Coopers Community

Spent trub for veggie gardens?

Mikes15

Having always poured mine away the thought crossed my mind of weather there's any use for it & Googling provided a good few answers ranging from salvaging the yeast to putting the trub into banana smoothies!!

Also what seems to be widely done is adding to compost or using on veggie gardens, I'm thinking of diluting the next brews trub down and simply watering it over the beds, anyone used there's in this or a similar way?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mikes15 said:

Having always poured mine away the thought crossed my mind of weather there's any use for it & Googling provided a good few answers ranging from salvaging the yeast to putting the trub into banana smoothies!!

Also what seems to be widely done is adding to compost or using on veggie gardens, I'm thinking of diluting the next brews trub down and simply watering it over the beds, anyone used there's in this or a similar way?

I have always put mine in the garden, just hose out the FV & spread it around, it is beneficial to compost as the yeast tends to help break it down, I have no evidence to suggest it is either good or harmful to lawns & gardens but that's where mine goes.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mikes15 said:

what seems to be widely done is adding to compost

Agree pretty much with all of the above haha👍

But yeah I would suggest you would be better off adding last bit of beer and yeast trub to some sort of composting arrangement together with vegetable scraps and benign green waste - and as mentioned above - yeah put the spent grain in there as well... but let it all compost down a bit before adding to your beds...  if in a tumbler good to throw in some soil in thin layers between additions of fresh organic matter I reckon... and I think that with your composting too as pH drops can be useful to buffer back up with a bit of lime every now and then 🤔

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marty_G said:

Mine goes on my lawn and you can see where I have emptied the FV green as. 

Well if you look at it another way if it's safe enough to make beverages with I hardly think it is going to harm the lawn, grain on another matter stinks like hell.

I split a bit last brew trying to put in a container to bin it & it ponged for days.

On 4/12/2022 at 6:15 AM, Mikes15 said:

what seems to be widely done is adding to compost or using on veggie gardens, I'm thinking of diluting the next brews trub down and simply watering it over the beds, anyone used there's in this or a similar way?

Been doing exactly that for years now. Great lettuce and tomatoes go bonkers. You can also put it on your grass as a labour saver - it comes up half cut!

• Haha 5