Coopers Community

Hops Hops and More Hops

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You said at the start of your post Lagers aren't usually hoppy

I did say 'usually' meaning there are exception to the rule, Urquell being one of them... there are others.

Im actually just putting together an Urquell recipe... I have 7 Cubes full of APA, IPA's and IIPA's so a bit of experimentation is called for I think..

I have Styrian goldings and Willamette so should be able to come up with something drinkable.

Now I just need to get a Yeast for it [alien]

• 2 weeks later...

some states ban growing hops? Not heard that at all... not allowed to ship to certain states is a different story [roll]

Chinook are notorius for starting late, dont worry they make up for it.. I have 3 Chinook and none have shot yet [annoyed]

G'day guys.

I think it's really cool you growing your own hops. [cool]

I was just wondering how you process them for use in your beers, & also what sort of aroma(s) they offer in the plant stage. Are they generally a strong smelling plant or more subtle smelling?

Beer.

Wow,you too?! Good to know it's not just me. I got a ton of NZ hops that were on sale at midwestsupplies.com 25% off,plus Saaz & Willamette from the LHBS from hop union. got some more cascade hops from midwest too. I'm set for a while,till I find the names.distributor of these certain hops describ3ed as being "crisp". I got a cool idea for an ale that thinks it's a lager that tastes like beers from the 50's/mid 60's. You never can get enough I suppose?...

I was just wondering how you process them for use in your beers' date=' & also what sort of aroma(s) they offer in the plant stage. Are they generally a strong smelling plant or more subtle smelling?[/quote']

First time grower BL, so can't speak from experience yet. You're supposed to dry the flowers and use them in the same way you use pellets or plugs, using slightly different amounts for the same result I think. Brewmate has different settings for flowers so I'll be guided by it!

Brewmate [love] [love]

• 3 months later...

Thought Id dig this up with a little update, there was another thread today about hops but there is some good reading in here that could do with a bump..

I was searching out some Amarillo.. as is half the country [roll] and came across this ON EBAY, both of them offering free postage which, for those experimenting and dont need huge amounts, its a good deal.

Happy brewing you Hop Heads [lol]

utter bastard!! [lol] Ive missed out on a couple of sales recently, lukily I still have some of last seasons.. really like to try some of the new years crop, dunno how they compare but will update when I get some

utter bastard!! [lol] Ive missed out on a couple of sales recently' date=' lukily I still have some of last seasons.. really like to try some of the new years crop, dunno how they compare but will update when I get some[/quote']

heya yob told you id go to LHBS on way home from hospital.....i asked about the hops...he said he had some cascade pellets coming in soon?????he had some copper tun cascade hops in "teabag set up......they were 15 gram packs....i bought two...i now gather you meant to try the pellets but ill try these copper tun things first...will 30 grams be too much for 23w litre brew?

heya yob told you id go to LHBS on way home from hospital

and i hope all was good old mate

well it wasnt great but it WAS better than we were thinking...ill know more next week but its looking abit brighter than last week.:)....doc didnt say stop drinking so hes a keeper lol

doc didnt say stop drinking so hes a keeper lol

Glad it wasnt too bad.....he probably thought it would be a waste of breath[innocent] [biggrin]

hahah no i asked him and he said its ok (relief) but yes it would be a waste of breath lol

[lol] [crying] [biggrin]

he had some copper tun cascade hops in "teabag set up......they were 15 gram packs....i bought two...i now gather you meant to try the pellets but ill try these copper tun things first...will 30 grams be too much for 23w litre brew?

30 grams will be about right IMO mate, Id usually say 1g/l for those starting on a Hop Addiction.. but I rekon you have the fortitude to handle a good hop punch to the face [lol]

As discussed earlier in the thread, T-Bags are ok (I guess) just not as economical as buying 100g-110g and 110g isnt as economical as bulk buying half kilo's and so on and so forth, small amounts are a good way to start so as you can gain experience with hops without

a. being lumbered with half a kilo you dont like..

b. a not needing a vac sealer

c. get a broader range of experimentation in a sooner time

Cheers

Good to have you back on board Nedster

thankyou yob......good to be back...we got stuck up in sydney a couple days longer due to bushfires........but im feeling a little better than i did last week.[biggrin]

he had some copper tun cascade hops in "teabag set up......they were 15 gram packs....i bought two...i now gather you meant to try the pellets but ill try these copper tun things first...will 30 grams be too much for 23w litre brew?

30 grams will be about right IMO mate, Id usually say 1g/l for those starting on a Hop Addiction.. but I rekon you have the fortitude to handle a good hop punch to the face [lol]

As discussed earlier in the thread, T-Bags are ok (I guess) just not as economical as buying 100g-110g and 110g isnt as economical as bulk buying half kilo's and so on and so forth, small amounts are a good way to start so as you can gain experience with hops without

a. being lumbered with half a kilo you dont like..

b. a not needing a vac sealer

c. get a broader range of experimentation in a sooner time

Cheers

kool he showed me the 100gm pack he had of other stuff. so if i like the hops ill go get that next time...im looking forward to tasting this APA now....i had my very first ever schooner of commercial Coopers Pale Ale yesterday at camden pub.......it was awesome....i really enjoyed it much more than i thought i would

i was worried if 30 gms too much or 15 gms too little......also i have to put the bags in just before the yeast it says on the packet...if it were the pellets i would put in at day 4 yes??

Archived