Coopers Community

Glass stubby bottles

Do any of you know of a source of cheap glass stubby bottles, 330ml or 375ml or thereabouts?

I both keg and bottle my beer. At home I prefer beer off the taps of my keezer. When I do drink stubbies, e.g. take them to a BBQ party at a friend's house; I rinse them and bring them home again, but when I give family and friends beer as gift, in the form of stubbies, I don't always get the bottles back - sometimes from family members; almost never from friends, acquaintances or strangers. So, my supply of washed and sanitised stubby bottles has dwindled over time and it all adds to the expense if one has to buy new ones, let alone, Heaven forbid, buy a carton of commercial beer just to end up with the empties for my next bottling.

I label my bottles, so cleanskins are best. I don't like PET bottles.

I thought it might be worth asking as most of you have been brewing a lot longer than I have and I would be interested in hearing how  you keep up with your supply of bottles.

Many thanks

Jim

Keezer 011.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JimInCollie said:

Do any of you know of a source of cheap glass stubby bottles, 330ml or 375ml or thereabouts?

I both keg and bottle my beer. At home I prefer beer off the taps of my keezer. When I do drink stubbies, e.g. take them to a BBQ party at a friend's house; I rinse them and bring them home again, but when I give family and friends beer as gift, in the form of stubbies, I don't always get the bottles back - sometimes from family members; almost never from friends, acquaintances or strangers. So, my supply of washed and sanitised stubby bottles has dwindled over time and it all adds to the expense if one has to buy new ones, let alone, Heaven forbid, buy a carton of commercial beer just to end up with the empties for my next bottling.

I thought it might be worth asking as most of you have been brewing a lot longer than I have and I would be interested in hearing how  you keep up with your supply of bottles.

Many thanks

Jim

Keezer 011.jpg

Hi Jim,

The most obvious answer is Gumtree as here in Adelaide at least they are always on offer. You probably already know you can get them from most LBHS.

Another idea is if you are friendly with your neighbors you could ask around & find out who chuck their bottles, I have found this to be an advantage over the years.

Good Luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hi Jim,

The most obvious answer is Gumtree as here in Adelaide at least they are always on offer. You probably already know you can get them from most LBHS.

Thanks. I will check out Gumtree. Forgive my ignorance, but what is "LBHS"? I looked up acronyms on Google and got: "Lord Beaverbrook High School".

Thanks again, Jim.

2 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

There are lots of abbreviations used on this forum, some are useful & time saving, others are silly. There are a few list's around, I will post one for you.

Here's a few

AA - alpha acid. refers to the alpha acid content (bittering properties) of any given hop.
AAU - alpha acid units (hops alpha percent * hops weight oz)
ABV - alcohol by volume.(percentage of alcohol in any alcoholic beverage).
ADME - amber dry malt extract
ALME - amber liquid malt extract
AG - all grain

AME - amber malt extract
APA - American pale ale/ Australian pale ale
BBDTM - Brew Beerymore drinks too much
BE - brew enhancer
BIAB - brew in a bag(mashing grains in a muslin bag or paint straining bag)
BJCP - beer judge certification programme
B30 - beer:30 (it's like beer limbo. when you really want a beer in your hand, but for some reason you can't just yet.half past beer o'clock.)
BU:GU - bitterness units to grist units ratio
CC - cold crash/condition
CO2 - carbon dioxide
DDME - dark dry malt extract
DLME - dark liquid malt extract
DME - dry malt extract
DWB - drunk while brewing (cheers ninja)
EBC - European brewers convention (colour scale)
EKG - east kent goldings (hop variety)
FG - final gravity
FV - fermentation vessel
HBW - Home Brew Wednesday weekly youtube homebrewers videos
HERMS - heat exchanged recirculating mash system
HLT - hot liquor tank
HDPE - high-density polyethylene, food grade plastic (hot and cold)
IBU - international bittering unit, sometimes referred to as EBU (bitterness level of beer)
IPA - india pale ale
LDME - light dry malt extract
LHBS - local home brew store/shop
LLME - light liquid malt extract
LME - liquid malt extract
LLME - light liquid malt extract
NB - northern brewer (hop variety)
OG - original gravity
PET - polyethylene terephthalate, food grade plastic, cold only.
POR - pride of Ringwood (hop variety)
PSI - pounds per square inch
PSR - pink stain remover
RDWHAHB - relax, don't worry. have a home brew!
RIMS - recirculating infusion mash system
RO - reverse osmosis (water purification)
SG - specific gravity (dissolved sugar level)
SMaSH - single malt and single hop
SRM - American standard reference method (colour scale)
TT - thirsty Thursday . weekly youtube homebrewer videos

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 1

AA -  Alpha acids: A chemical compound found in the resin glands of hops that determines the bitterness of a beer. 
AAU - Alpha Acid Units: A measurement of the potential bitterness of hops.
ABV - Alcohol by Volume: The standard measure of alcohol in a given volume of liquid. Mathematically it is the number of millilitres (mL) of pure ethanol in in 100 mL of solution at 20 ºC. 
ABW - Alcohol by Weight: The measure of the amount of alcohol in a liquid expressed as the of percentage of total weight. 
AG - All Grain: A term to describe homebrewers who brew their beers from grain instead of extracts. 

BE1 - Cooper's brew enhancer (60/40 dextrose and maltodextrin [corn syrup])
BE2 - As above (but 50/25/25 Dex, LDM and maltodextrin)
BE3 -  As above  (but 50/25/25 LDM, Dex & maltodextrin)
BIAB - Brew In A Bag: An all grain brewing method that involves minimal equipment and cost compared to traditional all grain brewing. 
BJCP - Beer Judge Certification Program: A non-profit organization formed in 1985 that certifies and ranks beer judges. 
BTU - British Thermal Unit: A traditional unit of heat that is the amount of heat required to increase the temperature of 1 pound of water by 1 degree Fahrenheit. 

CFC - Counterflow Chiller: A devise used to cool boiled wort quickly with less water than emersion chillers. 
CO2 - Carbon Dioxide: An colourless gas with about 60% of the density of oxygen. A byproduct of fermentation in the brewing process.

Dex - Dextrose
DE - Diastatic Enzyme: The enzyme in grains that converts starch to sugar.
DH - Dry Hopping.  Also refers to social media acronym texters.
DME - Dry Malt Extract: Concentrated wort that is dried to form a crystallized powder. Used in the creation of yeast starters. 

EBC - Eurpoean Brewing Convention: A method of measuring the colours of malts and beers developed in Europe.
EKG - East Kent Goldings; a popular British hop
ESB - English Special Bitter; A beer style and Coopers kit

FG - Final Gravity: The specific gravity of a beer once fermentation has completed. FG & OG (original gravity) is used to determine the ABV & ABW of a beer.
FV - Fermentation Vessel otherwise known as your tub or bucket, wot you brew your beer in

HCF - Hop Concentration Factor

IBU - International Bittering Unit: A measure of the bitterness in a beer. Most beers measure between 5 (very low bitterness) & 120 (very high bitterness) IBU's.

K&K - Kit and Kilo ; Refers to a tin of extract and a kilo of sugar - basic extract brewing

L (*L) - Degree Lovibond: A scale for measuring the colour of beer developed by Joseph Lovibond in the 1860's.
LDM - Light Dry Malt
LHBS - Local Home Brew Shop
LME - Liquid Malt Extract: Concentrated wort in the form of a thick syrup.

MCU- malt colour units
MT - Mash Tun: A vessel used for mashing (combining malts and water, and heating) during the brewing process. 

OG - Original Gravity: The specific gravity of unfermented wort. FG & OG (original gravity) is used to determine the ABV & ABW of a beer.
OS - Original Series

pH - Potential Hydrogen: A measure of acidity.
PET - PolyEthylene Terephthalate: A type of plastic used for bottles.
PBW - Powdered Brewery Wash: A brewing equipment cleaner patented and originally developed for Coors. Is stainless steel and environmentally safe. 
POR - Pride of Ringwood;  A classic Australian bittering hop

SRM - Standard Reference Method: A system brewers use to specify beer colours.

TCS - Thomas Cooper Series

1 hour ago, JimInCollie said:

Many thanks

Jim

Keezer 011.jpg

Mate, I have about 3-400 stubbies I am trying to get rid of, free to good home. Strictly pickup only of course and I think this is where the problems may start 🙂 Brisbane south side here 🙂 

6 hours ago, JimInCollie said:

Pure gifts are a bit different.  But if I am handling over a slab of bottles, my motto is; if the empties don't come back, you get no more free beer.  I do not mind too much if they are not clean because I will be cleaning them myself anyway.  My regulars mostly rinse before returning though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Pure gifts are a bit different.  But if I am handling over a slab of bottles, my motto is; if the empties don't come back, you get no more free beer.  I do not mind too much if they are not clean because I will be cleaning them myself anyway.  My regulars mostly rinse before returning though.

Yes strangely only a few mates ever return the empties & even when they do some don't even rinse them. I have plenty of PET & Coopers L/N but I won't hand out any Grolsch of Hefe bottles.

• Haha 1

On 5/12/2022 at 11:00 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Yep, same here.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/12/2022 at 8:12 PM, oldbloke said:

Yep, I must have over 450. A great stubbie.  Plus coopers long necks.

BTW. I have been using the bunderberg stubbies about 3 years now and yet to have one fail. 

• Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 3:23 PM, Classic Brewing Co said:

There are lots of abbreviations used on this forum, some are useful & time saving, others are silly. There is a few list's around, I will post one for you.

Awesome - thank you very much.  I'll print it out and stick it on the wall behind/above my computer screen

Tx, Jim

• Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 3:39 PM, Aussiekraut said:

Mate, I have about 3-400 stubbies I am trying to get rid of, free to good home. Strictly pickup only of course and I think this is where the problems may start 🙂 Brisbane south side here 🙂 

"Strictly pickup only of course and I think this is where the problems may start 🙂 Brisbane south side here 🙂" I agree! Thanks for the offer, but as I am in Western Australia, country WA at that, picking up is a major challenge for me.  Thanks for the offer, anyway.

Jim

• Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 9:00 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

"if the empties don't come back, you get no more free beer" - brilliant! That will be my policy too from now on. Thanks Shamus

Cheers, Jim

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, oldbloke said:

BTW. I have been using the bunderberg stubbies about 3 years now and yet to have one fail. 

Yes, I agree. I have had beer from friends in Bundaberg stubby bottles and they are fine. the only problem for me is that the de-labelled bottle still has the embossed "Bundaberg" on it, and many of the big brand names bottles are the same. I prefer cleanskin bottles so that my own label is the only brand on them.

Thanks, Jim

• Like 1