Coopers Community

Brew Day What Did You Make - 2024

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

If its my COPA off BrewFather (Alicat) then I have since modified my recipe a tad, the wheat malt is now roughly double what it was shown in that recipe.  If I get time I will share the COPA v 2.0 via Brewfather library for you.

That’s the recipe I used, but I might have mucked it up. As I never did a hopstand before I chucked the hops in after the end of thee boil and let them steep, the hot temperature might have extracted too much bitterness.after a week it’s down to 1012 from OG 1045. I will check it tomorrow agaimage.thumb.jpg.101416b061ccdd7dd14bfdca41cf05bf.jpgin 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz II said:

That’s the recipe I used, but I might have mucked it up. As I never did a hopstand before I chucked the hops in after the end of thee boil and let them steep, the hot temperature might have extracted too much bitterness.after a week it’s down to 1012 from OG 1045. I will check it tomorrow agaimage.thumb.jpg.101416b061ccdd7dd14bfdca41cf05bf.jpg

Did you throw the hops in commando or use a hop sock at 15g you will be ok I've used 25g on a steep and it was fine

Edited by Back Brewing
  • Like 3

I brewed a clone of Tree House Brewing's Hazy IPA.

23 litre batch; 7.1% ABV; OG 1.071 (Actual was 1.074); FG 1.017; 44 IBU; 9 EBC

• 6.5kg Coopers Pale Malt
  • 800g Quick Oats
  • 400g Carapils
  • 200g Acidulated Malt
  • 14g Magnum 50 minute boil (16 IBU)
  • 4g Simcoe 50 minute boil (4 IBU)
  • 8g Simcoe 20 minute boil (6 IBU)
  • 6g Amarillo Cryo 20 minute boil (5 IBU)
  • 4g Citra Cryo 20 minute boil (5 IBU)
  • 10g Amarillo Cryo 20 minute hopstand at 90 (3 IBU)
  • 8g Citra Cryo 20 minute hopstand at 90 (4 IBU)
  • 50g Amarillo Cryo dry hop
  • 50g Citra dry hop
  • 50g Simcoe dry hop
  • Starter of Lallemand Verdant IPA yeast

Some parts of brew day went very well.  Some parts of brew day were a bit of a disaster.  I will be surprised if this brew turns out okay.

Firstly, a good.  I had noticed my grain crush was getting less pulverised.  Plus, my efficiencies had been dropping off by a few points.  Many grains appeared whole.  However, when I picked them up, I could crush the grains in my fingers.  I was thinking maybe the knurling on my grain mill rollers was starting to wear, meaning less of a gap between the rollers.  So slightly less crushed grain.  I decided to adjust the gap, just a little.  I first adjusted the setting on the side of the mill facing me.  Then I turned the mill around to adjust the off-side setting.  Some how the setting had moved 2 notches to 0.065" instead of 0.045".  This was the reason for my grain crush issue.  Set it back to 0.045 and off we go.  Brewhouse efficiency was up by 6% on what I had been getting lately.

Now a bad.  There has been a bit of chat on the forum about dry hopping in a pressure fermenter.  One option I had read a bit about is using a pair of magnets to suspend the dry hop sock above the wort inside the FV from day one.  I bought my magnets from a lhbs to make sure they were foodsafe.  I like to put a good number of stainless steel washers inside the hop sock to weigh it down.  Problem being, the washers just outdid the power of the magnets.  So when setting up this thing, the hop sock fell to the bottom of the FV.  Had to fish it out of the FV.  Had to find the tiny magnets.  Had to remove the washers.  I tried to be as sanitary as possible, but with only two hands it was impossible.  In the end, I managed to get the hop-sock-drop set up in the FV.  All seemed good.  The problem then became the hop sock dangling down so that it just touched the top of the wort.  So I am going to be partially dry hopping for the whole fermentation time.  Plus, at one point before pitching yeast, I was trying to raise the hop sock by moving the magnets further apart, when the tension on the hop sock exceeded the strength of the magnets, so one end of the sock dropped into the wort.  Again had to fish it out, breaking so many sanitation protocols.

The actual brew went quite well.  Slightly higher OG than predicted.  Also got an extra litre of wort (although that did not help with trying to keep the hop sock out of the wort).  Sparge was slow with all the Quick Oats, but did not get stuck.  I used plenty of rice hulls to help with sparging.  I do hope this turns out okay.  But I will not be doing the hop sock magnet thingy again.

Pretty full mash 

IMG_4579.JPG.29eeebf6b726f2f603ea5cc11f031212.JPG

Sparge tunes

IMG_4580.thumb.PNG.546a90cf0cbe7a32f6d8eb509b52518a.PNG

Transferring to the FV - Note sagging hop sock

IMG_4581.JPG.6087940699a0f712fd8e918ba507102d.JPG

Tucked into fermenting fridge

IMG_4582.thumb.JPG.74e1f81ac01426972a3c46b1f2512ab6.JPG

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I brewed a clone of Tree House Brewing's Hazy IPA.

23 litre batch; 7.1% ABV; OG 1.071 (Actual was 1.074); FG 1.017; 44 IBU; 9 EBC

• 6.5kg Coopers Pale Malt
  • 800g Quick Oats
  • 400g Carapils
  • 200g Acidulated Malt
  • 14g Magnum 50 minute boil (16 IBU)
  • 4g Simcoe 50 minute boil (4 IBU)
  • 8g Simcoe 20 minute boil (6 IBU)
  • 6g Amarillo Cryo 20 minute boil (5 IBU)
  • 4g Citra Cryo 20 minute boil (5 IBU)
  • 10g Amarillo Cryo 20 minute hopstand at 90 (3 IBU)
  • 8g Citra Cryo 20 minute hopstand at 90 (4 IBU)
  • 50g Amarillo Cryo dry hop
  • 50g Citra dry hop
  • 50g Simcoe dry hop
  • Starter of Lallemand Verdant IPA yeast

Some parts of brew day went very well.  Some parts of brew day were a bit of a disaster.  I will be surprised if this brew turns out okay.

Firstly, a good.  I had noticed my grain crush was getting less pulverised.  Plus, my efficiencies had been dropping off by a few points.  Many grains appeared whole.  However, when I picked them up, I could crush the grains in my fingers.  I was thinking maybe the knurling on my grain mill rollers was starting to wear, meaning less of a gap between the rollers.  So slightly less crushed grain.  I decided to adjust the gap, just a little.  I first adjusted the setting on the side of the mill facing me.  Then I turned the mill around to adjust the off-side setting.  Some how the setting had moved 2 notches to 0.065" instead of 0.045".  This was the reason for my grain crush issue.  Set it back to 0.045 and off we go.  Brewhouse efficiency was up by 6% on what I had been getting lately.

Now a bad.  There has been a bit of chat on the forum about dry hopping in a pressure fermenter.  One option I had read a bit about is using a pair of magnets to suspend the dry hop sock above the wort inside the FV from day one.  I bought my magnets from a lhbs to make sure they were foodsafe.  I like to put a good number of stainless steel washers inside the hop sock to weigh it down.  Problem being, the washers just outdid the power of the magnets.  So when setting up this thing, the hop sock fell to the bottom of the FV.  Had to fish it out of the FV.  Had to find the tiny magnets.  Had to remove the washers.  I tried to be as sanitary as possible, but with only two hands it was impossible.  In the end, I managed to get the hop-sock-drop set up in the FV.  All seemed good.  The problem then became the hop sock dangling down so that it just touched the top of the wort.  So I am going to be partially dry hopping for the whole fermentation time.  Plus, at one point before pitching yeast, I was trying to raise the hop sock by moving the magnets further apart, when the tension on the hop sock exceeded the strength of the magnets, so one end of the sock dropped into the wort.  Again had to fish it out, breaking so many sanitation protocols.

The actual brew went quite well.  Slightly higher OG than predicted.  Also got an extra litre of wort (although that did not help with trying to keep the hop sock out of the wort).  Sparge was slow with all the Quick Oats, but did not get stuck.  I used plenty of rice hulls to help with sparging.  I do hope this turns out okay.  But I will not be doing the hop sock magnet thingy again.

Pretty full mash 

IMG_4579.JPG.29eeebf6b726f2f603ea5cc11f031212.JPG

Sparge tunes

IMG_4580.thumb.PNG.546a90cf0cbe7a32f6d8eb509b52518a.PNG

Transferring to the FV - Note sagging hop sock

IMG_4581.JPG.6087940699a0f712fd8e918ba507102d.JPG

Tucked into fermenting fridge

IMG_4582.thumb.JPG.74e1f81ac01426972a3c46b1f2512ab6.JPG

Mate it will turn out a nice beer

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz II said:

That’s the recipe I used, but I might have mucked it up. As I never did a hopstand before I chucked the hops in after the end of thee boil and let them steep, the hot temperature might have extracted too much bitterness.after a week it’s down to 1012 from OG 1045. I will check it tomorrow agaimage.thumb.jpg.101416b061ccdd7dd14bfdca41cf05bf.jpgin 

It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

I will keg mine in a few days. I brewed mine according to the BF recipe but used CCA yeast and because my PoR has a little less AA, I adjusted accordingly. I'm looking forward to that one but I need to finish the kit-APA keg first. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz II said:

I just took another reading, second day on 21 degrees and down to 1010. And I had a little taste test from the tube and then a sip of a freshly poured Coopers XPA, and it is actually notas bitter as the Coopers, so there is hope. 

• Like 3

Brewed a pacific ale type thingy. 
Pale ale kit, 500g DME, 300g pilsner malt, 300g flaked wheat, 300g dry oat malt extract , Galaxy Hops. Will pitch into a yeast cake of Bry97 that I kegged earlier today. 
First time using flaked wheat, and first go of the oat malt extract. Hoping for some hazy action 😉

IMG_5397.thumb.jpeg.f3cff1117f5246f20d3696d981e2dd79.jpegimage.thumb.jpg.a2f6c8bd5961123cb17004c6598a92db.jpg

• Like 10