Coopers Community

Hop stand/dry hop lagers?

Aussiekraut

I usually keep my lagers rather simple, don't late hop with a hop stand or even dry hop them. Mainly because I see it as a waste of hops. A decent lager is kept in cold storage for ideally 6-12 weeks, which is when most hop aromas have disappeared, thanks to old mate hop fade. 

Now I am thinking about a little experiment, brewing a double batch of the same beer but cold fermenting one with a lager yeast and one warm fermenting with US-05 or something. The recipe I have in mind asks for a 20 minute hop stand. Since the purpose of the experiment would be to see the difference the yeast and fermentation process make to the final product. 

So, should I or should I not? Is it a pointless exercise to do the hop stand? I'm in two minds about it. Has anybody done this? What do you suggest?

Edited by Aussiekraut
  • Like 1

• Aussiekraut changed the title to Hop stand/dry hop lagers?

I’ve done it with a couple of IPL’s and they were great using the South German yeast and was drinking them after a week in the keg. I used the yeast cake I think and it fermented pretty quick especially that particular yeast. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

thanks to old mate hop fade. 

I think you will still be fine - think commercial hoppy beers... I don't think a lot of those are all that fresh - let alone cold stored - , some still taste quite good

• Like 3

Any beer experiment is worth it I reckon you can still drink the results. My impression was hop fade was alot slower in the keg if always kept cool. I found hop flavour is more blended in than disappeared at 3 months. 

Of course the amount used and style have factors that can change that. I think you're idea is worth a shot.

• Like 3

Newbie here, after a warm Brissy summer (avg 35ºC) the bottles I had in my spare room have all hop faded after 2-3 months, so I know now it is real and I concur with @Aussiekraut is the extra hops worth it? 🤔. The beer is still certainly drinkable so I will soldier on of course👍🏻

Kept in a cooler environment does the aroma last longer?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

I usually keep my lagers rather simple, don't late hop with a hop stand or even dry hop them. Mainly because I see it as a waste of hops. A decent lager is kept in cold storage for ideally 6-12 weeks, which is when most hop aromas have disappeared, thanks to old mate hop fade. 

Now I am thinking about a little experiment, brewing a double batch of the same beer but cold fermenting one with a lager yeast and one warm fermenting with US-05 or something. The recipe I have in mind asks for a 20 minute hop stand. Since the purpose of the experiment would be to see the difference the yeast and fermentation process make to the final product. 

So, should I or should I not? Is it a pointless exercise to do the hop stand? I'm in two minds about it. Has anybody done this? What do you suggest?

Samuel Adams Boston Lager has a dry hop.  The dry hop aroma was still there at the end of the keg.

If wanting to make 2 lager style brews, but wanting to get into one without the 6-12 weeks conditioning, I would do the US-05 cool as well.  Maybe try Nottingham as an option.  The brewing properties say it is okay down to 10°C.  Then do a pseudo diacetyl rest, cold crash, and you could be drinking it soon after kegging. 

• Like 2

Ok, so I'll keep the hop stand addition in the recipe.

I think I will brew the two batches at different dates though. I'll give the lager a four week head start, so they should be at a similar level, once the ale hits 2two weeks in the keg. That'll allow me to compare them whilst I still have enough of both. I decided to do the ale with Verdant as per the recipe and the lager with trusty old Dubbya. 

Now I just need to make sure I have enough Azacca for the first one on the weekend.

• Like 4