Coopers Community

ABV variation

ChrisOzz

Hi All, just to be absolutely sure, if I am brewing a larger for example, with a finishing ABV of approx 4.5% and wish to make it 3.5% is it as simple as reducing the malt/dextrose or whatever by 25%? Thanks in advance.

Technically, this is more of a recipe question than beer banter, but you'll get answers here anyway.

You'll get better answers than mine from more experienced people than me but, FWIW, if you change the recipe you change the beer. Reducing the amount of fermentables will reduce the ABV but it will also have other effects on the flavour and body of the beer.

26 minutes ago, ChrisOzz said:

Hi All, just to be absolutely sure, if I am brewing a larger for example, with a finishing ABV of approx 4.5% and wish to make it 3.5% is it as simple as reducing the malt/dextrose or whatever by 25%? Thanks in advance.

You have to take the content of the can into account as well. I'd say if you half your additional fermentables, you should be getting there.

2 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

You have to take the content of the can into account as well. I'd say if you half your additional fermentables, you should be getting there.

I agree, my brother makes the same recipe all of the time-CPA & only uses 1/2 a box of BE2 per recipe as not only does he prefer a lighter beer, but he is also a tighta****

I got him to take readings a couple of times & it is always around 2.7 - 3.2 ABV, he has never used any additional fermentables or hops & always uses the kit yeast.

Taste OK but he drinks more wine than beer.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ChrisOzz said:

is it as simple as reducing the malt/dextrose or whatever by 25%?

Hey CO and welcome to the Forum.

Not as simple, but close.  A can of Coopers Lager and 1 kg of fermentables done to 22 litres should come out around 4.5% ABV.  If you drop the fermentables to 0.5 kg, it should come out around 3.6%.

• Like 2

On 5/11/2023 at 8:21 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey CO and welcome to the Forum.

Not as simple, but close.  A can of Coopers Lager and 1 kg of fermentables done to 22 litres should come out around 4.5% ABV.  If you drop the fermentables to 0.5 kg, it should come out around 3.6%.

Correct.

Can with no fermentables 2.8%

500g dry fermentables 3.6%

1000g dry fermentables 4.5%

• Like 3