Coopers Community

Campden Tablets

Martkos

• 9 months later...

I picked up some Camden tablets today. Anyone used them recently?

What’s the ratio of grams per litre? (Unbranded plastic bag) Pack says 1 - 2 tabs per 5 Litres, but I was hoping for something a bit more specific.

Can you use too much, or even too little? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mackbrew said:

What’s the ratio of grams per litre? (Unbranded plastic bag) Pack says 1 - 2 tabs per 5 Litres, but I was hoping for something a bit more specific.

I do not know much about them, but on Youtube videos you see folks chucking 1 tablet into their mash water to neutralise chlorine.  1-2 tablets per 5 litres sounds too much.  Do they mean 5 gallons?  Or are they quite small tablets?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mackbrew said:

I have never used them but as far as I know they are used mainly for wine but you can look up heaps of info with how much to use etc.

Potassium Metabisulfite tablets for sterilising and inhibiting the growth of wild yeast and bacteria that can spoil wine. It is also commonly used to remove chlorine from water for brewing.

Used to remove chlorine and chloramine from the brewing water – Chlorine, a major component of bleach, is a common source of off-flavors in homebrewed beer. This compound contains chlorophenols, which can cause a bad medicinal taste to your beer.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mackbrew said:

I couldn't get Campden tablets, they were all sold out at my local suppliers, so I just use potassium metabisulphite (the active ingredient in Campden tablets).

The standard recommended dosage of Campden tablets is half a tablet, crushed, for 23L. One tablet = 440mg potassium (or sodium) metabisulphite. So, half a tablet = 220mg, or, roughly 10mg/L. I use about 10-11mg per litre.

From what I have read it is better to err on the higher side than the lower side, but not excessively. You can definitely use too much. I tried a beer that a guy from the homebrew club made where he added grams instead of milligrams and it was very salty. If you use too little you will fail to remove the chlorine/chloramine.

• Like 2