Coopers Community

Sediment forming on bottom of the FV within 1 hour of starting home brew - OK?

jennyss

Yesterday I started my fourth home brew - another Coopers Australian Pale Ale.  I could see sediment forming on bottom of the FV within 1 hour of starting the home brew - Is this OK? I'm sure I mixed the extract and the BE in well. Brew temp is 20 deg. 

+1 as the others have said. I sometimes make kit and kilo brews for my dad and I don't even bother to mix it. Pour it in fill it up with water and add the yeast. Comes out exactly the same as a mixed one. Only negative of not mixing is you won't know the ABV but a desktop number will give you within +/- 0.2 ABV or so anyway.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

A couple of months later - and a new 'cold break' question. I started a brew of Coopers Pale Ale yesterday; all kit ingredients.  As  usual I saw the yeast granules (I think) floating steadily to the bottom and forming a sediment on the bottom. About four hours after that I saw bigger lumps of 'stuff' floating upwards and sticking below the surface of the brew. The brew also had a 3/4 inch thick crust already formed on top. 'Good job' I thought. This morning the 'cold break' has disappeared and the surface of the brew is back to a lighter bubbly film. 

Any hints as to what is happening? Brew temp is 20deg.

12 hours ago, jennyss said:

A couple of months later - and a new 'cold break' question. I started a brew of Coopers Pale Ale yesterday; all kit ingredients.  As  usual I saw the yeast granules (I think) floating steadily to the bottom and forming a sediment on the bottom. About four hours after that I saw bigger lumps of 'stuff' floating upwards and sticking below the surface of the brew. The brew also had a 3/4 inch thick crust already formed on top. 'Good job' I thought. This morning the 'cold break' has disappeared and the surface of the brew is back to a lighter bubbly film. 

Any hints as to what is happening? Brew temp is 20deg.

good job i think too.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jennyss said:

Any hints as to what is happening?

Sounds like you are brewing beer and the current brew is doing what it should.

I have had floaties in my brews before.  It has a lot to do with temperature.  In my case, they disappeared within a day too.  Sometimes you get negative and positive charged particles in your brew.  They are attracted to each other and can form floating clumps.  Vigorous yeast activity usually breaks them up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1