Coopers Community

variety 10 pack

Hello all i have just started having a few of my variety 10 pack beers. Most of them i have had before eg the stellers the becks etc but this one beer. It was jappans Sopporo japans oldest running brewery it boasted all of this on the front label. Turn over to the back all the information it had on back was inported by Six Star Brewers in Mullgrave Vic.

And just above that in a crappy sort of stamp had Product of Canada thats it. I know alot of breweries own eachother and so forth and brew same recepies in diff countrys which is never the same. It just made me think why i love brewing so much and that i know whats going into it and where its from. Still love some comercial beers but with this ever changing world buying and selling eachother i really hope coopers follow their Australian and Family owned way of thinking after my belloved fosters sold out taking cascade with them u bastards!

And to be honest the beer tasted like shit sorry Canadian Eh if it is actually brewed there and u like it was quite confusing couldnt understand it.

You will probably find that Becks and Stella were brewed in Australia.

A lot of foreign beers are 'Brewed under Licence' here in Australia.

It may not taste exactly the same but at least it is fresh. But so is my homebrew. [wink]

Yeah i realise that alot of those beers are brewed here under licence now thats half my point its not exactly the same beer most of the time at same price though.

If the day comes that Louenbrau in brewed here under licence ill never drink another drop thats simply the best.

Sapporo (355ml bottles and 50l kegs) is now BUL by Coopers Brewery. [biggrin]

The process for getting the recipe right was very intensive - many samples of trial brews going to Japan for evaluation. We reckon we've got it just about right [wink]

i find it just unbeleivable that its happening so much now the only real difference would be the water? im sure u have ways to get it similar though. i would to try the beer again sober makin it my first one mustnt be too bad if coopers has shown interest. so i guess i got a canadian batch

On anything i buy from overseas i make sure it has an imported label on it and not a brewed in Australia (or anywhere else) under license by whoever label.

I make sure for instance Stella is actually from Belgium and not Melbourne.

Exactly thats what gets me though i love becks and stella and imported does shit all over whats made here. Still better than what we could brew witha kit but paying the same money as what imported costs. the more brews are made here under licence the less it will be available to import for a fair price.

I have no problem with BUL provided it is clearly stated on the bottle/can. You know what you are getting then and can make your own choice.

It also provides people with jobs here in Australia.

I'm sure some of the beer imported are not kept in the kindest conditions during transit. Not all are in refrigerated containers.

I have no problem with BUL provided it is clearly stated on the bottle/can. You know what you are getting then and can make your own choice.

It also provides people with jobs here in Australia.

I'm sure some of the beer imported are not kept in the kindest conditions during transit. Not all are in refrigerated containers.

I support alot of Australian brewerys but if i want imported beer i buy imported beer, i always look at the label on the back and f it says brewed in Australia under license then my decision is that it goes back on the shelf.

Australian brewed guiness for instance is crud, so i dont touch it, i was amazed the first time i tried it just how far off the mark the beer actually was. You can put a label on a bottle and call it anything you like but at least brew it to the original brewers specs.

Hey Jamie, just to pop your bubble a little but Lowenbrau was brewed buy Tooheys under licence back in the 70's and early 80's, so this is nothing new. As well a Guinness and Kilkenny all have had themselves brew by different breweries in this great brewing nation. Just to put your mind at ease a little Japan imports a lot of its malt from Austrilia. The Kirin brewery has a malting facility in Welshpool, Perth.....so what dose "Imported" really mean?

no worries jason i wasnt drinking it in the 70s and 80s only been drinking european beer since about 2001 so no worries no bubble to burst. I just dont think beer brewed under licence is the same although close when paying same price as when u get to hunt down an imported batch nothing can beat it

Jamie I think you really need to get over the fact of where a beer comes from. To give you an example back in 2002 my good lady and I went to Sea World San Diego, owned at the time by Anheuser-Busch , the brewers of Budweiser. They held a brewing/beer appreciation class..about half an hour and went on about the freshness of their Bud.

Best to be consumed within 110 days, as stated on their bottles. So the comparison was with a fresh bottle...very nice, and a bottle 6 months old...not so nice. The bitterness tasted higher and the colour had darkened.

Now I know I'm talking about Budweiser but any beer that has to cover the tyranny of distance to get to our shores in good condition in not that likely and any imported version of a beer that comes in to this country that is also brewed here is likely to be very close to it's used by date and worse still is in green bottles and been sitting on an open truck being exposed to sunlight and all the beer is then light struck. This light strike taste use to be more evident a decade ago when European beer was imported and in Australia we didn't have many beers that came in green bottles...so we didn't know what we were really tasting...only imported/premium (great marketing words). The key to good lager is quality ingredients and the freshness of the beer. After all the big imported name beers' are only domestic beers' in their homeland. I'd hate to think of Belgium's' complaining about the BUL "VB" if that were ever to exist.

The main thing is if it taste good and its fresh and it comes from a reputable brewer then its a good brew.

• 2 weeks later...

i remember when all this brewed under license stuff really took off. i had no idea that it was happening, but did notice that a lot of my favourite international beers got crap. in particular, kilkenny, becks and heinekin (not that it was ever a big favourite) all got crap.

it took me years to learn why...

My favourite European beer is Stella, I don't buy it often, but I have had both BUL and imported, to me the imported one tasted better, but I dunno whether that's just a psychological thing of knowing it came from the actual brewery or whether it is indeed better. It's a personal preference thing I guess.

Cheers,

Kelsey

Archived