Coopers Community

Malts life

Hello everyone,

I’ve been doing a bit of googling about this but am getting lots of different answers. Roughly how long would malts ordered from the Coopers store last (stored unopened in the bag as pictured below)?

Just have a few recipes I’ve bought and hadn’t gotten around to making yet. The brew extract cans and malt extracts are still within their best before date, so just wanted to see if my old malt will ruin the brew.

Cheers!

IMG_1847.jpeg

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, lachstock said:

Hello everyone,

I’ve been doing a bit of googling about this but am getting lots of different answers. Roughly how long would malts ordered from the Coopers store last (stored unopened in the bag as pictured below)?

Just have a few recipes I’ve bought and hadn’t gotten around to making yet. The brew extract cans and malt extracts are still within their best before date, so just wanted to see if my old malt will ruin the brew.

Cheers!

IMG_1847.jpeg

Uncracked it should last for a long time, how old is it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, lachstock said:

This one in quite old, I bought in October 2022

I have read that 12 months is about the lifespan of cracked grain, but I have used older stuff & it still worked out, as @Pale Man said, intact it should be OK.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

In a sealed pack, uncracked......I'd use it.

+1 to that I just used some that was about three years old no probs! Been in the shed for about three years sealed in a plastic bag and inside a sealed container! It was about 880grams of wheat, melanoidin and carafa II mixed with fresh base malt. As long as it’s sealed and dry👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, lachstock said:

Hello everyone,

Cheers!

IMG_1847.jpeg

If sealed and stored cool and dry, it should last for ages.  At least 2 years.  But it can still be used after that time too.  In my early days, I reckon I used malt that was 5 years old.

I think the 21305 is a Julian date for when the grain was packaged.  21305 is the 305th day of 2021, which was 1 November 2021. 

I would be happy to use that malt still.  If you open it and it smells bad at all (which it should not), I would throw it away.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I have read that 12 months is about the lifespan of cracked grain, but I have used older stuff & it still worked out, as @Pale Man said, intact it should be OK.

I've read that the lifespan of cracked grain is only about 2 weeks. I haven't done any brewing with old cracked grain so it is just what I have read. Whole grain (uncracked) usually has a best before date of 2 years from packing, I reckon that it would probably be good for much longer than that.

Edited by kmar92
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, lachstock said:

Hello everyone,

Cheers!

IMG_1847.jpeg

If it is sealed and intact, it should be fine. I could say open it and see if it is still hard and crunchy, it is fine but once you open it, you either need to reseal or use it. If it is exposed to air, it'll go stale quicker. I keep all my specialty grains in vacuum sealed bags and they seem to last a long time. However, if they sit there and air gets in, they get soft and stale.  That is when I would get rid of them. 

• Like 1