Coopers Community

Beer stone?

A good long soak in sodium percarbonate should get rid of this. Not sure what it is but I noticed it around my chiller after a few uses but since I drop the bugger into the tub with the SP solution together with the other brewing gear, it hasn't occurred again.

What it is, I have no idea though.

• Thanks 1

I clean mine with a soak of sodium percarb at about 80c. Then let it soak overnight. I then heat it up again and transfer into my cubes and give them a soak with the same solution. The soak cleans probably 70 or 80% off and I do this about every 3 batches. Citric acid does work better than sodium percarb but won't get it all off either in my experience. Every about 6 months or so I'll get the steel wool out and clean it. Then repassivate it with citric acid. Comes up like brand new.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/13/2022 at 1:38 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

Citric acid gets rid of that stuff. I clean my urn with it after each batch. Boiling it removes most then I just scrub off the rest once it cools down enough. 

+1 to @Otto Von Blotto who recommended it to me before. I tried it on my large stainless pot leaving the bottom of the pot brand new. It was amazing turned into like silicon or glue and it peeled and fell off requiring a small amount of scrubbing.

• Like 2