Coopers Community

Cold Crashing Advice.

Pale Man

Hello brewers. I'm after some cold crashing advice.

My pub lager has been sitting at 2 degrees C for 3 days. I was meant to keg tonight but a few things got in the way.

I'll keg tomorrow . Is a 4 day cold crash ok? Its a Coopers Fermenter.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

My pub lager has been sitting at 2 degrees C for 3 days. I was meant to keg tonight but a few things got in the way.

3 days to 40 days, and beyond is fine for a cold crash IMHO 😜

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Pale Man I have done (cold crashed) lagers in the Coopers FV for more than a week.  Helps with clarity when you finally get them into the keg.  Got a current Carlton Draught 44 L clone that's been nearly 3 weeks cold crashed simply because I have run out of kegs (I have 13 of them) and it has to wait until three of them are MT & cleaned & sanitised.  Plus, I have not had time to cube up another 44 L batch of the same beer to drop onto the DL yeast trub.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, iBooz2 said:

@Pale Man I have done (cold crashed) lagers in the Coopers FV for more than a week.  Helps with clarity when you finally get them into the keg.  Got a current Carlton Draught 44 L clone that's been nearly 3 weeks cold crashed simply because I have run out of kegs (I have 13 of them) and it has to wait until three of them are MT and cleaned & sanitised.  Plus, I have not had time to cube up another 44 L batch of the same beer.

Thanks fella. Relieved a bit. I'll keg her tomorrow anyway. 

• Like 1

It will be fine.  The longer the cold crash the better with lagers (up to a point), a bit different with ales.  It drops more yeast out the longer it is cold crashed and the clearer it becomes.  Sort of like conditioning the lager before it goes into your keg.  Next time you do a lager, cold crash it for 14 days and you will see the difference.  You will be able to put it on tap much sooner as against one that has not been cold crashed for as long.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Thanks fella. Relieved a bit. I'll keg her tomorrow anyway. 

I had a Saison in the Coopers fermenter cold crashing for close to a month when I was waiting for my kegerator to arrive I didn’t want to bottle again 🤣It was a beautiful clear beer 🍻 

• Like 4

It'll be fine. My pilsner has been sitting there for about 3 weeks or whatever it's been. It will be kegged on Saturday and I expect it'll be nice and clear and probably taste better than the usual week and a bit they get. Only reason being that I've been a bit lazy/haven't actually had any time to get the empty kegs cleaned up. They are still in the kegerator though so they won't be horrid. 

I think if it gets left for a period like that at around fermentation temperature it's more of a risk of developing off flavours than it is chilled down though. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Pale Man said:

All good mate. I usually CC for 5-7 days. 

• Like 2