Coopers Community

First attempt at dry hopping

Lotm

Just put down my first batch of English bitter [happy] have a bag of Fuggles pellets to use for dry hopping. I'm not racking as my second FV is full (not that I would be condifent racking anyway).I have a couple of questions:

1. How much hops?

2. Bag or no bag?

3. If I bag, should I weigh the bag down as some posts suggest?

4. Will the hop particles settle if I leave the wort in for a week after FG?

Thanks heaps,

There's no need for a bag, you can just throw them in loose. They will settle into the trub over time. A general rule I've seen bandied about on the interwebs is about 1g per litre. So if it's a 23L batch you could chuck in 25g. What sort of bag is it, is it like a teabag type thing or just a resealable plastic bag of pellets?

I throw it straight in and after a few months in the bottle it settles out not that I had an issue when I did it with my Sparkling ale a while back I am about to dry hop my EB I got going I am just throwing it straight in but some prefer to put them into chux cloths etc up to you its your brew at the end of the day.

Hiya Lotm.

I'm with Muddy on this one. I prefer to keep the hops in a muslin bag (or other suitable). It keeps the majority of the hop debris inside the bag, & not lingering through your brew.

There is already enough trub to go around! [tongue]

Just my preference.

Beer.

I chuck them in commando style. I've sometimes thrown in 60-90g dry and only ever found bits & pieces in one or two bottles.

Can't be arsed making sure the muslin or chux is clean, and I believe the hops should be circulating through the beer and not floating on the top. [innocent]

Each to their own though.

I chuck them in commando style. I've sometimes thrown in 60-90g dry and only ever found bits & pieces in one or two bottles.

Can't be arsed making sure the muslin or chux is clean, and I believe the hops should be circulating through the beer and not floating on the top. [innocent]

Each to their own though.

+1 I am with you there Phil, I seen the americans get their beers dry hop in primary and secondary using both whole hop flowers and or pellets.

I chucked some Galaxy in to my last brew commando [lol] and found it overpowering as there was floaties, this time I have made a draught and put the hops into a paint strainer bag. I put it on the boil for 3min and let it steep for 15 before adding it to the FV. I'm hoping not to have that hoppy particle/grit that I got last time. Only using 15gms. See how it goes. Muddy I'm with you on this one I think. [biggrin]

if you have the ability to cold condition - loose, if you do not, having a container of some sort (Bills tea Bag Balls are Bling) may be of benefit.

I have mostly always just tipped them in, I used to use the Chux / stocking method but find these days that I cant be bothered.. Hurl them in I say [innocent]

I do have plenty of fridges though [whistling

• 2 months later...
I used to go commando but then had troubles with my bottling wand blocking so then used either cheese cloth or a chux. Now I use SS tea infuser balls something like

hopball.jpg

Sorry to dig up an older thread (I was going to start a new one called "Need some help with my balls" but thought it might be considered childish...[innocent]

After having the same troubles as BillK in the above quote, I decided to get some of these things. I left enough in each ball to allow for expansion, but the buggers are still floating on top of the beer after a week and I can see that a lot of the matter inside them is still dry![crying] [crying] [crying]

Others who use these (or hop socks for that matter) to dry hop, do you weigh them down with something to keep them submerged or what?

I've heard of people using marbles, but how well would marbles sanitise?

Much appreciated.

used marbles in the past, they sanitise just fine but I found them to be a bit of a PITA, you can use some stainless steel bolts or whatever, I found though TBH that if you have the ability to CC then they will drop and compact, if you are bulk priming then the whole problem goes away when you rack into the priming vessel, you leave the vast majority behind in the cake in the primary.

Without the ability to CC, stainless nuts/bolts/knives, whatever.

Cheers

Archived