Coopers Community

Bottling with carbonation drops

Nero

Just about to make my first brew using the Coopers DIY brew kit. I have watched the supplied video, and noticed that when bottling they were filling up to the top of the bottle. Does this leave enough room for the gasses without the danger of exploding bottles? I am new at this lark so any information gratefully received. Thanks

I do it beforehand' date=' just in case I forget. Before I fill the bottle I give it a little shake to hear if the drops are in. You can't hear or see if you do it after[/quote']

I do it before as well. Do a quick visual check before adding liquid to ensure I didnt miss or add too many drops.

I add drops afterward. It isn't messy at all and you can still tip the bottle to see if they are in. Pay attention to what you are doing and you shouldn't even have to check. Albeit, you can't visually see them.

Thanks for the information guys. All I need now is the courage to make my first brew. One thing I did notice with the Coopers beginers kit is that they don't supply any steralizer. Gone out and bought some Milton baby bottle steralizer, hope thats good enough.

I don't know anything about Milton Nero but Star San and Iodophor are both great no rinse sanitising options for brewing.

Note that these products (as probably miltons) will merely sanitise your equipment not sterilise. Generally we can minimise the risks but not eradicate them entirely.

Nero, remember the Nike slogan - Just do it.

If it turns out like shite, so be it. You learn from your mistakes, like everything in life.

I used table sugar in my first attempt at brewing [sick]

Bad move.

However, the brews have only gotten better from there.

It's not rocket science [rightful]

Brendan.

Not had the guts or time to make it yet. I will get round to it at the weekend. Being new at this lark' date=' I really don't want to mess it up.[/quote']

It is generally pretty hard to stuff things up. At worst you tend to end up with a beer that is not sensational but drinkable.

I look back on my first couple of brews and realise they were very, very, very average compared to what I churn out now. But I still drank it all [biggrin]

Let us know how you get on and good luck with it!

• 2 weeks later...

Made it on Tuesday evening, just about to take out the krausen?? thing. Only problem so far is the temperature, its hovering around the 24 degree mark. Beleive it or not we are experiencing a bit of summer here in Pom land. Ive tried wet towels but to no avail.

Lots of ways to bring down the temp... try,,

Freezing a couple of milk containers and sit them in a water bath and your fermenter.

Use the wet towels like a wick and hang one end in a bucket of water. Can blow a fan on this to make it even cooler.

Just a couple of hints, there is a lot more you can do.

Strap it and insulate it against the outside of the FV. I place mine against the side, cover it with two strips of neoprene (cut from a stubby holder) and tape it down.

Others use styrofoam or cardboard for insulation and hold it down with occy straps or underwear elastic [unsure]

Archived