Coopers Community

How do you crack grains?

King Ruddager

So tonight I came home with a couple of bags of grains and realised that I didn't know how to crack them. The first 250g I tried sorta smooshing and banging between two chopping boards, and then with the next 500g I was pouring it into a large bowl and trying to crack them with the bottom of a glass.

At the time it looked like it kinda worked, but I was expecting to make a very dark beer and in the end it was just kinda brown, so perhaps something went wrong or didn't happen enough?

Any tips on how to do this efficiently with basic household gear?

I used to use the rolling pin method but this gets old if you are doing any more than a couple of hunndred grams. Not to mention it doesn't really work too great in my opinion....

I use a Rolling pin, grease proof paper and a chopping board. I find it works well but only if you are patient, I crack less than 50g at a time. The minimum I usally add to abrew is 250g and I have added up to 500g so as Chad says it becomes old very quickly.

i do it two ways to mix it up. Either buy the grains in the quantity you want in the bag (for example, Grain and Grape do that for you) then use the rolling pin method while it's in the bag (prick it a few times to let air move around) or if i have bulk grains i do some in a baggie and some in the mortar and pestle to get a range of grinds. Seems to work well enough.

I see the Eh! is on that site Chad - a Canadianism?

I see the Eh! is on that site Chad - a Canadianism?

[lol] This is very much a Canadianism, eh. It is as common as you blokes saying "mate", eh!

I spent two years in WA down at Bunbury. If you didn't know any better you'd say Canadian's settled that place....eh!

Over here we have a xcheap mill called a corona grain mill. It has the grinder on the bottom with what looks like a metal spray paint cup on top open ended to put the grain in.

It's about $30USD. I have my 1st partial mash kit laying in wait till I get a mill myself. It's the cascade pale ale PM kit from midwestsupplies.com.

It's supposed to be like Sierra Nevada's pale ale,which I like.

It is pretty much the same process but mashing involves maintaining a constant temperature.

Base grains need to be mashed to extract dextrins and fermentable sugar from the grain. The enzymes that do this conversion are active during a particular temperature range so this needs to be maintained for a longer period (say 60 minutes).

With specialty grains there is no conversion taking place. You are really just extracting colour and flavour so temperature isn't overly important.

You can find a more scientific answer on the web; try "How to Brew" by John Palmer.

Archived