dose of bleach and hot water rinse and soak again with bleach. Once everything has been sanitized with bleach then star san the crap out of it all using a spray bottle do it a few times. It worked for me also the bottles that the infected beer was in need to be cleaned properly and also sanitized real well what i referred to above is extreme sanitization but should fix your problems.

i have been bottling and then immediatly start another brew and so far have not had a contamination problem. i do rinse the Fv then whirl a nice strong bleach solution around the Fv before a final rinse, but my theory is that if anything is missed, it hasnt had a chance to turn sour and off. just a theory but seems logical to me[roll]

After each brew I wash my FV's and all equipment taps etc soak with bleach and sodium perc in hot water for an hour then wash it with clean soft cloth and rinse well then star san the hell out of it all seems to work no worries. The 1st infection happened when I was using some crappy copper tun crap and the other was for leaving beer on the trub too long star san works a treat IMO

i have been bottling and then immediatly start another brew and so far have not had a contamination problem. i do rinse the Fv then whirl a nice strong bleach solution around the Fv before a final rinse' date=' but my theory is that if anything is missed, it hasnt had a chance to turn sour and off. just a theory but seems logical to me[roll']

at the very least disassemble the tap and clean the threads.. a big spot for bacterial build up. Also, changing the routine and chemicals you use is a good idea from time to time as some bugs can become tolerant of your regime.

That reminds me to get some Iodophor for my switch.. though I dont like that stuff much as its not as biodegradable as Starsan.

Best of luck.

at the very least disassemble the tap and clean the threads.. a big spot for bacterial build up.

Yeah Yob, i always disassemble and give the tap a good clean and soak. interesting about bacterial tolorence to bleach. whats another good reliable and cheap solution? i am thinking pool chlorine, but thats just a stronger version of bleach.

I'm using Napisan at present. Last time I went to CB I asked about the PBW or PCW whatever ti's called' date=' but they only had it in small sachets, and recommended Napisan, so I went and grabbed a 2kg pack of it. What's the recommended amount to use for cleaning out a fermenter or urn?[/quote']

I use about 2 lids worth in 25 litres of water.

Sorry to hear mate.

Honestly, this is my worst fear when brewing. It takes so much effort to brew something, and to see that effort come to nothing must be heart breaking.

I do have a question though, when you say it was "sour", was it like a cidery taste? (because my current brew has a hint of that - and I'm wondering if it's the copious amounts of dextrose or a slight infection).

I'm using Napisan at present. Last time I went to CB I asked about the PBW or PCW whatever ti's called' date=' but they only had it in small sachets, and recommended Napisan, so I went and grabbed a 2kg pack of it. What's the recommended amount to use for cleaning out a fermenter or urn?[/quote']

About a lid full into a fermenter is enough. No need for napisan in the Urn Kelsey. Just give it a wash out as soon as you are finished and scrubb the element cover with a Scotch Brite pad and Robert's your Mother's Brother. However, I can imagine a cleaner will need to be used every once and a while. However, I have done at least 30 BIABs now and still have no need for a stronger cleaner.

Cool as[biggrin] I did use about a lidful for my fermenter, so if that's the go, excellent.

As for the urn, I suppose since it's boiled every time it's used there isn't really the need for the whole sterilising regime that is needed on the other equipment. My dad used to work as an industrial chemist, he also has some kind of water boiler at his work, and I asked him about the boil scale on the element/how to clean it off. All he does is mix a little citric acid with some water (enough to cover the element), bring it to the boil for a few minutes and it's like new again. Just lifts it right off apparently, so I reckon I'll give that a go and see what happens.

So after an unheathly dose of bleach thoughout the brewery,[sick] I've got back to things. It's a lesson to be learned that you can't be too complacent with sanitation. You can get away with a splash of Idoiphor IF you have very good scrubbing skills. If not you should give your FVs a hit of bleach now and again.[innocent] . I'm not suggesting to bleach your tools every time but it's good pratice to 'sanitise' the brewery.[rightful]

BTW Thanks to all you who extended their condolences for my troubles in my brewery. The truth is I've still have plenty of good ol' homebrew that ain't too bad![joyful] It really is all in fun anyway.

The goods and the bads of homebrewing, eh. [cool]

Hiya Canadian Eh!L.

There once was a Canuck from Golden,

Who had problems with his beer that had mould on,

In a frenzied affair,

He threw bleach everywhere,

Now he is back making beer that he's sold on!

Haha! [lol]

I thought you could do with a bit of cheering up! [biggrin]

Beer.

Archived