Coopers Community

Flaked Rice, to mill or not to mill, that is the question

Shamus O'Sean

Sorry I can't answer that I started using FWK and just put down a japaneese rice lager today. I was doing a lot of research into this myself when was planning to buy a brewzilla.

I found some information that people did and then others did not. Everyone argued their method was best or just worked for them. 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

G'day Shamus, i've only cereal mashed rice, not used flaked rice, but it looks physically similar to flaked wheat and quick oats that I use a quite often. Flat and round. I know they won't all sit like that in the malt pipe, but I always throw my flaked additions through the mill to bust up the flat shape a bit. I feel it can't hurt them and must help with recirculation and sparge. Big hand fulls of rice hulls too!

I was surprised you didn't pick up the flavour of the rice in your previous lager; I did one last year with 1kg plain white rice and 500g Jasmine, 2.3kg J/W Pilsner, 300g Coopers ale malt, acidulated and cara pils for OG 1042 to 1008, 4.6%. More rice % than you but the jasmine was there for sure, also picked up by foodie/beer waaanker friends that hadn't seen the recipe. We really enjoyed that beer.

Enjoy your brew day whatever you decide.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

As the topic suggests: Do I need to, or even should I, mill Flaked Rice?

I am planning another Rice Lager this weekend except this one will be with Flaked Rice instead of plain rice that has to be cereal mashed.

For those who were playing along at home, and wondered what the answer was: No, do not mill Flaked Rice with your malt grains.

Within a second the mill stopped dragging grain through.  The Flakes Rice is oval shaped, fairly hard and smooth surfaced.  I think what happened is flakes from opposite sides of the hopper interlocked and stopped grain falling into the rollers.

Ever tried to separate 3.77kg of Pilsner from 1.5kg of Rice Flakes.  Luckily I did not have to.  In the end I emptied the hopper and started again, but only fed the mixture through in less than a handful each time.  The small amount bounced a round a bit and that mostly kept it pulling through the rollers.  Even then, about every 4th handful stalled and I had to give the hopper a shake to get it moving again. 

On top of the hassle, the Flaked Rice looked like it had not broken up much at all.  So, all in all, not worth it.

Nevertheless, thanks for your feedback @Uhtred Of Beddanburg, @kmar92 and @Nannaspeed.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, kmar92 said:

What yeast do you have planned for your rice lager?

Hi Kmar92, I plan to use White Labs WLP802 Czech Budejovice Lager.  I also used it for the previous Rice Lager. It might not be the most ideal for a Rice Lager, but it was what I had.  I also had to use it before it fell out of date.

I made an overbuilt starter for the first one and harvested some of the nice clean starter for this latest brew.  I did the same for this second brew too.  The 2nd overbuilt starter is waiting to be separated, part for the brew and part for storing in the fridge for the next lager. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@Shamus O'Sean so people who mill it most definitely mill it seperate and use different settings on mill? I can't wait to try my FWK Japanese Lager now it is warming up. 

Usually the reason for milling grain is to break the husks of the grain so that the mash water can access the starches in the grain. With flaked rice the rice kernel has been crushed so the starches are already available to the mash water.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

Usually the reason for milling grain is to break the husks of the grain so that the mash water can access the starches in the grain. With flaked rice the rice kernel has been crushed so the starches are already available to the mash water.

I would be lying if I said I understood why it being crushed meant it could convert starches. I was in the process of researching all this when I was planning to go all grain. 

Then when electricity and everything went up I realised the FWK for $45 or $50 were good value. It also saves the time involved.

I'm still planning to get a brewzilla when have the upfront money and space to put everything. I do appreciate you're input though I can't wait to craft my own recepies from scratch.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, beach_life said:

I wouldn't worry about it buit I'd run it through the mill with the other grains just cos I would

Thanks BL.  If you read on, you will see that I tried (most unsuccessfully).  Although I did make it work.  Maybe the Flaked Rice, on its own could be milled, to break it up a bit.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Marty_G said:

@Shamus O'SeanHope you didn't mill it? If you did and you had a large percentage I would think a stuck mash would be on the cards.  Usually anything that is flacked like corn, rice, oats, wheat is not milled.  

I assume you have finished it by now so how did it go. 

I milled it Marty.  My outcome is here .  Not a great idea.  I will know next time.

• Like 1