Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2023?

Shamus O'Sean

@Kegory I'm sorry I can not answer all of those questions.  I was happy with my partial mash kits with extra hops. 

The lagers were hit and miss depending on what flavour hops i used. Aging them definitely helped but the most I ever aged a keg was 3 1/2 months for a lager. 

It became smoother but I would definitely rather a newly kegged all grain over an aged kit beer.

The taste of kit twang? If you don't notice it then don't worry I definitely can.

While trying to use up my kits I now mask the twang by adding fruit in the keg. Prefer 1kg frozen raspberry in a grain bag for 2 days.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@Kegory I'm sorry I can not answer all of those questions.  I was happy with my partial mash kits with extra hops. 

The lagers were hit and miss depending on what flavour hops i used. Aging them definitely helped but the most I ever aged a keg was 3 1/2 months for a lager. 

It became smoother but I would definitely rather a newly kegged all grain over an aged kit beer.

The taste of kit twang? If you don't notice it then don't worry I definitely can.

While trying to use up my kits I now mask the twang by adding fruit in the keg. Prefer 1kg frozen raspberry in a grain bag for 2 days.

Mate, after a half a dozen brews with chlormamine twang whatever a "kit twang" actually tastes like it'll still be like a breath of fresh air.

I decided to do a quick k & k with some of the money I got from the sale of my Grolsch bottles, I was in Woolworths anyway so BigW is next door;

Coopers Real Ale

BE2

LDM x 500gm

Carapils steep x 200gm 30mins

1 x tsp Yeast Nutrient

2 x Coopers kit yeast

Pitch 24c

SG 1.040

I will late hop with 50gms POR 4 days before kegging.

20230803_114812.jpg

• Like 7

This fine mesh colander is great for steeping grain, not a bit got through, it was on the clearance table reduced from $9.95 to $2.00.

20230803_122032.thumb.jpg.6012af90860c08f88b3b9b1abe673672.jpg

I also used the hot steep liquid for rinsing the can of extract which meant I didn't have to add extra hot water to the FV.

20230803_122740.thumb.jpg.24a5b56ff58f78b6cb662f3de247fea0.jpg

I achieved my target pitching temperature & the brew is in the brewing fride set @20c.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I decided to do a quick k & k with some of the money I got from the sale of my Grolsch bottles, I was in Woolworths anyway so BigW is next door;

Coopers Real Ale

BE2

LDM x 500gm

Carapils steep x 200gm 30mins

1 x tsp Yeast Nutrient

2 x Coopers kit yeast

Pitch 24c

SG 1.040

I will late hop with 50gms POR 4 days before kegging.

20230803_114812.jpg

Why did you decide to add the yeast nutrient, Phil?

Or, more generally, how/when do you determine that you need to add yeast nutrient?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I also used the hot steep liquid for rinsing the can of extract which meant I didn't have to add extra hot water to the FV.

That's an interesting technique. How did you do it? Did you just pour it carefully from the pot or did you use something else to transfer it?

• Like 1

Just now, Kegory said:

Why did you decide to add the yeast nutrient, Phil?

Or, more generally, how/when do you determine that you need to add yeast nutrient?

I have been using it for many years in all of my brews, it is not absolutely necessary, but it works for me as well as AG brews.

There are many topics on the subject, here is one of them.

https://homebrewanswers.com/yeast-nutrient-use/

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Kegory said:

That's an interesting technique. How did you do it? Did you just pour it carefully from the pot or did you use something else to transfer it?

If you look at the photos you will see I used a fine mesh colander, I poured the liquid into a sanitised jug & simply poured it into the Coopers can & rinsed it out, it served two purposes, nice clean can & I didn't need to add ant hot water to the FV.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

If you look at the photos you will see I used a fine mesh colander, I poured the liquid into a sanitised jug & simply poured it into the Coopers can & rinsed it out, it served two purposes, nice clean can & I didn't need to add ant hot water to the FV.

Yeah, I saw the colander. I was wondering if you used a jug or it was just a straight pour. Cheers.

15 minutes ago, Back Brewing said:

I put a stout down 10 days ago

1 can Irish Stout, 2 kilo's of LDME, 300g Dextrose

OG 1060, now reading 1020 for 2 days would this be finished?

I would test it for the next 2 days, if it's still 1.020 you are good to go.

It's probably unlikely to go down any further.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

What yeast did you use and how much?

I would expect it to come down more than that with Nottingham yeast. Stouts do finish higher but with those fermentables would expect a bit more ABV and attenuation.

In saying that 10 days should be plenty to finish it depending on the age of yeast and ingredients.

• Like 1

I would think that it would be lower than that. With the ingredients you used the Ian H spreadsheet suggests an OG of 1.063 and a FG of 1,014. What temperature has the ferment been at?

• Like 2

What temperature did you ferment it at? Could you raise the temperature a degree or two and cautiously (not vigorously) give the FV a bit of a swirl, or maybe a gentle rock from side to side?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kegory said:

What temperature did you ferment it at? Could you raise the temperature a degree or two and cautiously (not vigorously) give the FV a bit of a swirl, or maybe a gentle rock from side to side?

Remember what happened last time I did that 🤣🤣

• Like 1