Coopers Community

Cooper's Light Dry Malt vs Cooper's Brew Enhancer #2

JimInCollie

I am about to brew Thomas Cooper's Brew A IPA  and I note that, on the can, it says "Recommended to be brewed with 1.5kg Cooper's Light Dry Malt".

I don't have any Cooper's Light Dry Malt in stock, but I do have quite a lot of Cooper's Brew Enhancer #2.  Would it be OK to substitute the Cooper's Light Dry Malt with Cooper's Brew Enhancer #2 this time round?  I will get some Cooper's Light Dry Malt next time I go to my brew shop to use with the other cans I have in the Thomas Cooper range (I'm working my way through them), but I would like to get this one fermenting this weekend, if possible.

Many thanks, Jim

PS: How do I sign off with my username: JimInCollie (other than typing it in)?

Edited by JimInCollie
Correcting a typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JimInCollie said:

I am about to brew Thomas Cooper's Brew A IPA  and I note that, on the can, it says "Recommended to be brewed with 1.5kg Cooper's Light Dry Malt".

I don't have any Cooper's Light Dry Malt in stock, but I do have quite a lot of Cooper's Brew Enhancer #2.  Would it be OK to substitute the Cooper's Light Dry Malt with Cooper's Brew Enhancer #2 this time round?  I will get some Cooper's Light Dry Malt next time I go to my brew shop to use with the other cans I have in the Thomas Cooper range (I'm working my way through them), but I would like to get this one fermenting this weekend, if possible.

Many thanks, Jim

Hey Jim,

yes it would be fine to use the BE2 as a substitute, just know that your beer will have less malt flavour and be a bit lighter in body. From memory BE2 only has about 250g of dried malt in it.

To sign off with your full name you can type the @ sign and start typing your name. Your name will appear from a drop down list and just click on @JimInCollie

• Like 2

Just re post this.

Coopers Dextrose

100% dextrose (1kg)

Coopers Brewing Sugar

80% dextrose, 20% maltodextrin (800g/200g)

Coopers Brew Enhancer 1

60% dextrose, 40% maltodextrin (600g/400g)

Coopers Brew Enhancer 2

50% dextrose, 25% maltodextrin, 25% light dry malt (500g/250g/250g)

Coopers Brew Enhancer 3

50% Light Dry Malt, 30% Dextrose, 20% Maltodextrin (500g/300g/200g)

• Like 2

My experience with both has been successful however as this video points out there is a difference in the colour. Also, the article explains the difference in the water content.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=coopers+liquid+malt+extract+vs+coopers+dried+malt+extract&docid=603523495868840902&mid=DC7988ADEEC7764D6921DC7988ADEEC7764D6921&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Liquid Malt Extract vs Dry Malt Extract  Midwest Supplies

On 11/26/2022 at 5:56 PM, JimInCollie said:

Many thanks, Jim

Of course you can substitute the DME with BE2. The question is though, should you? There is a reason why Coopers recommends going down the DME path and not suggesting to use other ingredients like BEs. You would basically be adding 500g of DME instead of 1,500g but you'd add 750g of dextrose, making a much thinner beer with less body but a slightly higher alcohol. You will get beer but a beer that doesn't taste anything like what it is intended to. I'd use the BE with something else and wait with the Brew A until you have the DME. LME is better as @Classic Brewing Copointed out but you'd need a bit more in order to make up the difference. 1.2kg of DME is roughly equivalent to 1.5kg LME.

• Like 4