Coopers Community

Beechworth Ale

BrewingBenny

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Bridge Road is one of the better, more consistent breweries in Australia.

I have tried a fair few of theirs beers and they have all been of high standard, except for the Single Hop Galaxy IPA. The bitterness was a bit harsh in that one but it still went own ok [biggrin]

I live about 1/2hr away from Beechworth and have yet to try it. I find it hard to pay $28 for half a d but I have been meaning to do a day starting at the Bright Brewery then onto Beechworth and finally to the Black dog brewery.

I live about 1/2hr away from Beechworth and have yet to try it. I find it hard to pay $28 for half a d but I have been meaning to do a day starting at the Bright Brewery then onto Beechworth and finally to the Black dog brewery.

What is "half a d"?

Is that a typo or is it something really cool I don't know about yet?

• 1 year later...

OK guys, digging up this old thread,

I tried one of the pale ales and bloody liked it, not to bitter hoppy, but lots of flavour/aroma hoppy.

I'm so new at this I have no idea how to clone it, any ideas fellas?

Cheers MM

I went to their brewery, as well as the one in Bright and it was fabulous. REALLY nice set up and great beers. It was sometime ago and I cannot remember what I drank but I had the tasting paddle.

Sorry, Mark I haven't tried it yet. I had a look at their website & they don't give much away about their beers.

It looks like it would be a bit of a challenge to clone it as they say they change the hops seasonally.

Have you thought of firing off an email to them to ask if they can divulge the hop varieties without giving away their commercial integrity?

Sorry' date=' Mark I haven't tried it yet. I had a look at their website & they don't give much away about their beers.

It looks like it would be a bit of a challenge to clone it as they say they change the hops seasonally.

Have you thought of firing off an email to them to ask if they can divulge the hop varieties without giving away their commercial integrity?[/quote']

I never would have thought of that as I would assume they would want to protect their recipe.

However worth a try, thanks for the different view on it!

BTW they had on a youtube vid that they used Australian US and NZ hops.

I made a rare visit to Dan Murphy's after work tonight to pick up a few brews that we don't sell at my bottleshop. Grabbed a couple of these among them. Have just finished drinking one. biggrin

My opinion of the beer is that it is very floral/slightly lemony in it's aroma & flavour. It definitely has a spiciness on the palate. Beer colour is a deepish straw, barely touching golden IMHO. The aroma is quite pronounced, & I admit I liked that most of all, as it means they put some real effort & hop quantities into that area of the beer.

Given the colour of the beer I wouldn't think a very dark specialty grain is used for the slight caramel taste of the malt. The quantity used would be interesting though. I'm thinking Caramalt or something similar well above 300gms. Just a guess though.

The hops used could come from any number of varieties given the wide scope of sources listed by the brewery. Of the hops I've brewed with that could possibly create these characteristics, I reckon a few of the following could well be in the mix.

The spiciness is possibly from Ella (AUS), or Chinook (USA).

The floral/lemony notes could be from a combination of Ella (AUS), Centennial (USA), Nelson Sauvin (NZ), Sorachi Ace (USA) & possibly Motueka (NZ) & Amarillo (USA).

Even if the hops I have picked out are the ones used in the commercial brew, getting them in the right quantities & points in the boil is another thing if wanting to re-create a clone.

Yeast appears to be American in origin.

Edit: On sampling the second bottle, I have an inkling that it is Danstar's WCA BRY-97! unsure

The brewery has been very 'tight lipped' about this recipe, & how it is put together, & I say good luck to them, & well done on a nice beer! cool

Back to the rest of this mixed 6 pack! Num Num! love

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hey Beerlust,

thanks for studying that and your thoughts, I'll have a crack next brew.

Which kit can would you use, or maybe cans of malt extract and do all the hopping from scratch. (I haven't done that before but happy to give it a go)

Cheers MM

I haven't had one for a little while but I could have sworn it had some Galaxy in it but that could have been an earlier season.

Mark, use the Pale Ale kit as a base. Perhaps:

1.7kg Australian Pale Ale kit

1kg Light Dry Malt

250-300g Dextrose

250-300g Light Crystal

Lusty mentioned it probably had more than 300g crystal but I would be wary of too much crystal in a kit/extract beer as these tend to finish a bit sweeter than a lower mashed AG beer.

Then experiment with some of the hops Lusty mentioned. Boil a small amount of Chinook for 10-15 minutes to increase the bitterness slightly and then add the other hops at flame out and dry hop.

Perhaps let us know what hops you end up with and we can be more specific with a hop schedule.

It won't be a clone but it will be tasty.

Edit: On sampling the second bottle' date=' I have an inkling that it is Danstar's WCA BRY-97![/quote']

Did it taste infected? lol

Lusty mentioned it probably had more than 300g crystal but I would be wary of too much crystal in a kit/extract beer as these tend to finish a bit sweeter than a lower mashed AG beer.

If using the grains on top of a kit I agree with Hairy as most kits have some portion of specialty grain as part of their makeup. If using a pure pale extract malt base' date=' I find moving beyond that 300gm mark almost a necessity for some brews if you want that caramel flavour to be more pronounced.

Edit: On sampling the second bottle' date=' I have an inkling that it is Danstar's WCA BRY-97![/quote']

Did it taste infected? lol

Haha! Good one Hairy! lol I was expecting it though! biggrin

I actually have had a successful brew with the BRY-97. The end beer wasn't particularly good though because of some old hops I used that went into it. The hop combo didn't work particularly well & the hops themselves had lost a large amount of their lustre. I've enjoyed the ongoing humour related to my BRY-97 failures, so haven't bothered to mention this one.

Good suggestion Hairy, if using a kit as the platform for building something approaching the Beechworth Pale Ale.

Cheers & good luck with your attempt(s) Mustang Mark. Let us know how you get on. wink

Anthony.

Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it.

Is there an issue with bry97 that I'm not aware of?

Ok some of this stuff I already had, and I got some more stuff today.

So what I have on hand is

1.7kg Aust pale ale, (I got this from dan the mans, I didn't know they sold coopers stuff)

many kg of light dry malt

1kg dry wheat malt

Many tins of coopers light malt extract

Plenty of dextrose

many packs of be1

many packs of be2

500g caramalt

500g crystal malt

centential

Nelson savin

saaz

amarillo

cascade

galaxy

chinook

I have plenty of US-05 on hand

1 bry-97 sachet

Cheers MM

Oooh I forgot, I got a controller for my single door fridge too.

Hey Lusty, Hairy and anyone else willing to lend a hand,

what do you think about this plan,

1.7kg Australian pale ale kit can

1Kg dry malt extract, or tin of 1.5kg coopers liquid malt extract???

300g derxtrose

250 gm of crystal malt 30 min steep?

rinse left over grain with 1 litre and boil for 15 min with 20gm?? of chinook

at flame out add 20g Amarillo???

Dry hop centenial. Nelson savin,amarillo gm??? what day??

I saw Ben 10 said bry 97 is on a sales hold right now, shall I use us 05 or throw both in??

I also have saaz cascade and galaxy in the freezer if these would suit.

Therein lies the real issue. A standard Pale type brew but the hops hey? That is where things become very difficult. This can only be resolved by brewing excessively and drinking more.

I suggest using a range of different hops to try and fill out the hop profile of your beer. Try using hops that have different characteristics' date=' ie Galaxy for big tropical fruit punch, Citra for citrus, centennial cascade for piney and simcoe for fat mid pallet. Even East kent goldings work well for that extra dimension. Getting the ratios right is the hard part, so I suggest perhaps adding one hop at a time to your current recipe each time you brew to measure the effect that hop has to your beer. Cheers ben

[/quote']

Check the above quote - not mine, was from Ben from Bridge Rd. See his hop suggestions there.

Trouble is without a hop schedule like Sierra Nevada give away it is all speculation, especially considering they state it changes every year.

Archived