Coopers Community

Improving with age.

Mattshout

Seasons greetings brew gang. 

Still very new to this game. I just sampled my first bottle of Saison. I found it quite uninspiring. Low on flavour. It was about 10 days in the bottle. I don't intend to open another until they spend at least a month in the cupboard. 

It's there a guide for this? Does it very much between beer styles? I've just bottled some Bavarian Pearl. I'm thinking a month for that as well.

Cheers and Merry Christmas,

Matt.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mattshout said:

Still very new to this game. I just sampled my first bottle of Saison. I found it quite uninspiring. Low on flavour. It was about 10 days in the bottle. I don't intend to open another until they spend at least a month in the cupboard. 

It's there a guide for this? Does it very much between beer styles? I've just bottled some Bavarian Pearl. I'm thinking a month for that as well.

Matt.

Hi mate merry Christmas to you as well.

Can you elaborate on the recipe?

Unfortunately  no recipe to go off but  having said that

I will always try a batch from scratch  even before sparging (you don't sparge when doing extracts or fwk's)

I have done this ever since brewing.

Wasting 1 beer to being green   is not that bad  

So you have tried open a week later  see if you can pick the changes

And do that until you think yeah that ain't great.

But the best thing you can do is take notes  as you go.  Just don't write it off yet

You will get sink pours in ya journey.

However tell us ya recipe  it maybe just a simple addition to make it better

2 hours ago, Mattshout said:

Matt.

I agree with the others, an early taster is a good way to check carbonation & of course the progress of your brew. IMO 10 days is a little early, I wait for 14 & then take it from there, of course more time will result in a better taste, carbonation & head retention. It's up to you how long you want to age it. 

A lot of us on here would start drinking the beer when we deem fit, others prefer to age it further. It really depends on the type of beer & of course there is the hop fade factor to consider.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RDT2 said:

Hi mate merry Christmas to you as well.

Can you elaborate on the recipe?

Coopers Into the Dark Saison. I got the time wrong on the first open bottle. It is over two weeks in the bottle. Probably 16 days actually. It's a very dark beer. Practically stout in colour. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mattshout said:

I found it quite uninspiring. Low on flavour.

This one? I'm not surprised it is low on flavour

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 x 1.3kg Mr Beer Golden Ale
  • 1 x 250g Mr Beer Unhopped Malt Extract - Robust
  • 1 x 100g Carafa III Malt
  • 1 x 11.5g Safale BE-134 Dry Yeast
  • 1 x 72g Mr Beer Carbonation Drops
  • Like 2