Coopers Community

Hops Hops and More Hops

They are actually just round the corner from me but alas Ive not used them yet... yet..

I cant seem to find their prices, and frankly I'd be surprised if they can beat $10 a pound which Nikohops has going (on selected varety's)

That said though, I still get a few parcels sent down from craft brewer every so often with "specialty" hops

Look around mate, make the dollar work for you.

Yob

There are sold through Morgan's Brewing, I might give them a try for a lager I'm trying to conceive using the OS can.

I gotta figure out what I like first before I start buying bulk [unsure]

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are sold through Morgan's Brewing, I might give them a try for a lager I'm trying to conceive using the OS can.

I gotta figure out what I like first before I start buying bulk [unsure]

I wouldnt bother with 12g hop tea bags, bit of a waste of money IMO... do you have a local HBS? If not give craft brewer a ring, if you are just wanting to try some before buying in bulk, get some smaller packages to 'test' and then when you know what you like, have at it with bigger buys. Ive been brewing about 3 years and have only just started with bulk buying recently for much the same reasons. I was getting 25g baggies from a HBS for ages. In fact I still have some of those in the freezer [lol] (POR and Perle I think)

Mostly, pick the style you want to brew, and just choose some from the style/hop link and give it a go.. dry hopping is a good place to start and then build up from there.

edit: @ Cloudy - Where abouts in Vic are you? I might even be able to spare you a bit of this and a bit of that to get you going.

Yob

I wouldnt bother with 12g hop tea bags' date=' bit of a waste of money IMO... do you have a local HBS? If not give craft brewer a ring, if you are just wanting to try some before buying in bulk, get some smaller packages to 'test' and then when you know what you like, have at it with bigger buys. Ive been brewing about 3 years and have only just started with bulk buying recently for much the same reasons. I was getting 25g baggies from a HBS for ages. In fact I still have some of those in the freezer [lol'] (POR and Perle I think)

Mostly, pick the style you want to brew, and just choose some from the style/hop link and give it a go.. dry hopping is a good place to start and then build up from there.

edit: @ Cloudy - Where abouts in Vic are you? I might even be able to spare you a bit of this and a bit of that to get you going.

Yob

Ok a couple of things to respond to here [alien]

Firxtly - The t-bags. Surely they work though?

Second - HBS (no idea what this is, google produced little. Home Brew Supplies?). I go to Brewcraft sometimes, Narre Brew supplies at others and Big W too [lol] - what ever will make my dollar work the most [pinched]

Third - I'm in Endeavour Hills. I'd like something for an OS lager (to, umm, make it good [whistling ). Dry hopping sounds the go. I'm after mild bitterness, hop flavour and aroma - a crisp summer beer (no idea if that makes sense)... It's a very kind offer Yob, do you have any to suggest or recommend?

T-bagging? Yeah I 'guess so'.. I wish i had a pound of hops for every post ive read saying dont bother though.. Now is the OS lager with a lager yeast or ale yeast? Ive plenty of hops for anything with an ale yeast, but lagers arent usually very hoppy.. Hence i dont make the feckin things [lol]

Im a hop fiend, love em, best beers ive ever drank, commercially and home brewed have a decent whack of hops to them..

That said, i do have some us saaz you are welcome to, i think they fit with lagers so if you want some let me know, im not far away from you in ringwood so too easy.

Maybe i can demo you an AG brew and you can take it home to ferment with some hops of choice.. As long as you like AIPA/APA beers..

Anyway, lager or ale, hops is da bomb... Ooh.. Maybe a pilsner urquell?

Yob

T-bagging? Yeah I 'guess so'.. I wish i had a pound of hops for every post ive read saying dont bother though.. Now is the OS lager with a lager yeast or ale yeast? Ive plenty of hops for anything with an ale yeast' date=' but lagers arent usually very hoppy.. Hence i dont make the feckin things [lol']

Im a hop fiend, love em, best beers ive ever drank, commercially and home brewed have a decent whack of hops to them..

That said, i do have some us saaz you are welcome to, i think they fit with lagers so if you want some let me know, im not far away from you in ringwood so too easy.

Maybe i can demo you an AG brew and you can take it home to ferment with some hops of choice.. As long as you like AIPA/APA beers..

Yob

No shiz? Free beer and hops, I'm in [ninja]

Look to be honest I don't really know which hops will give what flavour etc. I know there are forums, tables, articles telling me but until I actually brew it myself I'm really not going to know.

The yeast that comes with the kit is the Coopers yeast. So I was either going to use the Coopers yeast, ferment at around 12 deg C then harvest for the next lager I do - or buy a fermentis lager yeast and use that (harvest too).

I assumed that using the lager can the % quantities of hops, malt are more designed to the flavour of a lager. But, I'm under the impression the CO lager will be a boring watery beer. So I figured I'd add some hops, malt, fermentables and maybe a half decent yeast and it would come good.

The yeast that comes with the OS Lager kit is an ale yeast so it won't ferment at 12 degrees.

Get yourself either the S-23 or W34/70 by Fermentis or the twin pack Swiss Lager yeast from Craftbrewer.

Then keep it simple. The kit, malt, a little dex and some carapils. Use some Hallertauer or Saaz hops for a little flavour and aroma and you should get a nice crisp easy drinking beer for the summer.

Personally, I like the Pilsener kit with Pilsener malt and Saaz hops. I like the extra bitterness in this kit with the added hops.

And that is a great offer from Yob; you should definitely take him up on that.

Where is the male plant coming from? [annoyed]

Hops and Style

Enjoy

Well as far as I know stressing a plant out badly enough will turn it male...so experiments all around! I can probably get my hands on a some good information on it will let you know.

As far as I know your best bet is to dry the hops then vaccum seal it. The commercial system is no harder than getting a food dehydrator if you want to do it at home. As for making your own hope pellets its would be a refining process, probably using a chemical mix that extracts the oils and a small quantity of of plant matter ;)

As far as I know your best bet is to dry the hops then vaccum seal it. The commercial system is no harder than getting a food dehydrator if you want to do it at home. As for making your own hope pellets its would be a refining process, probably using a chemical mix that extracts the oils and a small quantity of of plant matter ;)

you are confused. Pellets are not oils, hop oil extraction is done with nitrogen I think, pellets are crushed and pressed flowers.

Yob

This a great thread! Something for everyone [lol]

I'm with Yob re hoppy beers, therefore Ales are my beer of choice. But I've mentioned it a few times that I recently went to the Czech republic and got stuck into the Pilsners there - [love]

Pilsner Urquell is fantsatic, but my fave was the Budweiser Budvar (or Bud\u011bjovick\xfd Budvar cos of the Americans, who don't care about 750 years of using the name). I bought a case of the Dark Lager when I got home cheap from Purvis. It's so good!

Because of that experience, I'm making a Munich Dunkel (although the ingredients are not quite right) with some hallertau hops. I got my yeast from Keg King in Springvale which is really close to my work. They have price lists for grains and hops on the site.

I'm keen to try to make an "Aussie Pilsner" using the Aussie developed "Southern Saaz" hops.

Here's some info on different pellet types Pellets

The yeast that comes with the OS Lager kit is an ale yeast so it won't ferment at 12 degrees.

Get yourself either the S-23 or W34/70 by Fermentis or the twin pack Swiss Lager yeast from Craftbrewer.

Then keep it simple. The kit, malt, a little dex and some carapils. Use some Hallertauer or Saaz hops for a little flavour and aroma and you should get a nice crisp easy drinking beer for the summer.

Personally, I like the Pilsener kit with Pilsener malt and Saaz hops. I like the extra bitterness in this kit with the added hops.

And that is a great offer from Yob; you should definitely take him up on that.

Wait so using a Coopers OS kit you will NEVER actually make a Lager?

Pilsener kit sounds good. I really want to put down a Hoegaarden recipe first through. If I do within the next 6 weeks it'll be ready for the hottest part of the Melbs year...

Yob I bought a 25L 'cube' from Bunnings but it aint a cube, it's rectangle [roll] I'll email you for details. Cheers mate!

Will Cost you the price of a cube. (23lt water drum from Bunnings) so almost free, it will certainly take the mystery out of it for you.

[smile]

Seems I can't email...

Will Cost you the price of a cube. (23lt water drum from Bunnings) so almost free, it will certainly take the mystery out of it for you.

[smile]

Seems I can't email...

are you active on AHB? If so shoot me a PM there (iamozziyob) otherwise I will try to catch you while online and do a quick post of email address / ph. No and then edit to delete.

PM on AHB preferred option.

Yob

P.S. I just got another hop rhizome today too [bandit] A massive fuggles bringing to to 6 different types and 9 plants in total [w00t]

Have I said I [love] Hops?

Nup not on AHB. I went to the website and it won't even open the 'register' page.

This will be great. I'm keen on trying saaz and fuggles. The former coz i remember reading them on heaps of commercial beers and so I might be able to recognise the flav. The latter coz it sounds cool [cool]

I just received an order from them the other day' date=' only took about 9 or 10 days to arrive, they're all in the freezer of course, still in their sealed packets. But will keep an eye out for those sales[happy']

and when you get to cracking them open, Please let us know how it all smells [ninja] [ninja]

since I was last here I got laid my hands on a 3rd year Fuggles Rhizome.. got Bines coming out the Wazoo [w00t] bringing my Growing total this year to this

Fuggles x 1(3rd Year)

EKG x1 (2nd Year)

Tettnanger x1 (2nd Year)

POR x1 (2nd Year)

Cascade x 1 (3rd Year)

Chinook x 3 (2nd Year)

Victoria x 2 (1st Year) (Half of what they Made Galaxy with.. other half was Perle)

erm.. I think Thats all [lol]

T-bagging? Yeah I 'guess so'.. I wish i had a pound of hops for every post ive read saying dont bother though.. Now is the OS lager with a lager yeast or ale yeast? Ive plenty of hops for anything with an ale yeast' date=' but lagers arent usually very hoppy.. Hence i dont make the feckin things [lol']

Yob

I just bottled an Urquell Imitation myself. You said at the start of your post Lagers aren't usually hoppy, but Czech Pilsners can be, Urquell itself is 40 IBU, which is a nice whack.

Here's the recipe I made if anyone's interested:

2.8 kg light dry malt

110 g Czech saaz - boiled 60 minutes

30 g saaz at 10 minutes to go

30 g saaz dry hopped at day 7

Boil volume was 13 litres at 1040 gravity.

Brewed to 21 litres, initial gravity 1052, final gravity 1015, Yeast strain was Wyeast 2001 Urquell Lager.

Archived