Coopers Community

Kegging Question Pls help:-

tony1958

We have been bottle carbonating our beer therefore needing to wait a number of weeks before we can drink the beer.

We got that impression  we can Keg and CO2 the beer and drink immidetially it is brewed to save the weeks of bottle carbonating . Is this correct?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tony1958 said:

We have been bottle carbonating our beer therefore needing to wait a number of weeks before we can drink the beer.

We got that impression  we can Keg and CO2 the beer and drink immidetially it is brewed to save the weeks of bottle carbonating . Is this correct?

I am stickler   for set and forget   this method  usually takes 7 days before it is carbonated set at 12-14psi  @2°c

you can set your beer @ 40 psi for 24 hours then drop to serving psi  but you will need release the co2 down 

just remember   your beer is going to green if you look at  kegging  and doing a fast carb  and drink asap 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

I am stickler   for set and forget   this method  usually takes 7 days before it is carbonated set at 12-14psi  @2°c

you can set your beer @ 40 psi for 24 hours then drop to serving psi  but you will need release the co2 down 

just remember   your beer is going to green if you look at  kegging  and doing a fast carb  and drink asap 

I totally agree with @ozdevil on the set & forget method, when I first started kegging, I discovered the 24hour high carb method & yes it works but as also mentioned, the beer tastes a bit green but drinkable. The downside to that is you end up dealing with a lot of foam, I also noticed the foam if left in a pint glass or jug will slowly turn into beer but the overall taste, aroma suffers.

I am no kegging expert, but I have found starting off a 10-12psi & leave it for about a week & you have a good beer. It continues to improve over the coming weeks, but we all know what happens them 😬

One of my kegs were so over carbed I ended up ringing Keg Land & they told me to de-gas & disconnect the keg & leave it at room temperature for 24 hours using the PRL every hour.

Once it was all connected & back in the pouring line it had worked but most of the hop aroma & taste had disappeared so I will be sticking to the Set & Forget method from now on.

It obviously works for some fast carbing but you have to get it right.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, tony1958 said:

Kegged beer carbonates faster than bottle carbonation but it still takes a few days or more depending on how much pressure you set it to. Once you put CO2 into the keg it doesn't instantly carbonate the beer. The beer needs time to absorb the gas. If you drink kegged beer immediately upon connecting the CO2 it will pour but the beer will still be flat. Hence the above comments on set & forget.

• Like 4

To eliminate what i believe to be green taste  when I bottle carbonate  I find that I need to wait a month before opening my bottles.

Does kegging and set and forget for 7 days eliminate the green taste faster ?

4 hours ago, tony1958 said:

To eliminate what i believe to be green taste  when I bottle carbonate  I find that I need to wait a month before opening my bottles.

Does kegging and set and forget for 7 days eliminate the green taste faster ?

no it doesnt eliminate  the green taste   ,    you can drink straight away but if you dont like the green taste  use the set and forget  method kegging after the 1st week of carbing  pour a sample  , if its still green try again in a week or another couple of days  to get the feel of where the green taste is mellowing out.

just becuase you can fast carb straight after fermentation it doesnt eliminate the green beer taste

3 hours ago, ozdevil said:

no it doesnt eliminate  the green taste   ,    you can drink straight away but if you dont like the green taste  use the set and forget  method kegging after the 1st week of carbing  pour a sample  , if its still green try again in a week or another couple of days  to get the feel of where the green taste is mellowing out.

just becuase you can fast carb straight after fermentation it doesnt eliminate the green beer taste

Yes, I agree & I find after the first week it gets better each day usually peaking around week 3 or 4 but of course it depends on beers have been consumed until she blows.

8 hours ago, tony1958 said:

I find that I need to wait a month before opening my bottles.

When I was bottling, I found if you had given the recipe its best, they were good to go in 14 days, it depends of course on the type of beer, a Larger of course needs longer.

I even sneaked a taste at 11-12 days sometimes & they were fine but of course a few weeks is better.

I only use white sugar & they were always carbed up nicely.

7 minutes ago, Kegory said:

What is the difference between the young beer "green" taste and the can "twang?"

You could say they were the same, but I think the twang is referring to extract beer that is bottled, mostly you hear about AG brewers saying their beer is green due to the short time in the keg.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

You could say they were the same, but I think the twang is referring to extract beer that is bottled, mostly you hear about AG brewers saying their beer is green due to the short time in the keg.

So, do you get the same "twang" from a dried extract recipe as you do from a liquid extract recipe?

• 1 month later...

Hoping someone can help me out on this question 

I have the kegland mark4 regulator I serve at 13psi I know the pressure can be dialled up but can it be dialled down?

I want to put a keg on 20psi for 24hrs and disconnect the other 2 kegs while I do it after 24hrs purge the keg and put them all on 13psi

The reason I ask is because I watched a video from kegland and it said if you go high and want to go back down on psi you have to turn the gas off and expell all the air then reset it

Or have I missed something?

29 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

I have the kegland mark4 regulator I serve at 13psi I know the pressure can be dialled up but can it be dialled down?

I want to put a keg on 20psi for 24hrs and disconnect the other 2 kegs while I do it after 24hrs purge the keg and put them all on 13psi

The reason I ask is because I watched a video from kegland and it said if you go high and want to go back down on psi you have to turn the gas off and expell all the air then reset it

That's what you do,  turn the gas off, release the PRV, same with the new keg, turn the gas back on & use the dial to you reach psi.

At least that is what I do.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

Silly that you can't dial it down 

you should have a pressure release valve on your regulator? i just burp mine down by releasing some gas rather than purging it all. same with the keg

i do have a manifold setup though so i shut off the gas between the keg and the regulator before doing all of that.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Stickers said:

you should have a pressure release valve on your regulator? i just burp mine down by releasing some gas rather than purging it all. same with the keg

i do have a manifold setup though so i shut off the gas between the keg and the regulator before doing all of that.

So what your saying is I turn the gas off and burp it down to 13psi then turn the gas back on?

Wouldnt it go back to the last set pressure before you turned it off?

Edited by Back Brewing

Just now, Back Brewing said:

So what your saying is I turn the gas off and burp it down to 13psi then turn the gas back on?

i shut off the gas to the keg via the manifold.

i burp the regulator down by turning off the bottle and repeat a quick burp with a dialling down a few times until i bring the regulator down to the pressure i need, then turn the gas bottle on again.

then i do a mostly full release of the keg via the prv followed by a refill at the new pressure, then (try and) give it a few hours before pouring.

2 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

Your interpretation of Kegland's advice is spot on.  If your are fast carbing above serving pressure the best bet is:

1. Disconnect gas from keg
  2. Purge keg to where you guess is somewhere below serving pressure
  3. Turn off gas at the bottle
  4. Release regulator tap
  5. Purge regulator via PRV
  6. Turn gas bottle back on
  7. Adjust regulator tap to serving pressure
  8. Reconnect your gas lines to your kegs

I do not know why regulators are such that you cannot just turn them down.  It probably has something to do with their design and the high pressures involved.  You can do it like @Stickers, but it is a bit fiddly to turn down the regulator tap bit by bit, purging via PRV after each adjustment, until the pressure out is at your serving pressure.  With experience you could dial in the right position of the regulator tap pretty quickly.  However, you probably still waste more gas than by just purging it empty once and dialling it back up to the serving pressure. 

The other thing to comment on is about 20psi for 24 hours.  I do 40psi for 24 hours for a full keg.  In my experience, 20psi for 24 hours will not get great carbonation.  Although it might be fine for a Stout.

• Thanks 1