Coopers Community

Hops Hops and More Hops

This is what will happen to you all... [lol]

19620214.jpg

First half of the table

73311889.jpg

second half of the table.

23 Varietys... and Im buying 4 pounds from the states today bringing my total to 27 varietys of hops on hand...

[lol] Ive been into stores that dont stock that many hop varietys [lol]

Yob

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yob, where do you order these hops from??

This order was from Nikobrew who has a sale on selected hops for $10 a pound

Recently got 3 pounds off Yakima Valley Hops who had a similar deal..

generally wherever the sales provide the best value and if I have space permitting in the freezer.

The 4 pounds Ive just ordered Ive never used, Summit, Nugget, Apollo and Columbus/Tomohawk/Zues (CTZ)...

its AIPA season [love]

Yob

If you end up wanting to get pounds of hops at a time, do yourself a favour and get a vac. sealer before you open the packets, then you will be able to break them down into decent size baggies like pictured above..

Yob

do you have to keep them in a freezer or will in the fridge do.

depends on when you are going to use them and if you have the ability to re-seal them..

I store mine in the freezer but I do have a vac sealer so is no biggie for me, if I didnt, Id 'probably' keep open packets in the fridge.. I say probably because I dont have to make that decision.

Those pictured above are kept in clip lock containers in the freezer.

They will keep longer if you are able to store them vac sealed. If you are using what you have from brew to brew I wouldnt stress at all and just keep them in the fridge.. When my shipment arrives I ill have about 4kg so Im not able to use them in a hurry [lol]

that said though, Im giving it a good shot.. The brew I punched out yesterday had about 220g of hops in it [devil]

Yob

it's what I used to do but they aint great long term, if you were buying pounds I rekon by the time you got near the end you would be tossing them out.. of course that depends on how quick you were to use them.

like anything brewing related, they tend to go off if not stored in the right conditions. Hops will lose their aromatics if not sealed air tight..

and besides, those vac sealers are just so much damn fun to use!!

apart from my refractometer, it is the second to best tool in the brewery [love]

The one I bought came with 4 rolls of bags which I rekon will last me a few years, I rekon it's already paid for itself.. a worthy investment to anyones brewery IMO.

Yob

must be said, out of those I have a fair proportion of that are favorites, some of those in there like Sapphire and Pacific jade, Northern Brewer.. I dont tend to use very much at all.... but there's also a bucket load that I do [lol] [lol]

You can save LOADS in bulk buying..

Im all for it, supporting those poor American Farmers.. bless them all [crying] [love] [ninja]

Yob

This is what will happen to you all... [lol]

19620214.jpg

First half of the table

73311889.jpg

second half of the table.

23 Varietys... and Im buying 4 pounds from the states today bringing my total to 27 varietys of hops on hand...

[lol] Ive been into stores that dont stock that many hop varietys [lol]

Yob

I had to quote this just so the pictures are re-posted. Bloody unreal mate! Hops are my next challenge. Any websites etc you can point the less 'knowledged' as a starting ground?

Just got my first hop rhizome planted! Planted the chinook saturday.

Is this all hops from your garden mate? I watched a piece on hop growing in land line the other day, its a growing market [bandit] From what I picked up from land line its pretty simple to cross pollinate and create your own varieties [biggrin]

Did you even read through the thread? I dont have a processing plant at my house so clearly, pellet hops (pictured) are all purchased.

A warning about growing male plants, they will pollinate everybody elses plants for miles around so not highly advised, yeas you can make your own cultivars but best to leave it to the experts unless you have land way out country, give grafting a go or just be happy with getting free hops..

Yob

P.S. I do have some flowers in the freezer also but not from my own plants.

Calm down matey. Fortunately for me and all the other hop growers in the area...I'm actually a qualified horticulturalist...so leave it up the the expert [bandit] . As far as I know any males I grew would be covered with a plastic bag to stop said cross pollination issues as that is some kinda willy nilly way to destroy all the hops in the area as you mentioned. You'd have to be some kinda idiot to do that. Cross pollination is simple. I have done it with other things. The only reason you would graft is to get a stronger root system and hopefully more flowers. Considering flowers are super easy to grow anyway and rhizomes are very active root systems, I'll just stick to the magic nutrients without wasting my time and the plants energy by grafting it!! New varieties of Hops are worth big coin and cross pollination is easy. Ok I will name my first hop cultivar after you ;) so when you go in to buy some pellets one day and you seen a new variety called Yob's hops you'll know where it came from!!

Ok I will name my first hop cultivar after you ;) so when you go in to buy some pellets one day and you seen a new variety called Yob's hops you'll know where it came from!!

[lol] [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol]

I'm starting to wonder what aroma's you detect after sticking your head into bag of "Yob's" hop pellets [w00t]

Seeing as we're talking vacuum sealing bags, what if you Sous Vide'd you're hops in some water in this http://www.sousvidesupreme.com.au/online-shop/sous-vide-equipment/sous-vide-supreme-demi-starter-package. Would it keep more of the volatile oils in, just like the flavours when Heston cooks meat with it??

You need a vac sealer anyway [lol]

Where is the male plant coming from? [annoyed]

.... Anyway back to the serious part of the discussion....

here is also a handy link for those who want to play with hops for a certain style of beer..

well I thought it was cool

Hops and Style

Enjoy

Thanks Yob, that table is exactly what I was after, but no doubt to be able to locate such a vast variety will require buying bulk overseas.

Have/does anyone use Ellerslie hops?

They are actually just round the corner from me but alas Ive not used them yet... yet..

I cant seem to find their prices, and frankly I'd be surprised if they can beat $10 a pound which Nikohops has going (on selected varety's)

That said though, I still get a few parcels sent down from craft brewer every so often with "specialty" hops

Look around mate, make the dollar work for you.

Yob

Archived