Coopers Community

Brewery Build

ben 10

23 minutes ago, do not consume said:

2 pac epoxy water based

Good to know.  I am planning a brewing studio when building costs come down a bit.  It will most likely have a yellowboard floating floor.  I am on a sloping block, so flat concrete is not so easy.  Just not sure what to finish the board with.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, do not consume said:

2 pac epoxy water based

I would have loved some coating on the slab of mine but ran out of time. I needed the garage to put a car in for a change. But my main issue is dust that gets blown in because there is no grass in the backyard. New turf will be laid next month, then the problem will hopefully go away. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, do not consume said:

Test water only run of the second hand Guten, seems fine. Plugged into a 15 amp outlet as that is what I have provisioned for the brewery

1398550858567385612.thumb.jpg.50805c2666b540b375509e2000f48fe0.jpg

No fancy bells and whistles on the Guten but it works fine. Just watch the malt tube as it bends easily. You can clearly see that mine isn't round anymore and when putting the bottom plate in, it creaks and squeals.

With the 15A socket, you can even use the full 2500W, although my sparky reckons it might still work full power on a 10A socket, despite being nominally over the max of 2400.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A few things.
Need a sink in the shed - or just outside-  hot water would be nice too.
The malt pipe is pretty heavy with 5 kgs of wet grain.

A decent sparge is needed with the Guten

Boil overs happen when you go to the post office.
Hops don't degrade as much as everyone thinks when stored well.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, do not consume said:

A few things.
Need a sink in the shed - or just outside-  hot water would be nice too.
The malt pipe is pretty heavy with 5 kgs of wet grain.

A decent sparge is needed with the Guten

Boil overs happen when you go to the post office.
Hops don't degrade as much as everyone thinks when stored well.

It's those things you only realise when you think you got it all. Nobody thinks of a sink until the day when they have an epiphany that a sink would be really handy 🙂 I have a fish-cleaning table with a little sink on it. works just fine. For hot water, I have a small kettle

I think your Guten sits fairly high up, so getting the malt pipe out is a little tricky. I had it sit on a wooden crate, just high enough to fit a cube underneath the tap. 

I usually mashed 25l and sparged with 8 for a 26l batch. That way, I could fill a cube without getting gunk into it. A little overkill but fairly clean.

Boilovers also happen when you go and get a cuppa and have a quick chat 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

It's those things you only realise when you think you got it all. Nobody thinks of a sink until the day when they have an epiphany that a sink would be really handy 🙂 I have a fish-cleaning table with a little sink on it. works just fine. For hot water, I have a small kettle

I think your Guten sits fairly high up, so getting the malt pipe out is a little tricky. I had it sit on a wooden crate, just high enough to fit a cube underneath the tap. 

I usually mashed 25l and sparged with 8 for a 26l batch. That way, I could fill a cube without getting gunk into it. A little overkill but fairly clean.

Boilovers also happen when you go and get a cuppa and have a quick chat 🙂 

I agree, that's why I have stuck to my laundry for brewing with the BrewZilla, it sits right where the laundry sink is & a double power point. At first it was temporary & I was moving everything to the kitchen but I have polished wood floors so tiles in the laundry are better.

When I remove & drain the malt pipe I can place it in the sink a few feet away & when it has cooled I place it in a 30l bucket & take it outside so the birds demolish the spent grain.

If I wanted I have power outside & also plenty of room for brewing but it is a lot more work to cart stuff back & forth & I would have to buy a sink.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Nobody thinks of a sink until the day when they have an epiphany that a sink would be really handy

I thought water would be handy - I have a solution though, i'll run drinking water hose along the fence and go from there.

I'll get an old laundry sink or something and just run to the ground

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2023 at 4:16 PM, do not consume said:

I thought water would be handy - I have a solution though, i'll run drinking water hose along the fence and go from there.

I'll get an old laundry sink or something and just run to the ground

Hey @do not consume, I have been watching your posts on your new brewery build and I have to say it's lookin' magnificent cobber, very nice work. 🥇 Then I saw this post about running a hose to use as water to your new setup and thought I'd share how I got around a similar problem.

Firstly, I'm not sure of your situation, but for me, about 25 years ago I had built an outdoor kitchen and wanted to get water to the area but my plumbing was run through the roof space when it was built (yeah I know ... 🤦‍♂️), so I simply fitted a tee to the outside tap and ran a 20mm PVC pipe from new leftover retic materials I had in a sallow trench, straight across the backyard up to a second hand sink I scored, ran a waste line to ground in a garden bed adjacent to the sink and BINGO ! - I have a permanent water outlet to a working outdoor kitchen sink. - Best thing I've ever done 🥳

I did fit an isolation tap at the beginning of the new line so I could shut it off in case I ever damaged the line and I also fitted a union just after the isolation tap so I could replace or maintain the isolation tap (not that I have ever had to in all these years).

About 3 years ago I fitted a whole of house (including outdoor taps) with a filtration and treatment system, so while I still use a garden hose to do all the coarse wash, rinse and fill duties on brew day (BTW, because I scrub and sanitise the end of my garden hose and its fitting at the beginning of each brew day, so I reckon I must have the cleanest garden hose fittings in the world 😂), and because my fermentation fridge and keezer now take pride of place in our outdoor kitchen/patio area, I do all my fine washing and final rinsing in this sink on brew day - works a treat and simply brilliant 👏

P.S. because the feed waterline to this outdoor tap is buried, it provides the first minute of run time with the coolest of water on a hot summer's day, beautiful 😉

P.P.S. that's calcium build up from my retic you can see on the outside of the tap connections - Thankfully, its what's inside that counts 😂🤣😂

outsidetap.thumb.jpg.cc352cb5e382295e26ff0a72ac73aea4.jpg

outsidesink.thumb.jpg.02e57691788d97481701eef13f589424.jpg

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Triple B Brewing said:

BINGO ! - I have a permanent water outlet to a working outdoor kitchen sink. - Best thing I've ever done 🥳

Mine's actually a similar idea apart from the trench, and the outside tap is unable to fitted with a tee.

I am still considering a trench though

• Like 1

3 hours ago, do not consume said:

Mine's actually a similar idea apart from the trench, and the outside tap is unable to fitted with a tee.

I am still considering a trench though

3 hours ago, do not consume said:

the outside tap is unable to fitted with a tee

Hmmmm now @do not consume, you are clearly a very capable guy, so I have no doubt that you will sort it, but ....

Screenshot2023-11-12231112.png.616b24e81c4db9c8072b876ef1a29030.png

Here's a material list and product links to Bunnings stock if that's helpful

·        1 X Dual Outlet Garden Tap (available in either male or female ends) $24.35

·        1 X Dual Outlet Garden Tap (available in either male or female ends) $24.35

·        1 X 15mm x 1/2" Female Iron Adaptor onto the bottom outlet $5.45

·        1 X 20mm Press PVC Barrel Union to the adaptor $9.95

Alternatively

Holman 2 Way Metal Tap Outlet ($24.89)

Here's cheers to plenty of ice cold beers eh 🍺🍺🍺🍺

Anyway, as I say, you are clearly a very capable person, so forgive me if I'm pokin' me nose in it too hard - good luck with it cobber 👍

• Like 4