Coopers Community

What are you drinking?

Biermoasta

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LEFTY!...No way mate' date=' if I was any further to the right I would be Tony Abbotts' right hand man!....[lol']

I picked that from another post, you want to get rid of that left handed putter then!

Trusty, sorry, I'm the guilty mollydooka[lol]

I was attempting to educate Weggl about the difference between a pewter mug & a putter, which Ross had attempted (unsuccessfully)

By the way there is nothing wrong with playing golf left-handed...if you look at it we are the ones who stand on the "right" side of the ball[cool]

Weggl, I didn't understand your post. The only glass in the photo is the windows of the car in the background[roll]

Having said that this thread has veered seriously off track. Lets get back to the topic[biggrin]

Couldn't wait any longer. Had to try my first stout made to Pauls toucan recipe. It's only been in the bottle 4 weeks. If it improves from this it will be absolutely brilliant in winter. Thanks Paul for the recipe.

1061506.jpg

Greg,

It improves remarkably. I couldnt believe that it could get any better but I had alot of people having ago at the homebrew until they tried it.

We ended up traveling back to my joint to drink the rest that was in the fridge.

Scott' date=' how was te EB with the Molasses? I've just made one with golden syrup, hope it turns out ok. [/quote']

I think it would rate as one of my fav brews [love] . I was hoping to lay some down but for a few months - but I drank them all. [devil] That said I have another batch in the FV now so... maybe this time. [biggrin]

Nice rich dark colour, lots of flavour very smooth. I'm struggling to define the taste - If you have every tried (an english beer) Theakstons 'Old Peculiar', reminds me of that.

Golden syrup - thats interesting, I imagine that is going to be quite sweet (?) Gold luck, would be interested to hear how it turns out.

scott, you really have to brew more beer.[devil] i'll tell you, i was a "brew one drink one" kinda' guy for the past 7 years of brewing until i got serious (went crazy[crying] ) about it this winter (14 brews since new year[smile] [sideways]) . the beer really needs some time.

it's hard to keep ahead of myself.[biggrin]

Yep, definately need a pipeline of beer going. Speaking of which I have 2 fermenters running full steam ahead to fill my latest bottle collection from a fellow homebrewer who has given up (15 milkcrates full of longnecks).

The only issue is all of them have old labels on them that I have to scrub off. Should be nice and happy when all the bottles are full.

I also have left myself a treat from 6 months ago, I brewed my second coopers beer (A Sparkling Ale) which was brilliant after 2 months and quickly disappeared, but I was clever enough to save one of them which I had conveniently placed in a 1.5 L Grolsch bottle which will be gone soon. I decided to save it for my daughters first birthday and I guess I will enjoy it with her company.

I've given up cleaning off labels but my old method was pretty easy. Just fill a plastic 60L garbage bin with bottles, some bleach and water and just leave them (days or weeks). Then just sit down with a scouring pad and give them a quick scrub and a rinse - then leave them to dry. Whatever residual glue that is left after the soaking phase will come of easily with the scourer (even a cloth will do). It'll take less than 30 mins (not including soaking of course).

Here is a pic of my Unreal Ale.

imgp1480o.jpg

Bottled 10 Feb so it is still a bit young. Schooner glass nicked from a pub in Byron Bay.

I think my next Unreal Ale will have a hop addition, maybe Fuggles or EK Golding to keep within an English style.

I've given up cleaning off labels but my old method was pretty easy. Just fill a plastic 60L garbage bin with bottles' date=' some bleach and water and just leave them (days or weeks). Then just sit down with a scouring pad and give them a quick scrub and a rinse - then leave them to dry. Whatever residual glue that is left after the soaking phase will come of easily with the scourer (even a cloth will do). It'll take less than 30 mins (not including soaking of course).[/quote']

Same way as I do it. I have also done 3/4 of the bottles so I am most of the way there but yes I will be very busy brewing the pipeline, that makes 32 milkcrates all up, so I will have a decent pipeline[biggrin]

I like the bottles Robbo. I purchased a couple of cases worth of them and have had trouble with them actually. My main problem is that some of them (1 or 2 out of every batch) doesn't seal properly.

Hopefully they just needed to be broken in.

Matty, I like the flip-top bottles too... and have had the same problem with the seals. I bottle into flip-tops and PET.

I have found that storing them upside down when carbonating helps. On my bottles, the air appears to escape through the top between the red silicone seal and the white stopper (not between the seal and the glass. My theory is that once that pressure has built up the seal does its job.

I have persisted with the flip-tops as I love the champagne style pop when opening. And they look more impressive than PET when taking brews around to a mates place.

I would be thinking that having them upside down would make the yeast stick to the top of the bottle.

Maybe I should just experiment with a few but I was hoping that it was that the o-ring wasnt in the correct shape yet and after the first run they might be ok.

..just a point of interest, when I go south to where I can buy longnecks, I usually get a box of Coopers stout longnecks, mainly for the bottles but it is good fun emptying them as well! I use one of the brew cans, stand the bottle in it and fill the bottle and tin with water to soak the label off, uses much less water and space.

Yeast does stick to the top of the bottle, that is why there is a cloudy appearance to my beer (well that's the story I'm sticking with!!!).

I reckon you could give each one a swirl and then store them right way up so the yeast will settle... I have been meaning to try that actually to increase the clarity of my brews.

I actually don't mind cloudy beer.

matty,

good score on the bottles. make sure the insides are clean don't worry about scrubbing the outsides. the labels will come off eventually[bandit]

I have to bottle scrubber out on every bottle. They are fairly old (I think some are over 10 years old) but they still look fairly reasonable.

Will be bottling my next Vintage Ale using Cascade hops into these bad boys.

Yeast does stick to the top of the bottle, that is why there is a cloudy appearance to my beer (well that's the story I'm sticking with!!!).

I reckon you could give each one a swirl and then store them right way up so the yeast will settle... I have been meaning to try that actually to increase the clarity of my brews.

I actually don't mind cloudy beer.

I will have to give it a look at with my next batch. I don't mind cloudy beers either, most people normally pour the last cm of beer down the sink when they pour. All of my beer goes into the glass.

Archived