Coopers Community

What are you drinking?

Biermoasta

Just finished drinking my first batch, the kit lager, and while it had some shortcomings, it was a pretty decent drop all the same.

Currently got a set of Pilsner maturing in the bottles, Used the Thomas Coopers Pilsner, a kilo of ldm, 15 grams of hops @ 45 min and another 15 @ 5 for flavour, made to 23 litres. Should be beautiful, the only disappointment is that I expected the OG to be higher than 1034, I'll try 1.5 kg of ldm next time.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah as hairy said.... also if you want to up the alcohol in that recipe I would drop the LDM to 750g and add 400-500g dextrose. You will get a bigger boost and wouldn't really lose too much from the reduced LDM.

Also you don't mention what hops you used but 15g @ 45 minutes to a pilsner kit [pinched] but the LDM may even it out a bit. Nevertheless, you make brews to your taste so as long as you like it then it is all good [cool]

Yeah as hairy said.... also if you want to up the alcohol in that recipe I would drop the LDM to 750g and add 400-500g dextrose. You will get a bigger boost and wouldn't really lose too much from the reduced LDM.

Also you don't mention what hops you used but 15g @ 45 minutes to a pilsner kit [pinched] but the LDM may even it out a bit. Nevertheless, you make brews to your taste so as long as you like it then it is all good [cool]

Hops were Saaz. I'm thinking my hydrometer tube is faulty if that reading is off, I had the same problem with my first brew, so got another hydrometer stick, but it seems it's still not reading right.

• 4 weeks later...

Just cracked my first bottle of Dead Guy Ale Clone that I did as a Partial Mash, Brew in a Bag on the kitchen stove.

It has only been in the bottle 13 days and is freeking awesome. Only did 10.5 litres (got 25x 375Ml only) but I am heading down the LHBS tomorrow to get the ingredients for another 23 litre brew. Using the calculator I have used it comes in at ABV 6.7% (OG 1.072 FG 1.021).

This little baby is the best beer I have ever made and tastes as good as the original which was my favorite while travelling in the US.

Hops were Saaz. I'm thinking my hydrometer tube is faulty if that reading is off, I had the same problem with my first brew, so got another hydrometer stick, but it seems it's still not reading right.

Well, I've started drinking some of these, and they are a vast improvement over my initial brew. Wonderful malty taste with a good amount of Saaz flavour.

It is a fair bit darker than I expected though, is this something anyone else has noticed with the TC Pilsner?

Archived