Coopers Community

Extract Beer

Hi Brewers

I'd like to put together an extract beer i.e. using unhopped ingredients.

I have a can of Coopers Light Malt Extract but maybe need 1kg of LDM or BE3 to go with the tin.
My local brew man said not to use 2 cans of malt as it would make it too sweet? What do you think?
I also have on hand 25g of chinook, simcoe and citra. 

Can you fellers put together a recipe please?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jackgym said:

Hi Brewers

I have a can of Coopers Light Malt Extract but maybe need 1kg of LDM or BE3 to go with the tin.
My local brew man said not to use 2 cans of malt as it would make it too sweet? What do you think?

You could use the LME & BE3 together & steep 200-250gms of Carapils or Crystal to aid body & head retention.

Simcoe & Citra would go well together IMO whichever way you use them, maybe steep one & dry hop the other about 4-5 days before bottling.

It's all about studying & experimenting to find what works for you.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jackgym said:

Hi Brewers

2 cans wouldnt make it too sweet but if you like a lighter less malty brew then go the BE3. 

Id use 20gm of the chinook as bittering in a 30min stovetop boil with half the BE3. After 30 min you cut the heat throw in half the citra and simcoe and steep for 10 mins while cooling down the pot. Strain it into the fermenter and add the can and the rest of the BE3. And as @Classic Brewing Co said use the rest in a dry hop. Should make an easy to drink pale ale.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

You could use the LME & BE3 together & steep 200-250gms of Carapils or Crystal to aid body & head retention.

Simcoe & Citra would go well together IMO whichever way you use them, maybe steep one & dry hop the other about 4-5 days before bottling.

It's all about studying & experimenting to find what works for you.

Thanks Classic.

29 minutes ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

2 cans wouldnt make it too sweet but if you like a lighter less malty brew then go the BE3. 

Id use 20gm of the chinook as bittering in a 30min stovetop boil with half the BE3. After 30 min you cut the heat throw in half the citra and simcoe and steep for 10 mins while cooling down the pot. Strain it into the fermenter and add the can and the rest of the BE3. And as @Classic Brewing Co said use the rest in a dry hop. Should make an easy to drink pale ale.

Thanks Greeny.

As @Greenyinthewestofsydney said 2 cans won't make it too sweet. There are plenty of 2 can recipes in the recipe section. Liquid malt is no more or less sweet than dry malt. BE3 is a mixture of Light Dry Malt, dextrose and maltodextrin, basically it's a mixture of simple and complex carbohydrates, i.e. sugars. Whichever combination you use it won't turn out too sweet as long as you get your bittering (hops) in the right range.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Nelson's Light

Great place to start,  later you can change the recipe to your liking.

This is my go-to recipe these days. Besides changing up the hops, I also use LME instead of DME for the fermentables (I still use DME in the boil).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, jackgym said:

Hi Brewers

Excuse my ignorance, but I need to ask why?  When there are multitudes of kit concentrates, and what you already have will be usable, what exactly are you trying to achieve?

If you want to start from zero, buy some Woolworths Home Brand Lager.  As they say, it tastes like malt and hops if you add malt and hops.

Edited by glivo
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, glivo said:

Excuse my ignorance, but I need to ask why?  When there are multitudes of kit concentrates, and what you already have will be usable, what exactly are you trying to achieve?

If you want to start from zero, buy some Woolworths Home Brand Lager.  As they say, it tastes like malt and hops if you add malt and hops.

Flexibility.

You can make some great beers doing k&b but you always have to work with the hops in the pre-hopped can. This limits your options. If you go clean sheet, you can design a beer the way you want it to be. 

• Like 4

On 5/14/2024 at 6:48 AM, jackgym said:

Hi Brewers

Coopers Australian Lager is one of the best recipes in the Coopers range that only uses unhopped ingredients.  You could swap out the Light Dry Malt for another can of Liquid Malt for an almost identical result.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Coopers Australian Lager is one of the best recipes in the Coopers range that only uses unhopped ingredients.  You could swap out the Light Dry Malt for another can of Liquid Malt for an almost identical result.

I like it Shamus.

• Like 2