Coopers Community

Home Brand update

Took a hydrometer sample today and had a taste been in the FV 6 days anyhow I braced myself for a god awful flavour and took a mouthful.......... It tasted ok and to be honest it tasted very similar to Carlton Draught to be honest. Not to my liking but that is what my megaswill mates like still another week and day in the FV then bottle then after 2 weeks give one of my megaswill mates a sample. So this experiment is proving to be quite interesting

Friday it will be bottled I can't wait to see what the megaswill mates verdict will be [rightful]

Every post I see on this forum that talks of Megaswill for the uneducated beer drinker mates or masses, will be responded to with the following retort. . .

We must edumakate these vile megaswillers into what REAL beer is.

Never Sacrifice Flavour!

Teach 'em Wayno, don't pander to them!

Beer.

There is hope for anyone. I know, because I experienced it first hand.

My old man drinks VB at home and Carlton Draught at the pub - nothing else (in beer). VB on tap tastes like sh#t as does carlton in a stubbie. Coopers Pale Ale is disdained. I gave him a taste of my fruit salad ale and he raised his eyebrows.

We got home from the footy a few weeks ago and decided to have a drink to celebrate the Pies seeing off the Weagles, and I had some of these in the fridge:

2010_Beer_Torpedo.jpg

He turned his nose so i gave him bourbon, but let him have a taste of mine. Whaddya know, he said he liked it and would have one after the bourbon!

His very first IPA!

I generally brew for myself but I do like to entertain and try and cater for everyone some mates will drink anything with alcohol and will say not bad if they like it or that is too....... whatever reason usually too much hops I just got pissed off with the hardcore megaswill lovers saying they didn't like it etc so I thought f**k em I will make home brand and they like it well I know where their taste buds are [innocent]

There is hope for anyone. I know, because I experienced it first hand.

My old man drinks VB at home and Carlton Draught at the pub - nothing else (in beer). VB on tap tastes like sh#t as does carlton in a stubbie. Coopers Pale Ale is disdained. I gave him a taste of my fruit salad ale and he raised his eyebrows.

We got home from the footy a few weeks ago and decided to have a drink to celebrate the Pies seeing off the Weagles, and I had some of these in the fridge:

2010_Beer_Torpedo.jpg

He turned his nose so i gave him bourbon, but let him have a taste of mine. Whaddya know, he said he liked it and would have one after the bourbon!

His very first IPA!

And a big IPA at that!

7.2%, 65 IBU, definitely one for the hop lover.

Was considering a home brand with a few additions as an experiment. Considering most of the time home brand stuff is re labelled brand stuff as a way for merchandisers to enter a particular market. Anyone know who makes Woolworths home brand extract cans. Might just give it a whirl for the sake. Summers fast approaching, skull a beer on a hot day always works a treat.

Was considering a home brand with a few additions as an experiment. Considering most of the time home brand stuff is re labelled brand stuff as a way for merchandisers to enter a particular market. Anyone know who makes Woolworths home brand extract cans. Might just give it a whirl for the sake. Summers fast approaching, skull a beer on a hot day always works a treat.

interesting question, i cant see it being that bad. an $8 can plus 1kg of suger = around 30 cents a bottle[joyful]

Nice interjection MichaelD16.

Having worked in the industry for the past 13yrs I can agree with you on both points. Overall monetary circumstances have had the largest impact on overall volume sales though, & I don't attribute the reduction in overall beer sales as a 'turning point' away from megaswill beers. Your point about a growing interest via sales on craft beers & imported beers by customers is absolutely true.

Unfortunately as each generation comes of age, advertising pressure that backs certain labels as being the "IN THING" to drink, almost conforms a new drinker into a certain market of a select group of rivaling beers that they MUST drink to fit in with their group of friends.

Only a large brewing company in this country will ever change this mentality.

Beer.

Nice interjection MichaelD16.

Having worked in the industry for the past 13yrs I can agree with you on both points. Overall monetary circumstances have had the largest impact on overall volume sales though, & I don't attribute the reduction in overall beer sales as a 'turning point' away from megaswill beers. Your point about a growing interest via sales on craft beers & imported beers by customers is absolutely true.

Unfortunately as each generation comes of age, advertising pressure that backs certain labels as being the "IN THING" to drink, almost conforms a new drinker into a certain market of a select group of rivaling beers that they MUST drink to fit in with their group of friends.

Only a large brewing company in this country will ever change this mentality.

Beer.

you are right Beer, but its not just beer brands. my teenage daughter often has parties at home and i never see any of the blokes drinking beer. its all alcopop things that are sweet and fizzy. i never remember any of my mates drinking anything but beer and rum. i dont remember much choice either in the 70's, you just walked into the bar and said give me a pot please?

I hate that alcopop crap, it's worse than megaswill! [lol] It's only vodka mixed with some kind of soft drink type thing. If I'm gonna drink alcohol I want it to bloody well taste like alcohol, not a piece of bubblegum. I don't always drink beer, but when I don't it's usually Jack Daniels. I've always loved that ever since the first time I tried it. I am glad though that there's more beer choice out there, I think that's the reason I went to spirits in the first place because all that was available was megaswill, when I discovered the craft beers I got back into beer and now enjoy both[joyful]

(That's enjoy beer and spirits, not beer and megaswill [lol] [lol] )

....teenage daughter often has parties at home and i never see any of the blokes drinking beer....

+1

I have a mate who owns a bottle shop, when the alcopop tax was first introduced he said the young bloke customers tried swapping to beer. He tells me they were all back into premixes very quickly.

What is it about home brew that makes it better than Cascade, Boags, Crown, Tooheys etc. I remember how big a challenge it was at 16 to prove to your mates you were a man by forcing yourself to drink a couple of Cascade Blue long necks.

Earlier this year my Dad visited from QLD (XXXX Gold), I poured him a Mornington Pale Ale, he said it was too sweet. Poured him a Basic Blonde - Draught Can, LME and Dex no added hops - he said it was spot on.

So again what is it that makes the difference?

Who are the real men?

Is it the millions of Aussies and New Zealanders drinking VB or is it the 50,000 home brewers who have seen the light?

Who are the real men?

Is it the millions of Aussies and New Zealanders drinking VB or is it the 50,000 home brewers who have seen the light?

As much as I like to extoll the virtues of quality beer I would say that "real men" are the ones who don't get bogged down by trying to prove themselves and drink whatever they want; be it beer, water or a Shirley Temple with a cocktail umbrella.

Archived