Coopers Community

Got some free extract what yeast to use ??

SimonWA

Hi brewers ,
Ive been gifted some coopers extracts . There out of date . Will they still be good to use with some fresh yeast ?? :)

What yeast should i use with them ?

Im using a plastic coopers fv with no temp control if that makes a difference . And generally leave a brew fermenting for 7 days before bottling . 

Cheers !! 

received_3310850625868735.jpeg

11 minutes ago, SimonWA said:

Hi brewers ,
Ive been gifted some coopers extracts . There out of date . Will they still be good to use with some fresh yeast ?? 🙂

What yeast should i use with them ?

Im using a plastic coopers fv with no temp control if that makes a difference . And generally leave a brew fermenting for 7 days before bottling . 

Cheers !! 

Hi Simon,

First you are in luck they are all Ales - all can be fermented ideally around 22c, next we need to know the age of each tin, it's on the bottom.

If the Best Before date is any more than 3 months old, chuck the yeast. Different folk have different ideas how old is too old, personally I would not attempt to make any brew with a can that is over 6 months old.

As you were gifted them & you find out they are much older you have nothing to lose.

Turn the cans over & take a photo then it will be clearer to attempt to offer you any advice.

Edited by Classic Brewing Co

17 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hi Simon,

First you are in luck they are all Ales - all can be fermented ideally around 22c, next we need to know the age of each tin, it's on the bottom.

If the Best Before date is any more than 3 months old, chuck the yeast. Different folk have different ideas how old is too old, personally I would not attempt to make any brew with a can that is over 6 months old.

As you were gifted them & you find out they are much older you have nothing to lose.

Turn the cans over & take a photo then it will be clearer to attempt to offer you any advice.

I should have added different yeasts react differently with different beer types but that comes down to the actual recipe you are trying to create/follow.

@SimonWA They're all ales so get some ale yeast for them. I'd probably try harvesting some Coopers commercial ale yeast from some Coopers stubbies. It's a good value approach to take. You get to drink some nice beers and you don't have to buy any yeast.
If you're not familiar with the process here's a video:
https://www.diybeer.com/au/brewing-support#video=Sw2Cu-BdqdA

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hi Simon,

Few years old but cans are intact no rust 

Screenshot_20220429-195803_Messenger.jpg

I would imagine that the contents are OK, of course the supplied yeast would be gone and just chuck it. Over time the contents will darken due to maillard reactions, but if the can is intact with no rust it should be able to be used.

Just try it.

On 4/30/2022 at 6:27 AM, Classic Brewing Co said:

I will go with @interceptoron this.

Why waste your time - would you drink 4 year old coffee, use flour, canned fruit, jam etc, all things have a shelf life.

I concur.

I made an out of date once. Once.

Never again. It got chucked.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Graculus said:

I concur.

I made an out of date once. Once.

Never again. It got chucked.

You have only have to watch the Coopers DIY Beer videos & it is clearly shown checking the Best Before dates on the can, some people seem to thin everything lasts for ever !!

• Like 1