Coopers Community

This is liquid Malt 101...sick of this food grade, brewing grade, feed grade bs...enjoy!

Stoobrew

What is Malt?

Malt Extract - Saccharide Profile

Fructose\t

1 - 2%

Glucose\t

7 - 10%

Sucrose\t

1 - 3%

Maltose\t

39 - 42%

Maltotriose\t

10 - 15%

Higher Saccharides\t

25 - 30%

Most Malts are slightly more than half as sweet as sucrose. The saccharide profile of Malt Extract, for example is 1-2% fructose, 7-10% glucose, 1-3% sucrose, 39-42% maltose, 10-15% maltotriose and 25-30% higher saccharides.

Since perceived sweetness basically is attributed to the mono and disaccharides fructose, glucose and sucrose, you can see why the overall sweetness of malt extract is lower than that of sucrose. With sucrose arbitrarily rated at 100 in sweetness value or scale, malt extract is about 55. Malt syrups, those with cereal adjunct, are rated at about 65. Keep these sweetness values in mind if the application you propose needs sweetness and you want to use a type of malt.

To give you an idea of Malt's wide application range, it can be found in the ingredient clauses of breakfast cereals, infant foods, saltine crackers, variety and party breads, crispy or hard rolls, soy milk, pet foods, pharmaceuticals, granola cereals and bars, rice cakes, pretzels, beverages, ice creams, cookies, icings, fillings and, of course, bagels. In addition, Malt also enhances chocolate and cocoa items by rounding out the bitter notes, resulting in a smoother, more mellow, chocolate flavor.

How is Malt Made?

The basic process used to produce malt will be described in general terms.

The basic malting process consists of three steps: steeping; germination; and drying.

Incoming raw barley is cleaned and graded to size, then put into cylindrical steep tanks with conical bottoms. Water is added and the barley allowed to absorb moisture to a 45-45% water content. The barley/water mixture in the steep tanks is agitated and aerated. When the optimum absorption has been achieved, the steeped grain is transferred to germinating beds.

Many variations in bed size exist in the malting industry but generally, as long as proper temperature and oxygenation conditions are available and maintained, they all seem to be satisfactory. Germination time varies from four to seven days, depending on the type barley and germination conditions.

The germinated "malt", or "green malt" at this stage, is fed into kilns and dried rapidly to about 6-12% moisture. This stops the germination, but leaves the activated enzymes intact. These enzymes, basically alpha and beta amylases, with some proteases, also are referred to as the diastase system, thus, the term "diastatic" for describing enzyme-active malt.

Final stages of processing the dried malted grain into liquid extracts or syrups involve crushing, "mashing" with water in mash tuns, then to lauter tuns and finally to the evaporators. During mashing, some of the barley starch is hydrolyzed into fermentable sugars. Also, by "mashing in" other cereal adjuncts, usually corn grits, at this stage, many other syrup variations are possible. The prepared mash goes to the lauter tuns where starch hydrolysis is continued and completed. The liquid portion of the lauter stage, or wort, is then drawn off to the evaporators. The residue from the lauter tuns, basically hulls, is usually sold as a high protein animal feed.

Depending on the type of malt desired, light or dark, diastatic or non diastatic, the evaporation conditions are adjusted accordingly. the final liquid malt from the evaporators is then packed in pails, drums, totes, trucks or railcars.

Basic Malt Extract profiles are shown here. The liquid Malt Extracts are evaporated to a uniform solids level of 79-82% and differ only in color and the presence or absence of diastatic activity. While these depict standard products, keep in mind that many different extracts can be produced. These could differ in any category - the solids could be higher or lower, although less than 70% solids is not recommended due to malt's ready fermentability when diluted. On the other hand, if extracts are evaporated to more than 82% solids, the viscosity is increased exponentially - for example, at 84% solids, you can almost walk on the extracts! Of course, these higher solids, extracts have to be kept very warm in order to handle them and are produced only for special applications.

Malt Extracts (All Barley)

Typical Analysis

\t Light\tDark\t60\xba Lintner\tDry

Solids (%)\t79 - 82\t79 - 82\t79 - 82\t96.5 -98.0

Ash (%)\t1.0 - .5\t1.0 - 1.5\t1.0 - 1.5\t0.8 -1 .0

Reducing Sugars as Maltose (%)\t 55 - 65\t55 - 65\t55 - 65\t71 - 75

Protein (% Nx5.7)\t3.5 - 5.5\t 3.5 - 5.5\t3.5 - 5.5\t5.2 - 6.7

pH (10% solution)\t5.0 - 5.6\t5.0 - 5.6\t5.0 - 5.6\t5.6 - 6.2

Color Transmittance\t 70 - 85\t40 - 55\t70 - 85\t60 - 85

Enzyme Activity (\xbaLintner)\tNil\tNil\t60\xba *\tNil

*Cereal Amylase

Reducing sugars (sucrose is not a reducing sugar) can vary with the type barley used initially, as can the protein. these sugars are important in helping produce the brown crust during baked due to the Maillard reaction. pH is fairly uniform although more acidic or more basic forms are available.

Color is very adjustable with temperature as is the enzyme activity. In fact, to produce an enzymatic, or diastatic extract, the evaporation temperatures obviously have to be maintained lower than the kill temperatures of the diastatic system. Conversely, the temperature is raised for the non diastatic types to kill the enzymes and raised further to produce the darker colored forms of malt.

The Dry malt Extract shown is the spray-dried form of the liquid non diastatic extracts. It too, can be varied depending on the desired levels of its various physical characteristics. While Dry Malt Extracts are easier to handle than the liquids, they are more expensive than the liquids and are hygroscopic as well. However, when used in combination with other dry ingredients such as in mixes, the dry malts work fine. This is due to their dispersion and consequent reduced tendency to attract moisture.

Note the similarities of these malt Syrups to the Malt Extracts. Solids are still 79-82%, pH is the same range and colors are very similar also. The differences occur in the reducing sugars and protein. The reducing sugars are higher due to the corn adjunct and the protein is lower because of corn's lack of protein. By the way, these profiles depict a malt to corn ratio of about 65:35. Many other ratios are possible, from 10:90 to 90:10, depending on the user's desired applications and physical characteristics. While these products are made using he natural diastatic system, there are products on the market achieving similar characteristics and profiles which use added fungal enzymes, not the natural diastatic system, and are physical blends of malt extracts and corn syrups. If you recall, the process described earlier used malted barley and corn grits in the mash stage of production, resulting in what are considered natural products.

Dry non diastatic malt syrups are the spray dried forms of their liquid counterparts. While only two standard items are shown, other variations of color and flavor are possible, from lighter to darker and from mild malt flavor to a pronounced malt flavor.

Dry Diastatic Malt, a dry blend of malted barley flour, wheat flour and dextrose, as compared to the previous dry non diastatic malts, shows lower reducing sugars, higher protein and a lighter color. It should be stressed here, however, that dry diastatic malt contributes very little in terms of flavor or color versus use of liquid diastatic malt. If liquid diastatic malt were to be dried, the enzymes, or diastatic system, would be rendered inactive due to the heat that must be used in the drying process. Therefore, the only way to achieve a dry diastatic malt is by dry blending the malted barley flour, which is enzymatically active in the range of 200\xba Lintner, with the standardizing ingredients wheat flour and dextrose. (While it is a "malt", malted barley flour does not have a malt flavor nor does it contribute much to color. It basically is just a flour with enzymatic activity.) The blending ratios used will vary depending on the beginning activity of the malted barley flour versus the desired finished product Lintner values of either 20\xba L. or 60\xba L. Basically then, by using dry diastatic malt, the only beneficial characteristic available is that of enzymatic activity (not color, not flavor, not crust characteristics). Conversely, of course, by using diastatic malt, the beneficial malt characteristics are available to the user.

Of general interest perhaps, particularly to the nutritionists, is the next listing of the compound found so far in malt extract. This is a compilation of many test results from many different extracts since the barleys used do differ somewhat from variety to variety and from region to region - even field to field! Of course, most of the compounds listed are present in only very small amounts with the exceptions of maltose and higher saccharides and some of the minerals.

Keep in mind that malt contributes maltose (sweetness), mineral salts, soluble proteins, dough conditioning enzymes, flavor, color, and nutritive materials which promote vigorous yeast activity, accelerate dough conditioning, and adds flavor and aroma to the finished products. Diastatic malts, either liquid or dry, supplement the amylase in the wheat flour to provide sugar for fermentation and improve dough handling by helping modify, or relax, the gluten in the wheat flour. non diastatic malt, also liquid or dry, basically add flavor and color, as well as sweetness. the type malt to use should be the one which optimizes the effects of the other ingredients reduces processing requirements, balances the flavor level and results in a richer, more saleable finished product.(Yes it was about bagels....makes it even funnier)

Ref: http://www.maltproducts.com/news.whatismalt.html

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmm its just a description on how malt is made? Learnt that at beer school [pinched]

Brewing vs. Food-Grade Extracts

Brewing-grade malt extracts are made with only the highest quality brewing malts and get additional colors and flavors from using specialty malts. This gives them a flavor suitable for beer or other products where they are the main flavor component. Food-grade malt extracts are often made with non-brewing grade food or distilling malt, and are usually used as a minor ingredient. In many cases, malted barley products for the food industry are blended with corn syrup, caramel color or other ingredients. This might not be apparent from the trade name or brand name of the product, but it will appear on the ingredient statement. Darker versions of food grade extracts are often made by heating them until they darken to the desired color. This lowers the pH of the extract and generates darker, molasses-like flavors.

Nonetheless, the manufacture of brewing-grade and food-grade malt extracts both involve variants of the brewing process in which malted grains are crushed and mashed. The wort is separated from the spent grains and is then concentrated and dried.

http://www.byo.com/stories/techniques/article/indices/30-extract-brewing/1106-making-malt-extract

of course you can use any liquid malt in your beer but you dont know what your getting unless its clearly described as the brewing specific ones are.

The only thing I wanna know is if beer made with Saunders Malt is any good!! but initial reports dont sound to flash!

Nonetheless, the manufacture of brewing-grade and food-grade malt extracts both involve variants of the brewing process in which malted grains are crushed and mashed. The wort is separated from the spent grains and is then concentrated and dried.
they go through all the ph and stuff above mate. And that IS the way to make a darker malt...cook it longer...anyways...

I just still dont understand why 'Morgan's Brewing Company' would be making this as a specific product for malted drinks...I really think someone in the marketing department when they had a surpluss one day thought, heck lets label it as a malt drink and sell it to the supermarket! Anyways just go for it I say, you have brewed enough just substitute it for what ever malt you have previously used and you'll be able to taste the difference/or lack of better than me [rightful] Honestly go for it..if you can do that recipe. I just cracked one...a week in cause the misses is being loud as and I need to sleep...its great and will only get better!!

I really think someone in the marketing department when they had a surpluss one day thought' date=' heck lets label it as a malt drink and sell it to the supermarket! [/quote']

yep that's entirely possible.!!

but I can't find it in supermarkets.... So relying on you guys opinions at the moment. Hope they have a canning date on them too Malt doesnt age real well for beer purposes.

You cant find the Saunders Malt at the supermarket? Have you asked? Its hidden on the bottom shelf of mine, really hard to see unless your about 3 foot tall :/ Its in an air tight tin with a lid and system exactly the same as on your milo, so sealed foil under a pop top can lid!

Any decent sized woolie or coles will have it, its a core line in their stores I remember packing it when I worked in night fill before I had even finished high school some 14 years back now...and its at the coles up the road and its tiny! They have nada in terms of selection...good luck! Honestly if you cant find it ask ;) and maybe you can get the groceries manager into hb while your there!! Those boys all like their beer!

Stoo, you are getting a little wound up about malt. You've created a monster; there are about 7 threads now discussing the topic. Just relax.

The science is all very interesting but in the end it all comes down to whether you like it.

If it works and you like it then great; otherwise lesson learnt.

Good luck with the experiment and let us know how it tastes.

Some beers have stranger things in them. Apparently Carlton Draught is made from beer. Amazing [biggrin]

Saunders' again?

I call shenanigans, truths, crock, bulls**t (or as you so eloquently put it in the title of this thread 'Bs'), or whatever you want to call it.

But first of all I must applaud you on your amazing googling and impressive copy/paste skills.

For anyone who does not want to read the plagiarized version, the original can be found on this bagel website:

LINKY - WHAT IS MALT AND HOW CAN IT IMPROVE YOUR BAGEL? - LINK

*disclaimer* I can not be held responsible for wasted time reading what has already been posted in an attemt to look clever *disclaimer*

Although your nugget of bagel improvement is quite comprehensive on the process of making malt, you neglected to mention that malt can be made from pretty much any cereal grain (ie barley, rye, oats, wheat, rice, sorghum, millet, corn, etc. or a mixture thereof). In fact, you only mention barley, but I suppose that's what happens when you take someone else's work and repost it.

Try making a wheat beer with rice malt and let us know how you get on.

Malt Extract - Saccharide Profile

fructose+glucose+sucrose+maltose+maltotriose+higher saccharides

The sum of the igredients doesn't make malt, any more that metal+glass+rubber+plastic makes a car.

Even if this was the true definition of malt, you still do not know the composition of Saunders'.

I just still dont understand why 'Morgan's Brewing Company' would be making this as a specific product for malted drinks.

Not understanding something doesn't make your version of reality true.

Maybe its because Saunders' is a byproduct of their brewing products, just like dogfood is a byproduct of our food.

They're both meat, but i know that a fillet steak is going to taste better than a can of chum.

Again, as mentioned on your last recent thread on the same subject, saunders:

a) does not come in different darkensses for different beers. I like to use extra light malt extract for lighter beers (eg cerveza) and dark extract for dark beer (eg stout)

b) does not save money. using LDM is cheaper. 1.5kg tin of malt extract = aprox 1.1kg dry

c) in many cases, is harder to find than real brewing malt

d) does not have a history of great beer.

I'm sure your Saunders' brew will be drinkable, and I hope that it is nice, but I really don't see it taking over the market as a brewing product.

Aparently it results in an "anzac biscuit" falvour beer.

This is a completely unbiased view of both anzac biscuits and saunders', but if you had directed your googling skills towards brewing instead of bagels and the process of making unspecified malts you would have found this out a lot quicker.

Looking through the other recent posts on the forum I notice you've resurected a year old thread on the same subject too.

Instead of replying to that thread and keeping it alive any longer, or editing my previous post, I'll just add another reply.

I'm a horticultralist so I do get the technicals

Ive seen seen you make this claim a few times to strengthen your argument, but I don't see any relevance.

Horticulture: n

the cultivation of a garden, orchard, or nursery; the cultivation of flowers, fruits, vegetables, or ornamental plants.

I grow stuff. I'm a horticulturalist.

So is my mother.

Johnny Appletree who prunes cider apple trees is a horticulturalist.

So is Rose-Daisy McLillypad who has a few bonsai trees in hr shrubbery.

Also Paddy the potato grower.

My sister once grew an avocado from the stone, I'm not sure if that counts (it would if she grew a few and planted them together)...

Being a horticulturalist is pretty irrelevant when it comes to brewing unless you're growing your own grain, sugar cane/beet or hops.

Admittedly, a horticulturalist has a beter change of growing all ingredients for a brew from start to finish, and that would be an awesome achievement possibly resulting in the the king of all fermented foodstuffs, however knowing how things grow does not necessarily make you in any way knowledgable about brewing stuff.

Just in case Horticulture 101 did not mention it, yeast is not a plant (you mentioned your horticulture skills relating to yeast life-cycle knowledge at some point too).

i hope this clears up the horticulture/brewing thing.

I used to work on a golf course a few years back and did an apprenticeship in greenkeeping, part of which was to study horticulture at TAFE. Now while this would undoubtedly help me if I was to go to the extreme of growing all my ingredients, I have yet to actually use any of that knowledge as part of the brewing process...

Admittedly' date=' a horticulturalist has a beter change of growing all ingredients for a brew from start to finish, and that would be an awesome achievement possibly resulting in the the king of all fermented foodstuffs,[/quote']

This quote made me think of a bloke down in Tassie...www.2mt.com.au Now there is someone with a fair bit of control over what goes into his beer [cool]

Graham B8

You never said it would taste like Anzac biccies >>>>>> Runs to Woolies for a can

ROFL!!! Yes I read that from another forum...I thought you seriously made beer that tasted like anzac biscuits and you DIDNT like it... [biggrin]

I used to work on a golf course a few years back and did an apprenticeship in greenkeeping' date=' part of which was to study horticulture at TAFE. Now while this would undoubtedly help me if I was to go to the extreme of growing all my ingredients, I have yet to actually use any of that knowledge as part of the brewing process...[/quote'] Turfy....nah I'm just really into the technical side of horticulture, using different breeds to cross polinate to come up with my own varieties of veg etc, so I guess really your growing yeast to ferment beer...its kinda of like a plant in my mind...it needs to stay warm,or the yeast will go dormant(that is what deciduous trees do in winter mate), so there is an optimal 'growing' temperature for yeast which is the EXACT same as plants...kinda funny really. Besides that you have to sanitise your tools because otherwise you can spread nasty pest and disease you may pick up from one plant or garden to another! So to me I find there are lots of similarities as yeast is a living organism just like a plant. I'm growing it and the better I can grow it(ie the more I know about how it grows) the better beers I can make[devil]

hor\xb7ti\xb7cul\xb7ture (h\xf4rt-klchr)

n.

1. The science or art of cultivating fruits, vegetables, flowers, or ornamental plants.

2. The cultivation of a garden.

I guess this passion for Gardens has completely crossed over to brewing now aswel! I told my gf it was dangerous getting me into hobbys...anyways I dont understand Muddy? What about Eion[crying] hes not being a douche at all is he? Sorry if this is annoying you mate...go read something else if its upsetting you! I'm just going to point this out to everyone...maybe because I'm qualified and love plants...I see horticulture and living organisms in a slightly different way to some people on here [alien]

Archived